UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Mar 2013, 6:15 pm   #1
8 Tracker
Hexode

Default Sony Super Beta

Hello all,
I have had a Sony SL-HF950 for quite a few years now, though it has never seen much use while in my posession. I replaced the heads when I first got it, as there was quite a lot of picture drop-out, then it got left at the bottom of the pile. Now I have been given a box of brand new "Pro-X" tapes, which you have to use if you are going to record in Super Beta Pro mode. I thought I might use the beast a little more, now that I have some good tape to feed it with. I would like to do a full alignment on the machine, but can't seem to find any info on the web. Does anyone have any service or setup data on on this model?
Mark.
Old 17th Mar 2013, 12:51 am   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Sony Super Beta

I've heard numerous accounts first hand of these machines being picky with tapes, showing excessive drop outs on all but very new tapes that had fewer than ten passes. Not sure why this might be.
Old 17th Mar 2013, 4:32 am   #3
ntscuser
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
I've heard numerous accounts first hand of these machines being picky with tapes, showing excessive drop outs on all but very new tapes that had fewer than ten passes. Not sure why this might be.
I've had tapes labeled "S-VHS" (Maxell) which were clearly nothing of the sort and totally wrecked the performance of my S-VHS machine.

I suspect the same may be true for some Super-Betamax tapes?
Old 17th Mar 2013, 9:40 am   #4
8 Tracker
Hexode

Yes, I thought about that as well (thanks for the info), but once I replaced the heads, the drop-out problem disappeared. The tapes I have are genuine, sealed Sony Pro-X tapes, which were brought out especially for this machine (I think).
I also heard that this model suffered with static discharges causing picture drop-out, but this machine has plastic flaps around the cassette carriage to dissipate the static. I believe this was a later mod.
I don't have any major problems with the machine, just a little bit of ghosting on light/dark transitions. I wanted to go through the alignment to make sure everything was as it should be before I start using it. It seems service information is rarer than the machine.
Mark.
Closed Thread