UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Old 6th Jul 2020, 2:36 pm   #701
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: 405-Line VHF Aerials 2013 to the present day.

I bet people in strong signal areas carried on using them for 625 UHF. Just a thought, in a very strong signal area would it be possible to receive a modern day digital TV signal good enough to get a picture?
Old 7th Jul 2020, 11:20 am   #702
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
I bet people in strong signal areas carried on using them for 625 UHF. Just a thought, in a very strong signal area would it be possible to receive a modern day digital TV signal good enough to get a picture?
Even close to Winter Hill, the early sets had valve tuners and the NF at the top end of Band 5 was poor, needed every bit of signal to get a snow free picture. Transistor tuners were a great improvement.
No doubt some could get by with the wrong aerial but we couldn’t from Winter Hill and it was line of sight.
In 1969 when all 3 stations were on UHF we usually fitted a new aerial with a new set.
Old 7th Jul 2020, 11:26 am   #703
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Even close to Winter Hill, the early sets had valve tuners and the NF at the top end of Band 5 was poor, needed every bit of signal to get a snow free picture. Transistor tuners were a great improvement.
No doubt some could get by with the wrong aerial but we couldn’t from Winter Hill and it was line of sight.
In 1969 when all 3 stations were on UHF we usually fitted a new aerial with a new set.
Thanks Frank. I was just trying to say that I bet some people, signal level allowing, simply carried on with their old VHF aerial if they could get a picture.
Old 7th Jul 2020, 11:39 am   #704
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Hi Steve,
On the lower frequencies of Band 4 it probably did occur, especially with transistor tuners. We had quite a lot of fun and games in the early days get noise free pictures on Band 5.
Philips valve tuners seemed to perform better than those from RBM and Pye.
Old 7th Jul 2020, 12:38 pm   #705
Focus Diode
Octode

Certainly, when we lived in Durham, not far from Pontop Pike and Burnhope, BBC2 reception was awful from the attic VHF aerial. Chs 5 and 8 were received perfectly however. So, despite the horizontal mounting, a UHF aerial is/was a must.

Funny to think years later, reception of ATV from Oxford UHF was better on a fixed six element Band 2 aerial than it was from a UHF rotatable one which was a bit odd!
Focus Diode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2020, 6:16 pm   #706
Rhgbristol
Triode

The following photo was taken, whilst stuck at temporary traffic lights on Muller Road, Bristol last Friday evening.

It is an aerial I have noted for years, to me a local landmark, and I'd notice it straight away if it ever disappeared ! Have always looked up at it, even though my eye should be on the road!!

It a Band 1 VHF TV aerial, that would have provided its household with BBC 1, from Wenvoe, before we had the Mendip transmitter of 1970 to serve us in Bristol.

Not sure of the make - a sort of folded dipole arrangement, which I used to see a lot of in Bristol in my childhood - possibly Telefield, a local manufacturer, now long defunct, from 259 Kingsland Road St Philips, Bristol ? - Does anybody else recognise it?

The two contract style UHF aerials on the neighbouring property, pointing to Mendip, I guess were added to an existing mast, (now truncated) which appears to be 2" diameter - I guess when first added to this mast, the mast may have supported a larger VHF array further up top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VHF aerial muller road.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	215086  

Last edited by Rhgbristol; 6th Sep 2020 at 6:25 pm.
Rhgbristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Sep 2020, 10:22 am   #707
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Looks in remarkably good condition for its age. We used to receive mendip down in Charmouth. When Stockland Hill went UHF you couldn't get a decent signal down in the town because of severe ghosting. They put up a tower at 'Stonebarrow' on the cliffs, received a signal from Mendip and converted it to VHF, it was distributed by a wired system called 'Viewline'. They also had it in Lyme regis and Beer.

Of course you needed a dual standard set to be able to receive it. There is now a Stockland Hill repeater on the site.

Peter
Peter.N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Sep 2020, 12:41 pm   #708
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhgbristol View Post
The following photo was taken, whilst stuck at temporary traffic lights on Muller Road, Bristol last Friday evening.

It is an aerial I have noted for years, to me a local landmark, and I'd notice it straight away if it ever disappeared ! Have always looked up at it, even though my eye should be on the road!!

It a Band 1 VHF TV aerial, that would have provided its household with BBC 1, from Wenvoe, before we had the Mendip transmitter of 1970 to serve us in Bristol.

