UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Mar 2013, 11:03 am   #21
MALC SCOTT
Octode

Default Re: ITT-KB CVC5 26" help

I have some new transductors if you need one
Old 7th Mar 2013, 2:01 pm   #22
Studio263
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
I'm sure there was a 20" CVC40 - or was that a CVC45? Diode-split LOPT and a farewell to British made ITTs.
Glyn
I've only seen two CVC40 variants, with remote control and without. They did them in silver or white, I thought that the white one was a particularly good looking set. The same thing was sold in Germany too. My CVC40 gave excellent results, Forum member Alan's Anitas has it now (I think).

The CVC45 used a 20" PIL tube but I'm sure they reverted to seperate LOPT / tripler arrangement for those - perhaps their dealers moaned about loss of income since the LOPT in the CVC40 was 100% reliable. In theory the CVC40 could have managed tubes up to 22" since it used the same Hitachi PIL types that the Thorn TX9 was fitted with, apart from a different resistor in the height circuit (selected by a link in the frame coil plug) there were no modifications to cope with this massive size range. The 22" TX9 is a bit of a rarity, I only ever saw a couple. It looks just like a TX10 but with an extra little box sticking out of the back to fit the 90 degree tube in, I always wondered why they bothered.
Old 7th Mar 2013, 3:03 pm   #23
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
I'm glad this CVC5 has found a good home - it's nice that, having earned its keep it wasn't just tossed into a skip!
I quite liked the CVC5s, though they were getting a little old when I started, and were thinner on the ground than the G8s, Bradfords and the 823s.
I remember going to a house to fix one and, in order to clean the CRT bowl, detached the final anode connector and lifted the chassis clear from the rails to replace the grommet. At that point I saw the valves start to glow and to my horror realised the child of the house had decided to turn the TV on! Thank goodness it wasn't a solid-state set and I had enough time - just - to replace the chassis and yank the mains plug out.
Maybe that coloured my opinion of the CVC5!
Glyn
Old 7th Mar 2013, 3:27 pm   #24
Tazman1966
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyball View Post
...The design of these sets originates from Germany (their version had a valve eht rectifier but wasn't much different otherwise) and our Continental cousins didn't do things "down to a price" like the Brits seem to need to do so I'm sure it can be "got better"...
Wasn't that the Combi Colour that was imported during the early seventies and over-run due to being for 220V mains supplies? I seem to remember reading that the EHT overwinds cost a small fortune...
Old 7th Mar 2013, 3:48 pm   #25
bobbyball
Octode

I may be wrong but wasn't the Combi Colour a Salora ("Finlux") chassis with lots of thyristors and coils?? I may however be muddling it up with the model known as the "Peacock" and also rentedout by Granada.

The German "version" of the CVC5 et al was I think made by Graetz and looked superficially similar to the CVC5 chassis with the exception of a valve EHT rectifier inside the "cage" instead of a tripler... The LOPT was said to be rarer than gold laced with platinum...

Robert
Old 7th Mar 2013, 4:08 pm   #26
Tazman1966
Nonode

Not sure Robert. Someone on here will know for sure!
Old 7th Mar 2013, 4:10 pm   #27
Tazman1966
Nonode

Eeek! Just read your anecdote Glyn! reminds me of one of the Les Lawry-Johns articles entitled "Suffer Little Children"
Old 7th Mar 2013, 5:32 pm   #28
bobbyball
Octode

Looks familiar??

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=0
Old 7th Mar 2013, 6:01 pm   #29
stubbyeddy
Pentode

Just wanted to put out a request for anyone thats near me thats got the right clobber and better idea then me to set up the convergence/geometry please do get in touch! Id like to rule that out before exploring further. Im just out side of Kerry near Newtown midwales.
Old 7th Mar 2013, 6:07 pm   #30
stubbyeddy
Pentode

Hi Glyn

Im pretty sure if i didnt have the set it would have ended up in the skip!! like so many others before. Seams a shame to have dumped a working TV, but no one likes how deep they are anymore, and the copper in them is worth more then the house space they take up. Sad we live in a time where style and fashion are more important than working condition, seams crazy!
Old 7th Mar 2013, 8:34 pm   #31
hans
Heptode

My wife wants me to replace my crts. She even bought a lcd. What I really want now is a good old set and an ITT would have been nice. My grand parents had one of the German ones. 22" with a thick neck in line tube. I repaired it once, it had a decoder fault. These sets had a big decoder module with TBA 530, 540 and some more ICs of similar size.

These sets were easy to fix and reliable.

There were no ITT hybrids sold here. They must have been ultra reliabe. 40 years service life is exceptional.
Old 8th Mar 2013, 5:03 pm   #32
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
That's an interesting link, Robert (#28). The early hybrid 'Burggraf 1045' looks terrifying with its double LOP and EHT stages (similar to the B&O hybrids). I wonder if the octal plug on the back was for a remote control?
The later one does look a bit like the CVC5, especially the customer controls, but I think was quite different when you got down to servicing it. I'm not sure but I think it used a conventional PL508 frame output instead of the PCL805. Was it called the CVC7 in this country?
And please don't mention the Finlux Peacock!!
Glyn
Old 8th Mar 2013, 5:59 pm   #33
bobbyball
Octode

It's a great link and the pictures just keep on coming. Lots of other models as well but a lot of shots of the chassis, or at least it's Continental couisn, that we are on about here.

