UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Aug 2021, 12:28 am   #1
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default Old calculators.

Split from this thread:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=182426

I have (among too many other HP calculators) an HP15C, and an HP15C special edition, which has an ARM processor and goes like a rocket as compared with the original. Otherwise identical functionality.

Craig
Old 1st Aug 2021, 11:49 am   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: RS 8 page catalogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
HP11C.... "Woodstock" family of calculators, early 1980s
I'll agree with the date, but the HP11C is a 'Voyager'. The 'Woodstock' family is the HP21, HP22, HP25, HP25C, HP27, HP29C family from the mid-1970s.

The HP11C (scientific) and HP12C (financial) were the first 2 members of the Voyager family to be released, They were later joined by the HP15C (advanced scientific with solve, integrate, etc), the HP10C (cut down scientific, which did not sell well) and HP16C (computer programmer's machine with bit operatons, binary/octal/hex modes, etc).

The Voyagers used the NUT processor, similar to the one in the HP41C series. Alongside it was another chip that contained the ROM, RAM and Display Driver. This was (officially) called R2D2.

The Woodstocks used the ACT processor (Arthmetic, Control and Timing). Most were PMOS. But to make life interesting the HP27 (only) is NMOS, the power rails inside are totally different.
Old 1st Aug 2021, 2:01 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

You're right, and I have two of the things! (11Cs) Voyager they are

CMOS and batteries last for years.

Still have my original HP45.

David
Old 1st Aug 2021, 2:37 pm   #4
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Never had an 11C (not much point when I have a rather large HP41 system) but I still use my 16C _a lot_. You're right, the batteries last for years.

I assume you know about the stopwatch in the HP45.
Old 1st Aug 2021, 3:44 pm   #5
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

HP34C, HP15C, HP15C special edition (ARM processor), HP12C, HP12C Platinum, HP28S, HP50g, HP35S and HP Prime. And two HP82240B IR printers.

Yeah, I know. Just don't get me going on the Tektronix, HP and General Radio test gear, the slide rules or the fountain pens.

Craig
Old 1st Aug 2021, 4:04 pm   #6
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I guess I can post my little collection (just the calculators...):

Desktop calculators : HP9100B, HP9810, HP9820, HP9830, HP9815, HP9825, HP9831

Handhelds : HP35, HP45, HP55, HP65, HP80

HP67

HP21

HP97

HP31E, HP32E, HP33C, HP34C, HP38C

HP12C HP16C

HP41C, CV, CX, card readers, thermal printers, barcode wands, ROM modules, HPIL, MLDL

HP71B, HPIL, card reader, modules

HP75C, modules

HPIL tape drives, disk drives, thermal printers, thinkjet printers, impact dot matrix printer, HPIB, RS232, parallel, video interfaces

HP28C HP19BII

HP48SX HP49GX HP49

And probably some that I've missed. I think I've been inside just about every HP handheld, including the 95C...
Old 1st Aug 2021, 4:25 pm   #7
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

There is clearly hope for me yet!
Old 1st Aug 2021, 5:00 pm   #8
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
I assume you know about the stopwatch in the HP45.
Mine has the crystal fitted
Old 1st Aug 2021, 6:48 pm   #9
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Is this becoming a thread of it's own?
Actually, surely, there must be one very much like it already in existence?
Old 2nd Aug 2021, 2:07 pm   #10
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Default Re: Old calculators.

Thanks Mods for splitting the thread.
As HP was being discussed it has reminded me of an HP67 I have had in the shed for a long time.

It's original battery pack went defunct and is now lost. I don't suppose there is any chance of obtaining a replacement apart from making something from scratch.

The 3 way connector for the DC supply is also gone - would that be the same story would anyone happen to know please?
Old 2nd Aug 2021, 3:22 pm   #11
TonyDuell
Dekatron

There was a chap in the States who made replacement battery packs for these calculators. I have no idea if he still does, but looking on E-bay may be worthwhile.

Alternatively you can put new cells into an old pack. It's just 3 NiCd cells in series. I probably have a spare housing and contact strips somewhere, the problem would be finding them.

Originally (HP35) the 3 pin power connector was wired so that the middle pin was logic ground, one outside pin was +4V or so to the logic, the other went to the +ve side of the battery. A spring contact connected the outside 2 pins when the charger wasn't plugged in so that the battery powered the calculator. The charger contained a voltage regulator to run the logic and a constant current supply to charge the battery.

In the models with card readers -- HP65 and HP67, it's much the same but the card reader IC runs directly off the battery. As a result these machines will not handle cards if there isn't a good battery fitted. In fact, in the case of the HP65 the card reader chip can be damaged if you plug the charger in without a battery (or with an open-circuit battery) in the calculator, it can't stand the 15V or so open-circuit voltage of the constant current side of the charger. Note that this applies even if the calculator is switched off! The card reader chip was modified to withstand this voltage, and HP67 machines should be safe, but it's not a good idea to risk it. Some people like to charge the battery outside the calculator as a result, there was even a little HP battery holder unit ('Reserve Power Pack') that connected to the normal charger and took a battery pack.

It is not clear what you are missing. The 3 pins on the calculator? The socket on the end of the charger lead? Or the complete charger unit?

Mains chargers do turn up from time to time, they are not that rare. The 12V charger to power the machine in a car is a lot rarer. So is that battery holder thing I mentioned.
Old 2nd Aug 2021, 4:36 pm   #12
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

HP33C here - bought for me by my father from a company called "Sumlock Bondain" in Birmingham for me to take with me when I went to Uni.

[I believe Sumlock Bondain were associated with the 1960s ANITA calculators]

The HP33C still works - sort-of. It's got the dreaded poor-contact-between-the-chips-and-the-PCB issue so you sometimes have to squeeze it a bit to get all the digits to light. Also the little angled PCB-with-springy-contacts-riveted-on-it that serves as one wnd of the battery-compartment has suffered from battery-corrosion, one of the springy contacts became brittle and snapped off during a battery-change. It's botched with a soldered-on bit of the phosphor-bronze=wool stuff used as a RFI-proofing gasket.
Old 2nd Aug 2021, 4:52 pm   #13
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
[I believe Sumlock Bondain were associated with the 1960s ANITA calculators]
Yes, and they're still going, based now in Norwich.

"...Sumlock-Bondain, a company with its roots in the Sumlock-Anita calculator business. It was formed by people made redundant by the takeover of Sumlock-Anita by the U.S. giant Rockwell, who did not want to see their talents go to waste and decided to continue in that same business.
Originally they sold the Sumlock calculator range but when that was wound up by Rockwell, they found favour with Texas Instruments, for whom they are wholesalers, and with Hewlett-Packard, for whom they act as a main agent."

http://anita-calculators.info/html/d...ell_punch.html

Paul
Old 2nd Aug 2021, 4:55 pm   #14
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Thanks for the info. The whole battery assembly is gone. I was going to restuff it with NiCads but it never happened. I might come across it one day.

The tip about no battery and the card reader is good info. I won't risk it!

I have no charger / AC adaptor at all. I think the cable parted inside the housing and again it is long lost anyway. Might look out for a replacement if they do turn up from time to time.
Closed Thread