UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Mar 2013, 7:06 pm   #1
RichClaytonHull
Retired Dormant Member

Default Dynatron CTV 55

Hello there, I have today bought myself a Dynatron CTV55, or so the label on the back of it says.

With a bit of minor tinkering in terms of getting a freeview feed into, it's working great. I'm presently watching Bergerac on Yesterday

I've googled the model, and I can't find anything. Does anyone know anything about it?

It has buttons for BBC1, BBC2, and ITV. So presumably before the advent of Channel 4, which from memory was '82?

It has a remote control, which isn't infra red, guessing it's radio controlled, but not 100% on that.

The cabinet is pretty cheap looking, by the look of it plywood with some kind of wood effect transfer? but again I'm not 100%.

My best guess is, and it isn't based on much, is that it's from around '80-'82.

I've got some photos of it working, but not sure how to get into this posting. I'll have a read and see if I can get it to work.

Thanks in advance,

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S5005119.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	77471   Click image for larger version

Name:	S5005116.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	77472   Click image for larger version

Name:	S5005117.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	77473   Click image for larger version

Name:	S5005118.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	77474   Click image for larger version

Name:	S5005120.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	77475  

Old 14th Mar 2013, 8:47 pm   #2
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Re: Dynatron CTV 55

It's an ultrasonic remote control system so it's likely the set was made before 1978. It has the G11 chassis I'd guess because I believe all K30 remote control sets employed the RC5 infra red system.
Philips and Pye experts will confirm if I'm correct.

DFWB.
Old 14th Mar 2013, 8:52 pm   #3
ntscuser
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichClaytonHull View Post
The cabinet is pretty cheap looking, by the look of it plywood with some kind of wood effect transfer? but again I'm not 100%.
It doesn't look cheap at all to me? That's a nice peice of furniture you've got there!
Old 14th Mar 2013, 9:11 pm   #4
stubbyeddy
Pentode

Nice find!!, I really want one of these! but as vintage is the IN thing at the moment my 26" ITT cvc5 looks retro enough to look cool. I was "instructed" not to clad it up in a mock antique TV cupboard Funny i thought i would be safe with a Dynatron lol

Those Dynatrons cabinets are very nicely veneered like a lot of sets used to be with proper wood veneer but its just plywood underneath, make sure you store it dry as if they are stored damp then all the layers come apart!
Old 14th Mar 2013, 9:27 pm   #5
RichClaytonHull
Retired Dormant Member

Well I'm proper astounded. It looked too "new" to be from the 70's. I really bought it on a whim... or a mid life crisis as the Wife says... Felt the need to get back to the decade I was "built" in, so been stocking up on 70's classics, Brut, GPO 746 telephone, oh, and giant Y fronts... the TV was the natural next step.

The remote is sonic... amazing, I genuinely didn't even know these existed, let alone would still be working as it is. Everything works... I really can't believe it.

I feel vindicated in my purchase now. Just been watching Top of the Pops from 1978, and it really worked well.. watching a spritely Tony Blackburn introducing the acts... fantastic.

Thanks to all the comments, very informative, and helpful.

Cheers
Rich
Old 14th Mar 2013, 9:54 pm   #6
MALC SCOTT
Octode

If it is a G11 chassis, the 470mfd main smoothing cap should be replaced. Loose rivets on the terminals destroy the crt and other parts. There will also be loads of dry joins to resolder. Not a big job, but better be safe than sorry.
Old 14th Mar 2013, 11:18 pm   #7
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

A nice period set from the late 1970,s. The Philips G11 chassis did give a good account of itself. But you do need to check if the main smoothing capacitor has been replaced, it could save you a lot of heartache.
Old 14th Mar 2013, 11:59 pm   #8
nigelr2000
Heptode

If its a red cap its probably one with the rivets problem. Also check seem to remember the frame output flyback boost cap (100 mf as I recall) as that used to destroy the chip quite effectively. Seems amazing to think these were a new chassis when I started in the TV repair business and now they are a collectors item.
Old 15th Mar 2013, 12:05 am   #9
MALC SCOTT
Octode

The TDA2600 frame ic holder also gave problems. Still got some new ones.
Old 15th Mar 2013, 12:35 am   #10
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I remember going to a secondhand TV warehouse probably in the '80s and they had a pile of those up against one wall, you could have one free with every set you bought! How times have changed.

