UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Feb 2013, 8:19 am   #121
audion_1908
Hexode

Default Re: My Bush TV43 restoration.

Hi, what about using the raspberry pi with an HDMI to VGA adapter and running it with a custom HDMI mode, and with the use of an rf modulator you would have 405 line tv? down side would be the cost of the HDMI to VGA adapter.

Custom HDMI modes for the raspberry
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/vi...p?f=29&t=24679
Old 13th Feb 2013, 9:28 am   #122
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

If the tube imploded and it is highly unlikely to do so, it would be more a case of the difficulty of finding a replacement for yourself!
Flying glass at force is the problem causing damage to your eyes. Wear simple goggles if you are nervous.
Seriously you should have no problem with it as implosion is VERY rare and is usually caused by careless handling or extreme changes in temperature, and I mean extremes such as bringing a tube in from the outside covered in snow and ice to a very hot room.
Just take sensible precautions but a brass diving suit and lead boots are not required.
Keep up the progress. John.
Old 13th Feb 2013, 10:01 am   #123
audion_1908
Hexode

I Wear some basic goggles when working on the CRT, and I will not be able to take the CRT out the wooden case as the rubber screen surround is perished but the cracks look good from the front and the nuts and bolts are rusted in.

I am still waiting for the last cap I need to finish the TV to arrive but I found a cap I could use use to test the TV till then, I dont know where I got it from but its 2uf 440v ac and made in 1996, I think its a Metal Film Motor Run cap, its a CMPS-J SH-H.P2 2.0uf U 40D 440vac 290014 c.1996 p.f9619, and just looks like a black box full of black epoxy? I think motor run caps are ok its the motor start caps that are junk?
Old 13th Feb 2013, 10:08 am   #124
audion_1908
Hexode

will the vibration in a car damage the CRT? as when its finished I would like to take it over to my brothers and back? and maybe a few times?
Old 13th Feb 2013, 10:21 am   #125
audion_1908
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
No need to get paranoid about the tube Stephen. I was just being a bit cautious as it is your first, or one of your first telly receivers. Just take it easy and give yourself plenty of time. Nice work by the way. That scan coil plug looks good to me that is if you have got the wires on the right pins.... So easy to make a mistake as I did a year back..What ever wire you have used will be fine. It is in no way critical. John.
this is my first time I fixed a TV but I did start on fixing an an/fm valve radio but had to stop as I could not find one of the needed cap sizes, I even built a basic valve tester for the radio project and it passed all the tubes and output tube that had smoke marks inside at about 80% that's fine, the ECL86 had a very leaky coupling cap, but the diy valve tester found a dead diode in a diode/triode tube. I have built some valve radios that where fun a few years ago.
I will have to get the ferguson radio out after the TV is working and try to track the last cap it needs agen?

Last edited by audion_1908; 13th Feb 2013 at 10:43 am.
Old 13th Feb 2013, 12:00 pm   #126
Station X

Quote:
I did start on fixing an an/fm valve radio but had to stop as I could not find one of the needed cap sizes
What capacitor size was that then?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 13th Feb 2013, 12:09 pm   #127
audion_1908
Hexode

I cant remember but I think it was the voltage rating that was giving me problems, but I will finish the TV first, I think the valve radio and data sheet are stored togeter.
it was sad to get stuck on such a small thing.
Old 13th Feb 2013, 2:29 pm   #128
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by audion_1908 View Post
will the vibration in a car damage the CRT? as when its finished I would like to take it over to my brothers and back? and maybe a few times?
No Stephen. Television picture tubes were designed to be quite robust. They had to be transported in lorries, delivery vans and the bumps of life.
It has suffered the sack barrow that transported it via the railway company when you picked it up, so no worries. John.
Old 14th Feb 2013, 2:39 pm   #129
audion_1908
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
No need to get paranoid about the tube Stephen. I was just being a bit cautious as it is your first, or one of your first telly receivers. Just take it easy and give yourself plenty of time. Nice work by the way. That scan coil plug looks good to me that is if you have got the wires on the right pins.... So easy to make a mistake as I did a year back..What ever wire you have used will be fine. It is in no way critical. John.
the hookup wire is rated at 240v ac 3 amps, hope the spikes are not to high!
Old 14th Feb 2013, 5:13 pm   #130
audion_1908
Hexode

I have had a look at the screening cans on the two valves on the RF board and they are 1cm shorter than the valve not including the pip, I have found a screening can for the ECL80 but its the same height as the valve, it fits but only if the spring is flat! do I need a 6cm screening can?
Old 14th Feb 2013, 8:24 pm   #131
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
I think motor run caps are ok its the motor start caps that are junk?
??! Nothing wrong with motor-start caps. They have a different design and function to motor-run caps. Motor-start caps are not designed for continuous operation....they are only required to start a motor. After that, they have do nothing until required to start the motor again. That means that it could be rated at 400V AC for short periods.

On the other hand a motor run capacitor is required to operate all the time the motor is running, hence it's name. These are designed for continuous operation.

It follows therefore that if you use a start capacitor in place of a run capacitor, it will fail quickly.

Rich
Old 14th Feb 2013, 8:43 pm   #132
audion_1908
Hexode

I thought so, so the 18 year old motor run capacitor will be fine, thats good to know as I have fitted it in the TV, also the graphics card for MythTV has arrived so all I have to do is build a computer for it and order and build the RF modulater.
Old 15th Feb 2013, 12:43 am   #133
audion_1908
Hexode

I will order the 405 line RF modulator on monday and start putting a dedicated computer together for the 405 line tv, and when the modulator kit arrives I will build it and test the tv.
Old 15th Feb 2013, 10:30 am   #134
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Have you got first light? Does the screen light up? You do not need a signal to test the receiver. J.
Old 17th Feb 2013, 4:14 pm   #135
audion_1908
Hexode

Not yet, but I will be back on Monday, I still have to check my work for any mistakes, but without a video source I won't see much!
Old 17th Feb 2013, 7:20 pm   #136
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
but without a video source I won't see much!

But you will see enough to tell you if the basics are working which is what we've been saying all along since you started. Suppose you find the tube is dud (very weak raster or none at all). Worse still if you find the LOPT is dead, find a replacement and then the CRT is dud? All this could have been assessed weeks ago!

Hopefully all will be OK.

Rich
Old 19th Feb 2013, 11:44 pm   #137
audion_1908
Hexode

I could have done less work and powered it up to test the lopt and CRT, but the rubber wire was rotten and would have had shorts all over the place, and the damp had probably finished off the wax caps, and the EHT unit was smashed plus you never know if you can reform a electrolytic cap thats been dormant for 30+ years, and it was a great practice and its the way I like to do things, I am working up to powering it up, I will check my work and build a limiter, I have loads of 60w bulbs and some used light dimmers, I could have it powered by Friday, I will film the first time I power it up!
Old 20th Feb 2013, 12:35 am   #138
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
[I have loads of 60w bulbs and some used light dimmers,

You can't use a light dimmer as a variac, assuming that is what you are implying.

Rich
Old 20th Feb 2013, 9:09 am   #139
Freya
Octode

I can foresee a surge of forumites on friday

Stephen

Last edited by Freya; 20th Feb 2013 at 9:32 am.
Old 20th Feb 2013, 9:18 am   #140
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I will keep a light burning in the window..[Perhaps 'Burning' is not a good choice]

All the same, the best of luck with it. We may all be surprised, you never know. John.
Closed Thread