Not sure of the make - a sort of folded dipole arrangement, which I used to see a lot of in Bristol in my childhood - possibly Telefield, a local manufacturer, now long defunct, from 259 Kingsland Road St Philips, Bristol ? - Does anybody else recognise it?

The two contract style UHF aerials on the neighbouring property, pointing to Mendip, I guess were added to an existing mast, (now truncated) which appears to be 2" diameter - I guess when first added to this mast, the mast may have supported a larger VHF array further up top.
I see one of these band 1 Wenvoe ch 5 aerials on my way into work. Its in Bitton on the A431 Bristol to Bath road. It seems to be holding up very well whilst the band 3 ch10 St Hilary aerial has more or less gone with only a few bits to be seen.
Old 7th Sep 2020, 2:17 pm   #709
Jim - G4MEZ
Tetrode

A nice array in Newport Pagnell and in very good condition too

Spotted during one of my early morning runs a few weeks ago...

I know of at least another two in the town but they're hard to photograph with my limited photographic kit and talent...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	oldarray.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	215131  

G4MEZ
Jim - G4MEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Sep 2020, 6:07 pm   #710
Focus Diode
Octode

This amazing structure is still standing in the heart of Bath, exactly as it appeared in this photo taken a few years ago.
Wenvoe ch5 and St.Hilary ch10.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200908_161952.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	215235  
Old 30th Oct 2020, 10:35 am   #711
Andy Green
Hexode

Here’s one I have been meaning to post for years, I said I’d do it while some of it still exists! It’s in Tramore, near the Church looking east, I’d say it was for Haverford West / Prescelli, many of the old band 1 /3 were vertical, there were several transmitters to pick from for UK TV, especially in the VHF days
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1485.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	219205  
Andy Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Oct 2020, 10:51 pm   #712
murphyv310
Dekatron

There is still an "X" on channel 3 in my street, it even glints in the sunshine (a rare occurance TBH) and looks very good for its age.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF6823.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	219334  
murphyv310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Nov 2020, 10:53 am   #713
SteveCG
Nonode

Re: post no. 706

The double folded dipole 'X' could be a 'Dublex' brand from the early 1950s or it could be an Aerialite brand one - difficult to tell unless you have it in your hand!
SteveCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Nov 2020, 11:02 am   #714
SteveCG
Nonode

Re: post no. 710

The Band III double 11 is a Belling and Lee - a nice design that really would be close to twice a single 11 in terms of output signal power. Many doubles have the two arrays too close together for a power increase, rather they were used for their anti-ghosting properties.

The Band I three element is a later J-Beam design with their characteristic dipole holder/junction box.
Old 1st Nov 2020, 11:04 am   #715
SteveCG
Nonode

Re post no. 712

... In contrast to the 'X' (likely to be an Antiference Antex), there is not much left of the Band III is there ...
Old 10th Nov 2020, 10:55 pm   #716
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Took this picture in September. This aerial array was put up in the sixties and is still holding up well. Located near Blaydon, Tyne and Wear.
Aerial is directed to the Pontop Pike and Burnhope transmitters.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	405Aerial_4.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	220091  
FERNSEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Nov 2020, 2:33 am   #717
Focus Diode
Octode

Know the location of that David. On a hill where reception would be difficult. The UHF aerials all look towards Fenham. It looks as if half the BIII array is missing yet the BI aerial is remarkably intact.
Old 11th Nov 2020, 1:24 pm   #718
michamoo
Hexode

Well it seems this old timer from my post earlier in the thread has succumbed to recent storms and disappeared from the Ely skyline. The Band 3 rhombic is still there alone on its pole though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	43880622_10155915348325838_7562422120936898560_n.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	220115  
Old 12th Nov 2020, 10:28 pm   #719
nigelr2000
Heptode

I had my chimney rebuilt as it had big cracks in it, there was a bracket and wire strap round it, probably all that was holding it together, and I thought to myself bet that held a VHF aerial at sometime and someone on here will be able to name the manufacturer

Pics can be viewed here ******************************BUE5RhVRA3kqiAed7
nigelr2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Nov 2020, 11:14 pm   #720
M0AFJ, Tim
Hexode

There are still quite a few of band one and band three antennas on chimneys in the old railway town of Wolverton, now part of Milton Keynes, most seem to be pointing towards the old Belmont transmitter.
Next time I can get up that way (post Covid) I’ll take some pictures
M0AFJ, Tim is offline   Reply With Quote