UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jul 2022, 10:38 am   #1
thenet12
Diode

Default Looking for more information on this Philips cassette recorder

Hello,
I'm hoping someone here have more information about this Philip cassette recorder like the model number. This way I can look into it and acquire one if possible. My dad owned this one 53yrs ago and he still has some tapes recorded from the days and wants to play them. It would be a great birthday gift for him to play his tapes on an exact player he had before.
Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	philip.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	260245  

Last edited by thenet12; 2nd Jul 2022 at 10:45 am.
Old 2nd Jul 2022, 11:11 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Looking for more information on this Philips cassette recorder

Are you sure about this? I thought Philips used the Norelco and Magnavox brands in the US because of some dispute with Philco.
Old 2nd Jul 2022, 11:12 am   #3
dazzlevision
Dekatron

It's probably a Norelco branded "Continental 175" - a rebadged Philips EL3303, circa 1968. Otherwise, it might have been a personal import into the USA...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3owjuUAayA

Due to Trade Mark conflicts, North American Philips couldn't use their own brand for many years, so they used Norelco.
Ford sold Philco’s consumer electronics operations to GTE (who owned Sylvania) in 1974. In 1981, GTE sold its Philco and Sylvania consumer electronics interests to Philips’ North American subsidiary, thereby allowing Philips to use that brand instead of Norelco in North America.
Old 2nd Jul 2022, 11:13 am   #4
thenet12
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlevision View Post
It's a Norelco "Continental 175" - a rebadged Philips EL3303, circa 1968.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3owjuUAayA

Due to Trade Mark conflicts, North American Philips couldn't use their own brand for many years, so they used Norelco.
Thank you so much for the information. I just did a quick search on eBay and other selling sites none have this model for sale.
Old 2nd Jul 2022, 11:15 am   #5
thenet12
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Are you sure about this? I thought Philips used the Norelco and Magnavox brands in the US because of some dispute with Philco.
I believe my dad bought it when he traveled to Europe and brought back to the US.
Old 2nd Jul 2022, 11:20 am   #6
paulsherwin

OK, fair enough.
Old 2nd Jul 2022, 2:49 pm   #7
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenet12 View Post
Thank you so much for the information. I just did a quick search on eBay and other selling sites none have this model for sale.
As I recall, this EL3303 wasn't very common and I've certainly never come across one. The Philips EL3300, EL3301 and EL3302 (battery only and smaller) models sold in their thousands.
Old 2nd Jul 2022, 6:59 pm   #8
Cruisin Marine
Heptode

I have seen EL3302's badged as Norelco and another name I can't recall, but was similar to Radiola or something.
Old 2nd Jul 2022, 7:03 pm   #9
paulsherwin

Radiola was the Philips France brand.
Old 6th Jul 2022, 10:02 am   #10
ben
Dekatron

I had a language lab version, the LCH1001. You still see these styles of Philips units in Spain.
Old 6th Jul 2022, 10:49 am   #11
knobtwiddler
Octode

Let's say that you find the exact machine. Bearing in mind it's a relatively rare model, what are the chances that it will be serviced? You will then potentially have to go on a wild gooose chase, working out the correct sizes for belts and rollers (which will most likely need replacing). You may then need to strip the mechanism in order to change said roller / belt, regreasing / oiling everything while you're at it. Have you ever serviced a cassette deck before? I'm not suggesting that you won't be able to do a good job, but it could require quite a bit of homework and time (they are often fiddly beasts). You will need some disposable tapes to ensure that the machine won't harm them before playing any precious tapes from 50 years ago. Don't put precious tapes near any machine that doesn't have a 100% bill of health.

I'm not trying to pour cold water on your idea - I'm sure your Dad will be chuffed. But there is a strong argument for purchasing another deck, i.e. one that's as late as possible, that's been serviced by a recognised technician. This will enable you to play the tapes safely, along with saving yourself quite a bit of time. The more common a deck is, the more likely are your chances of finding a good one.

If you have the tools and time to service the Philips, feel free to ignore my advice. Whatever option you go for, I wish you good luck!
Old 6th Jul 2022, 11:30 am   #12
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Good advice there.

Philips machines often have belts which dissolve into tarry goo over time, which is messy and time-consuming to clean off.
Old 6th Jul 2022, 2:15 pm   #13
DMcMahon
Dekatron

I think there was a certain period spread where Philips machines could later suffer with the rubber belts and rubber idler wheels turning to goo, i.e. earlier and later machines generally did not suffer so much.

I have no idea if your machine of interest date wise would be before, during or after the problem period.

David
Old 6th Jul 2022, 2:42 pm   #14
paulsherwin

I think all the EL330x series used the same transport mech. They're not known for gooey belts, unlike the R2R machines with their much bigger belts, but the main capstan belt will almost certainly need changing if it hasn't been done already.
Old 6th Jul 2022, 3:01 pm   #15
SeanStevens
Octode

thenet12

PM sent

SEAN
Old 6th Jul 2022, 4:01 pm   #16
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I've definitely had a gooey 3302 and the (later) NXXXX equivalent.
Closed Thread