Peter
Old 15th Mar 2013, 1:01 am   #11
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Check the serial number of the set. If it is prefixed with the letters HU then the chassis was made at the Lowestoft works. All the Pye G11 sets were assembled there and the opinion was that those sets were better than those assembled at the Croydon plant. Seemed to be less troubled with dry soldering joints. A Croydon set will have the prefix BA before the serial number.

DFWB.
Old 15th Mar 2013, 9:24 am   #12
RichClaytonHull
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks again for all the information. The prefix is HU, and I foolishly thought it had something to do with where we live, Hull

Where would I find the smoothing cap in the TV, and where would I find a replacement?

I have a soldering iron, and solder... although I'd hate to knacker a working telly

I'm still amazed by the remote control...

It does make you wonder what in the future will become collectable. I have a 28" widescreen that I bought in '99. In perfect working order, but no one wants them nowadays... despite trying to sell it. Who knows in thirty years time, they may be sought after.

Timewarp back to the 70's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S5005140.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	77488  
Old 15th Mar 2013, 12:45 pm   #13
MALC SCOTT
Octode

A photo of the inside of the set will help locate the smoothing cap. Place an add in the forum wanted section for a G11 smoothing cap (large rivets type).
Easy job if you have basic soldering skills, Malc.
Old 15th Mar 2013, 1:18 pm   #14
bobbyball
Octode

I have one, NOS, if I can find it, will have a look...

Robert
Old 15th Mar 2013, 1:25 pm   #15
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
Ditto...
Glyn
Old 15th Mar 2013, 4:53 pm   #16
RichClaytonHull
Retired Dormant Member

Cheers fellows.

For anyone else who hasn't got one here's a video of it in action on YouTube...

http://youtu.be/U-EAB18Lcoc
Old 16th Mar 2013, 10:41 pm   #17
AidanLunn
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichClaytonHull View Post
It does make you wonder what in the future will become collectable. I have a 28" widescreen that I bought in '99. In perfect working order, but no one wants them nowadays... despite trying to sell it. Who knows in thirty years time, they may be sought after.
It always happens with old sets - they are in vogue when new, go out of fashion at about 10 years of age, then they begin to become fashionable item about 30 years of age.

The same will have happened to your Dynatron in the late 80s/early 90s as will be happening to much more recent CRT sets now, like your widescreen.

I see 7/8 year-old CRT sets in charity shops now that, even when new, were cheap tosh with far superior build quality to the flat panel rubbish of today.
Old 18th Mar 2013, 10:42 am   #18
RichClaytonHull
Retired Dormant Member

Default Dynatron CTV 55

I'm enjoying my recent purchase, but I'm noticing a lot of whining, and it's not just the Wife moaning at me there's a high pitched whine coming from inside the telly. It changes tone dependant upon what's on the screen. I was watching an old episode of the Six Million Dollar Man, and when the titles were on at the start, it was really whining.

I do remember having an old 70's B&W portable telly that I used to run my ZX Spectrum on in the early 80's, and that used to whine too.

Presumably this is just the way it is with a CRT telly?
Old 18th Mar 2013, 11:13 am   #19
MALC SCOTT
Octode

The usual cause is the line lin coil on the raster correction panel at the top of the chassis. A good coating of araldite or just a cable tie around the coil should improve things.
Old 18th Mar 2013, 12:48 pm   #20
RichClaytonHull
Retired Dormant Member

Cheers Malc, I'll give that a try. Many thanks
Closed Thread