UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Aug 2020, 9:38 am   #1
Marti90
Diode

Red face Sony WM-FX17 (walkman)

Hello all,
Hope this finds you well.

I am not sure I am in the right place (section of forum) and I apologise if I am mistaken.

I bought a Sony walkman (WM-FX17) but it plays slow.

I did some research online and it could be 3 things: battery, belt and motor speed.

I change the batteries, still same issue.

I opened it up and changed the belt (Deck Tech, precision drive belt kit), still same issue.

I found the motor speed part and used a mini screwdriver to turn it and it seems it was working but then as soon as I move the walkman it goes back playing super slow. It's like it's unstable.

What should I try next? Could that motor speed regulatpr be broken?

Should I give up and ask for professional help?

(I never fixed anything before)

Thanks in advance.

Martina
Old 5th Aug 2020, 6:41 pm   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Sony WM-FX17 (walkman)

Hello Martina,

Not necessarily easy things to fix, especially for a beginner.

Does the tape fast wind work OK in both directions ? am wondering if there could be sticky tape deposits on the Playback (PB) head that is slowing the tape drive down, have you tried cleaning the PB head.

Does the radio section work normally ?

David
Old 6th Aug 2020, 12:04 pm   #3
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Sony WM-FX17 (walkman)

check how the motor is mounted, if there is some rubber suspension it could have gone soft. Also check nothing is dragging on any part of the belt path.
Closed Thread