UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Mar 2020, 5:21 pm   #1
Bigmike1958
Tetrode

Default Ferguson tv 3755

I’ve got a Ferguson tv 14 in 1980s portable tv model 3755 that does not light up checked plug n fuse but can’t find fuse inside tv can anyone help with details or picture where it is thanks mike
Old 2nd Mar 2020, 5:38 pm   #2
jayceebee
Heptode

Default Re: Ferguson tv 3755

Follow the grey lead from the on off switch to the chassis and unplug it, fuse should be under the cover if it's a TX9, a picture would really help also to determine what chassis is fitted.

John.

Edit. Yes it is a TX9 chassis

Last edited by jayceebee; 2nd Mar 2020 at 5:45 pm.
Old 2nd Mar 2020, 6:00 pm   #3
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Pretty sure that's a TX9 MkI. As John says, the fuse will be under the cover that forms part of the mains input plug. It's likely to be blown. Then the fun starts as the crowbar could have fired. Check for obvious shorts (bridge, degaussing thermistor, thyristors, series diode) then monitor the HT and see what it gets to - 117v is about right. A variac is very useful here. It's best to reduce the HT preset first (this can become intermittent causing random fuse blowing), but ISTR that the direction of rotation changed during production so I can't say which is the right way! You'll need a good stock of 1.6A antisurge fuses - the ones with the spring inside. Another very common fault back in the day was the small mains filter coil near the input connector. That can overheat and conduct, blowing fuses, though I think it's on the live side of the mains switch.
Of course it's just possible it's a Mk3 which has a redesigned PSU. That uses a chopper transistor on a heatsink and a TDA4600 so is easy to spot - the older version had neither.
Old 2nd Mar 2020, 6:33 pm   #4
jayceebee
Heptode

As Glyn says, it will be almost certainly a MkI or possibly a MkII, the giveaway is a huge choke at the rear of the chassis. Not all but some sets suffered from random fuse blowing, sometimes over days, weeks or many months. Several mods were introduced but it never fully went away until the chopper version arrived. These were excellent but all versions gave really good pictures.

John.

Last edited by jayceebee; 2nd Mar 2020 at 6:46 pm. Reason: typo
Old 3rd Mar 2020, 10:00 pm   #5
its ur aerial
Hexode

Random fuse blowing on the Mark 1, came across several with that fault, that I never completely repaired.
For 40 years I thought it was just me
It appeared to me, more common in the 18 inch version ? Ah..happy days at DER.
Ken G6HZG.

Last edited by its ur aerial; 3rd Mar 2020 at 10:03 pm. Reason: Gramour.
Old 4th Mar 2020, 2:45 pm   #6
Bigmike1958
Tetrode

Default Ferguson tv model 3755

I asked other day where the fuse was in my Ferguson tv 3755 model can’t find it is it under the rectangle metal covers one side by side o of each other can anyone help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24B8F6AB-E450-4D01-809D-C677C9AD7767.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	200209  
Old 4th Mar 2020, 2:52 pm   #7
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Used to keep a handful of best quality 1.6A spring loaded antisurge fuses in my pocket - nothing else would do. If you were unlucky you'd need to change the mains switch, the plug (really), the HT preset and if VERY unlucky most of the silicon in the PSU. Then wind the HT down till it lost colour, then up a tad. Then if that failed change the customer as their house wiring was to blame.
Old 4th Mar 2020, 4:03 pm   #8
jayceebee
Heptode

Here is the fuse location if it's a Mk1 or Mk2. On the Mk3 it's situated at the front of the chassis under the bowl of the CRT. You will need to remove the aerial socket from it's plastic bracket to withdraw the chassis for better access.

John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tx9.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	200218  

Last edited by jayceebee; 4th Mar 2020 at 4:19 pm. Reason: more info
Closed Thread