UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jul 2022, 7:24 pm   #1
G4_Pete
Hexode

Default KW107 Supermatch Split stator capacitor advice

Hi,
I have a KW107 Supermatch ATU that I bought recently but on checking it out the split stator capacitor appears to have been distorted in that one section has even air gaps but the other section has a position offset giving a smaller air gap on one side of each vane. This is a bit odd in that I would have thought both sections would be affected but this is not the case.

my thoughts are I could try to bend the vanes to compensate for the distortion or shim the vanes tightly to maintain the gaps and re flow the solder the fixings carefully without the whole thing falling to bits. I have done the re solder trick before so I know it can work but both these options are risky and not ideal so I wanted to check if anyone had a split stator capacitor of this type they are willing to sell so that I can do a proper restore.

or any other advice accepted as these units are well worth restoring with their balanced output with no ferrites.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KW107_5021SS14B 325pf.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	260407   Click image for larger version

Name:	kw107 capacitor vanes.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	260408  
Old 4th Jul 2022, 8:06 pm   #2
G4_Pete
Hexode

Default Re: KW107 Supermatch Split stator capacitor advice

HI Moderators,
sorry, re reading this I am not sure if it crosses the threshold for "wanted" so please accept apologies and move if that is the case.
Pete
Old 5th Jul 2022, 9:18 am   #3
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Since you are really asking if this one can be repaired I would think it is fine.

From photo #2 it appears that only the left hand 4 vanes or so have this problem. Those to the right seem to have fairly even spacing either side. If that is the case isn't it just those 4 rotor plates that are in need of a slight bend?
Old 6th Jul 2022, 8:57 am   #4
G4_Pete
Hexode

Hi Jon, The vanes on this capacitor seemed really springy and looking again at the distortion I think it may have been due to misaligned mounting brackets in the ATU applying pressure and causing solder creep and distortion over the many, many years since manufacture. I don't think it would have left the Jackson capacitor factory like this.
Therefore I did not bend the vanes and went for a full rebuild instead.

I De soldered the fixing bars as in the first photo then gapped it with 0.5mm ptfe shims and re soldered it back together. The bearings and end contact were pressure pre loaded using 1/4 inch shaft connectors tightened on the shaft against the end plates which saved making a compression jig for the whole capacitor.

The final gaps are shown in the shadow photograph and it also passes a 1Kv insulation test, the shaft has a similar torque and end float so all good now.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kw107 capacitor dissassembled.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	260508   Click image for larger version

Name:	kw107 capacitor gap setting.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	260509   Click image for larger version

Name:	kw107 capacitor vanes after fix.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	260510  
Old 6th Jul 2022, 10:37 am   #5
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Looks like a good job! You were brave to do that but if you have done it before...
Closed Thread