UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Mar 2011, 6:47 pm   #1
boomer8
Retired Dormant Member

Default TV repairman needed.

I have a 1955 Kolster Brandes MF50 television which I inherited from my brother. Cosmetically its excellent - virtually as new. I've never switched it on, but he did, which I'm sure won't have done it any good. I'd like to take it someone who can assess the damage and carry out any necessary repairs as well as fitting an adapter to make it able to receive pictures again -basically to get it up and running (safely!). Can anyone recommend a repairman/shop in the Leeds area?
Old 25th Mar 2011, 2:08 pm   #2
rob77
Tetrode

Default Re: TV repairman needed.

Hi

Im not sure who is around the Leeds area, but if you fancy a holiday in Norfolk you could bring the set to me. http://www.vintagetvandwireless.com
We would be happy to help you out.

Regards
Rob
Old 26th Mar 2011, 1:05 pm   #3
AidanLunn
Heptode

The "adaptor" you speak of is either an Aurora or a Domino standards converter (usually around £200 if new). One of them is no longer made (I forget which one), so you can only get that second hand, but looking at some sets using them, they are well worth the money! They convert baseband video and audio into an RF stream on the VHF waveband, between channels 1 and 13 in 405-lines, AM audio modulation, positive video carrier modulation, which are the specifications for the so-called "System A" that these sets use.

I have to say you were wise not to plug the thing in without a competent technician testing it first. The parts will have aged to the point where some will no longer be able to tolerate the pressure applied to them in the current put through them. Therefore these components will fail and possibly cause more expensive damage to more irreplaceable parts inside if you just plugged it in and switched it on. Remember, old sets such as this, even if restored to pristine condition, will not conform to modern electricity safety standards for servicing (though, if working properly, I think they'll be safe to use, though don't quote me on that).

I may sound like I know quite a bit, but the regular members here will agree with me that I know nowhere near enough to be able to test and repair this set. Indeed, the EHT section inside a valve TV set frightens me!!! So this means that, even though I live near-ish to you, don't ask me as I won't look at it. I'm still learning electronics repair and I'm not willing to look at (and potentially ruin) something for someone else at the moment. Another thing is I'm only learning this for my hobby of collecting old TVs and VCRs and I'm not officially qualified at testing components properly.
Old 26th Mar 2011, 1:30 pm   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidanLunn View Post
One of them is no longer made (I forget which one)
The Domino is (as the site says) no longer available except (very occasionally) second-hand. The Aurora is the only converter currently in production - and used by many members of this forum. The only reason I don't have one is that I bought a Domino when they were still in production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidanLunn View Post
They convert baseband video and audio into an RF stream on the VHF waveband, between channels 1 and 13 in 405-lines, AM audio modulation, positive video carrier modulation, which are the specifications for the so-called "System A" that these sets use.
Just to clarify - this (and more) is true of the Aurora. The Domino is fixed at a specific channel - usually (if not exclusively) Band I channel 1.