UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Oct 2005, 10:05 pm   #1
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Default Cossor 926 The resurection continues!

Hi All,

Following the bungle on my behalf with the previous thread relating to a mysterious 962 model, I have started one with the proper title!!

Ok, progress so far:

Sourced and fitted all valves except the 7c5 (a 6v6 is now fitted in its place)

Chassis run up on mains - No ht - traced to phantom spares recovery robbing dropping resistor.... resistor replaced, HT announces it's presence by rupturing a .001uf moldseal type thing in the rf deck......

Try for some hum on the audio stage - suprisingly quiet - oh dear, no HT again - 1.5K anode feed resistor inexplicably missing...... , so fit new anode resistor, and some sort of hum is available, but very quiet - finger on grid of audio bottle yields a pathetic click......

Attempt to measure cathode volts 87 volts? er maybe not - solution - fit missing cathode bias resistor....... now have a much more respectable 6.5 volts, and oodles of hum with the trusted MK1 signal injector (index finger left hand)

Ok, time to fit the 185BT line ouput bottle, and attach some form of tube.

Result - fantastic lightning storm from anode cap of tube - clean using some IPA (no, not beer - far to precious to waste ) then dry well with paper towel - lightning ceases.

No raster though - cathode volts measure approx 120 volts, first anode 55v??

Ok tele experts where to now?

Cheers
Sean
Old 9th Oct 2005, 10:06 pm   #2
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Default Re: Cossor 926 The resurection continues!

OK, I have a dim raster - crt volts as follows

A1 395v
G 135v
K 130v

A2 draws a 20 mm spark so plenty of volts there.......

I wonder if the crt is a bit tired, as I have to flog the brightness flat out....

Any ideas?

Sean
Old 9th Oct 2005, 11:08 pm   #3
Danny
Heptode

hi yes you should have a bright raster with those voltages have you tried a signal on the set? dont panic yet as the tube will probrably come to life with use! does the grid to cathode volts vary with the brightnes control? .
Old 10th Oct 2005, 8:59 pm   #4
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Right then, I have been through the whole set now, and replaced pretty much all of the capacitors (ive never used so may .001s ).

I can get a good amount of audio through (well, after I figured there was a short to ground in the volume control.....), and I can get some sort of signal through the video stages, however, I still need to run the brightness and contrast at full blast to do so.....

So, do I leave the set on to cook the tube up for a while, or do I start to look into a replacement CRM121?

All the tube voltages appear to be reasonable, and if you measure between grid and cathode you can see a change in voltage when a signal is present, as well as when you vary the brightness control...

Still, I am pretty pleased, as originally the set was offered as a spares donor....

Any words of wisdom?

Cheers
Sean
Old 10th Oct 2005, 10:02 pm   #5
Sean Williams
Dekatron

More to add.....

I fired up the "Darius Modulator" (ought to be a registered trademark! ), and after some faffing around with the controls I managed to get some sort of picture,

It appears to be split vertically across the screen though, is this a sync problem?

I also have problems with the width of lines, the picture is visibly spread too large, and no adjustment cures this.

I cannot post a screenshot unfortunatley, as the tube is too dim for the camera without a flash, and with the flash well, a whiteout occurs!

Cheers
Sean
Old 11th Oct 2005, 10:20 am   #6
oldeurope
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ecy
I also have problems with the width of lines, the picture is visibly spread too large
C32 TS1065? (Short him with alligator clips)

Kind regards
Darius
Closed Thread