UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Mar 2013, 3:30 pm   #81
bobbyball
Octode

Default Re: Earliest memories of 625

The earliest memory I have of a TV set was of a Fergusion "Courier" portable set my folks had when I was very young (born '66). It was a smart looking set, about a 17" tube with the controls below on a white grille. I think these were fitted with the BRC 1400 chassis. Must try and find one for my collection. Never remember actually seeing a picture on it thoug. The next set we had, for many years in fact, was a "Baird" branded BRC1500 chassis in a grey fronted plastic cabinet with "sprayed on" wood effect and a built in black and chrome magazine stand. It must have been the "cheapest" set Radio Rentals did - my mother, like her mother, was "mean" with household money!! It finallly succombed to a colour set in 1977, again the cheapest set RR could find presumably, a rather battered looking BRC 3000 set I think...

Robert
Old 13th Mar 2013, 5:03 pm   #82
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Earliest memories of 625

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
Probably for a different thread but the 11U also came in a plastic cabinet which sometimes melted!
Are you sure that was the 11U? I worked on many of these in the trade and never saw a plastic one. There was a Pye 'Pioneer' which I think had the option of 625 conversion that had a plastic cabinet. Did plenty of those as well but they were nothing like the 11U. Some did have front control layouts that looked similar to the 11U.

Our first new TV was an 11U which we got just in time for the opening of BBC2 in 1964. Not greatly impressed with the pictures as we were confined to an indoor aerial. We were only about 6 miles from Crystal Palace but were 'downhill' in Streatham so a lot of the signal went over the top.....Later with an outdoor aerial, things were much improved but it did get through PC86's and 88's though!

Still got the set and I've restored it after it was stored for 25 years. Now use it with an Aurora and it gives excellent 405 pictures.

Rich