UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jan 2011, 10:25 pm   #1
audiomagpie
Heptode

Default Mullard MW 31-74 tube

A few months ago I bought a scrap Ferguson 968T. It was cheap (a fiver) and near enough to collect. I already have a good working 968T (actually a 978T, the midlands version) with a cracked plastic screen surround trim (the white bit in my avatar) and a 988T (same cabinet and some trim parts) with a much worm damaged cabinet and no back panel, so using this scrap set will very much improve the two good examples I have. The vendors photographs showed the tube base connector and socket still connected together but dangling out of the bottom of the set. I'd assumed that the tube had been 'necked', so it was a bonus to discover that the tube was still intact and the base connector had been snatched off, leaving the wires protruding from the glass tube end!

So I want to re solder the base plug and try the tube in one of my sets-it might be a good 'un! I've found the heater wires and it glows nicely with an external 6.3v supply.
There are another 4 wires. I've removed the ion trap and focus etc. mechanism so I can see where the wires go inside the neck. One doesn't seem to go anywhere, the other three going to what I think are the cathode, grid and first anode. Are they simply in that order from the bulb pinch as on the schematic?

Also, the wires will need extending as they're not long enough now to reach through the insides of the base pins. I can solder and sleeve them then re fit the base connector plug over, then solder the wires to the pin ends. I would then intend to tape the base connector to the glass first to check things work OK. If successful, I would then want to glue the base back on- what sort of adhesive would be suitable?

The service manual for the set states that either MW31-18 or MW31-16 (ion trap) were used on this set. Am I right in thinking that this tube could be a later replacement?

Obviously I'll keep the tube body wrapped in a thick blanket and wear eye protection when I work on it! Note from the photo how the graphite coating has cracked like crazy paving- the glass looks OK underneath!

Thanks, Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mullard 31-74 001.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	44614   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mullard 31-74 002.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	44615  

BVWS committee chairman
Old 2nd Jan 2011, 10:33 pm   #2
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Mullard MW 31-74 tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomagpie View Post
what sort of adhesive would be suitable?
I asked the same question on the forum and was advised Araldite the two part slow dry. I did this on my MW22-16 and a 7205 worked a treat.

Chris
Old 2nd Jan 2011, 10:41 pm   #3
swordholder
Rest in Peace

I have successfully used EvoStick on valves without a problem, so should be OK for a CRT. Don't use superglue as I've been told it can cause cracking of the glass on valves, and presumably CRTs as well.
Old 3rd Jan 2011, 12:21 am   #4
Danny
Heptode

Hi i always use silicone bath sealant for this job as it wont hinder the expansion of the glass. but use a good quality sealant as some of the cheap ones dont set hard enogth to hold the base i dont see any gettering ? but these tubes are quite tuff and well worth saving . I have a firgy in the same state in my to do pile. Danny
Old 3rd Jan 2011, 7:01 pm   #5
Maarten
Dekatron

I'd go with the silicone, since manufacturers seem to have used something like that in later tubes.
Closed Thread