The German versions were obviously very similar and I don't know whether they ended up using a tripler in the end. Even the convergence box is the same, with the stick on label being in German as opposed to English on our sets. Presumably our CVC5-9 range was a development of the German sets, with ITT having such German connections.

I certainly don't know of any in "our" range that used a PL508 instead of the PCL805 - this was a feature of the sets all the way through, with the "mild mannered" 805 "manfully scanning a 90 degree shadowmask tube" - a quote from somewhere though I can't remenber where. The CVC5 "morphed" into the CVC9 and 9-1 by using IC's instead of discrete transistors in the decoder and sync circuits, by "simpifying" the tone control to just a "top cut" button, by having an "ideal colour" button (remember the ads?) and finally a simple remote control rather like the Thorn 8800/9000 range.

They were (are) loved because the picture was "so" good, probably due to it's German origins where quality and features were more importnat than price unlike here. It's not a "modular" chassis and none of the boards are detachable but the whole chassis can be fairly easily taken out of the set and worked on at the bench if needed...

Robert
Old 9th Mar 2013, 3:57 pm   #34
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
Agreed - they were a good set, and the PCL805 didn't fail as much as was predicted - the main fault was a lazy valve. I wasn't so keen on the picture on the 8/9 series - similarly the Decca 30 wasn't as true as the Decca 10. They were easier to fix, however.
The only gripe I had was removing the IF strip fpr service - not easy, and fault finding was guesswork once it was out! I have a CVC8 here with a blank raster so I suspect I'll need to get it out one day.
Glyn
Old 9th Mar 2013, 4:02 pm   #35
stubbyeddy
Pentode

Update

Unfortunately the set now has no sound! I turned it on this afternoon to watch the rugby but no sound from the speaker :-( however if i turn the volume right up i can hear sound coming from inside the set round the back, I haven't pinpointed where yet. Please if anyone is near me that could take a look at the set for me id be very grateful

It is our main set and we have really enjoyed watching a bigger screen but for now it looks like im going to have to use the kitchen LCD tv for now again, typical it goes when you really want to watch something!! still cant complain really its done its job long enough!

Please help!!

Eddy
Old 9th Mar 2013, 4:07 pm   #36
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
if i turn the volume right up i can hear sound coming from inside the set round the back
That could be the audio output transformer, with the set unplugged, check the speaker connections/wiring.

Mark
Old 9th Mar 2013, 4:22 pm   #37
bobbyball
Octode

Can't remember without digging one of my sets from storage but the wires to the speaker may use push on tags (as opposed to being soldered): these can fall off or become oxidised with age creating a bad connection, which you sound like you have here...

Robert
Old 9th Mar 2013, 5:12 pm   #38
stubbyeddy
Pentode

Thanks guys

Yep right enough one speaker wire to the transformer was disconnected, Just soldered it back on and its working away as normal again. I always find it a bit unnerving going in the back of this!! Still better to treat it carefully and with respect!! especially with the high voltages !!

Just the picture adjustment again now

Eddy
Old 9th Mar 2013, 5:41 pm   #39
mark pirate
Dekatron

Glad you managed to sort it, these are excellent sets, I had the 22" model in the early 80's, the picture was superb, wish I still had it!

Mark
Old 9th Mar 2013, 6:13 pm   #40
stubbyeddy
Pentode

Hi Mark

yes your right, the picture is superb! had a few visitors since I had the set and although initially surprised we have such an old set they are astonished at the picture quality! and not just because of its age. I think its mostly because most people have cheapo LCD tvs and you so rarely in "normal" live encounter a CRT when you do you remember how nice they are to watch.

I worked at Currys for 5 years and when I first started there we had no flat panel televisions at all, it was 2001 and we just stared to go to the pure flat CRT's. The largest sets were 36" pure flat tubes that required 4 people to easily lift!! but the picture on them was amazing. About a year later we got the first LCD TV a Grundig 15" and being responsible for displaying the TVs I wasn't sure what to do with it as the price was £999, it seamed silly to just put it in with the portable tvs being far to expensive, but at the same time looked lost with the larger CRT's. In the end we poped it in with the portables where it went relatively unnoticed. The picture quality was terrible even compared with the cheapo Matsui sets! The transition to flat panel only sets was completed in 2005, but the interesting thing was all of the flat panel sets looked terrible when next to a CRT set so we purposefully separated the flat panels from the CRTs it was company policy, until in the end we just didn't stock CRTs. I honestly believe the powers that be stopped buying CRTS just so we could sell more flat panel sets and most importantly have more of them in stock in store, you could just pick a large flat panel set and take it home the same day! something you just couldn't do with a large 36" CRT set.

Eddy

Last edited by stubbyeddy; 9th Mar 2013 at 6:15 pm. Reason: spelling
Closed Thread