UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Feb 2009, 9:39 pm   #81
Mikey405
Octode

Default Re: Ekco CT101 is alive (Actually a CT100(M))

Thanks Trevor, Lee, Tas, Trevor and everyone for your kind and encouraging comments. I've been very busy with work recently and haven't had much of a chance to do anything major to the set, but I'm hoping to get back to it soon. Attached is a picture of the set as it is working now. One odd problem is that the vertical shift is at the far end of the pot and the picture is still too low. I think that will be the next problem to look into.

Thanks everyone.

Kind regards.

From Mike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3013828.JPG
Views:	376
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	23468   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3013832.JPG
Views:	360
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	23469   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3013844.JPG
Views:	402
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	23470  
Old 28th Feb 2009, 11:42 pm   #82
Line whistle
Hexode

Hi Mike,
I think you've done a brilliant job so far. It's great to see a colour set of this type working. Fifties styling with a colour picture, that's something you don't see everyday.
Cheers
Des.
Old 1st Mar 2009, 1:28 am   #83
Danny
Heptode

Hi mike glad you got it going ive been hiding just incase things went bad . if you remember when i got the two sets thay both had broken tubes . the phillips set ended up in italy .The tube was supplied by good old gerry he was glad to rehome it. all i done to the set was fitt the tube. so the dud valves wernt my fault and will remain a mistery or was the set over run at some time?. Oh and dont forget i have the spare scanning yokes. Danny
Old 1st Mar 2009, 8:24 am   #84
TrevorM6TSE
Heptode

Brilliant stuff Mike, the picture is looking good!

Isn't that "willow the wisp?"
Old 1st Mar 2009, 1:58 pm   #85
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Really good , look forward to it getting better .
Old 1st Mar 2009, 4:36 pm   #86
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Superb Mike! The colour looks good, Is that just running through the video stage still or is the signal passing from the tuner?

Cheers
Lee
Old 1st Mar 2009, 5:10 pm   #87
Tazman1966
Nonode

Just to Ekco everyone else's comments, it's certainly looking pretty good now Mike. Nice to see the cartoon that spawned Evil Edna being displayed.
Old 24th May 2011, 8:04 pm   #88
Mikey405
Octode

Hi all again.

After a long break without doing anything further to the old Ekco, work has once again commenced in earnest. As reported previously, after replacing a disproportionate number of duff valves and sundry other components, there were still a fair number of faults to get sorted out. These included a frame-shift fault, line jitter, very poor saturation, an I.F. / R.F. fault, Hanover blinds from the simple-PAL decoder and flickering brightness. Added to that are a couple of other faults which have manifested since then – intermittent frame collapse and the R-Y flickering badly and the red background changing in sympathy.

First things first – The frame shift “fault” was cured by a mate of mine who roams this forum in the depth of night (Tony G8KBG). Tone came up with a suggestion to reverse the sense of the frame shift control, even though there was no obvious way shown anywhere in the slightly odd circuit. Following Tone’s advice and readjusting the shift control meant that the picture was now nicely centred.

The line-jitter turned out to be intermittent contacts on the line oscillator valve holder. A nice simple fault, although one I have yet to completely cure with Servisol and a fibre-pen on the valve pins. Maybe a new valve holder is in order.

The intermittent frame collapse turned out to be a very odd fault too – It was the ECL85 valve not making proper contact, but it wasn’t that the pins were dirty – it was that the pins were microscopically narrow. They’re like sewing pins, and they even finish at a sharp point. Another new ECL85 is in order I think.

The very poor saturation was caused by the Anode resistor in the 4.43MHz oscillator circuit. It was supposed to be 10K but had slithered all the way down to 63 Ohms. The saturation still isn’t wonderfully good but it’s much better than it was. Still a reasonable amount of work to be done on the decoder yet.

The flickering R-Y and changing red background was yet another duff valve - This time a 12BH7 valve. I purchased a new one and the problem has gone away.

Tas and I had a go at the R.F. / I.F. fault and got absolutely nowhere but I’ve got a few ideas lined up for that. All the work that we put in over the course of a Saturday has helped immensely though in understanding the layout of the circuit etc.

The flickering brightness is a proving to be a bit elusive but I’ll get to that eventually.

Anyway, the set is coming along again and hopefully it won’t be too long before it’s fit for taking down to Devon and putting in the museum.

As soon as there is any more news I’ll post it up here.

Thanks everyone (and thank you to Des, Danny, Trev, Paul, Lee and Tas for the previous kind comments that I rudely never replied to).

Kind regards.

From Mike.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ekco with Sylvia.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	51511   Click image for larger version

Name:	10K-63Ohms.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	51512  

Last edited by Mikey405; 24th May 2011 at 8:11 pm.
Old 24th May 2011, 8:15 pm   #89
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

That is looking nice!
Old 24th May 2011, 8:24 pm   #90
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Looks lovely .Im amazed at the cabinet condition too. Its a really amazing survival!
Old 25th May 2011, 12:20 am   #91
G8KBG Tony
Pentode

Wow Mike, that’s looking stunning, hats off to you for battling with the peculiarities of the circuit and the awkwardness of the chassis to work on.

It’s a credit to your skills.
Old 25th May 2011, 4:06 am   #92
GLENZ32
Hexode

Great effort on this one Mike, and I'm guessing this is a rare set too. I would love too see an old valve colour set in the flesh one day... Nice to see it being preserved. Cheers Glen
Old 25th May 2011, 7:54 am   #93
Mikey405
Octode

Thanks everyone. I'll just keep blundering on until it's working. Thanks Tone for your somewhat enthusiastic praise - Completely undeserved of course - it's only when other people prod me into doing anything and help me out with stuff that the thing gets fixed.
Old 25th May 2011, 8:04 am   #94
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Do you know anything of the history of the set? Presumably used for UK colour trials in the early to mid 1960s. But by whom?

Great results so far. I wonder if the heavy lifting department could get it to NVCF at AP in November.
Old 26th May 2011, 5:04 pm   #95
Tazman1966
Nonode

It's hardly blundering on Mike. You're going great guns mate. It's really starting to look very good.

PS: I see you managed to find your Sylvia Peters slide

Last edited by Tazman1966; 26th May 2011 at 5:05 pm. Reason: Added a PS
Old 26th May 2011, 7:32 pm   #96
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Looking really good nice one Mike.
Old 26th May 2011, 9:56 pm   #97
Steve_P
Dekatron

Nice set, not many about. Nice repair and that slide looks great.

Jeff - could the heavy lifting mob pass it to Bolton after 13th November...?

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 26th May 2011, 10:23 pm   #98
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Fantastic work Mike, that set really is a rare peach! Well done me old mate.

Cheers
Old 26th May 2011, 10:27 pm   #99
mark pirate
Dekatron

Great progress, well done that man
I am following this thread with great interest, can't wait for the end result!

Mark
Old 18th Jun 2011, 8:43 pm   #100
Mikey405
Octode

Hey everyone.

Well a bit more progress made in the I.F. (R.F.) department. My mate Tone came round today and after a lot of fruitless searching and head-scratching, we eventually discovered that the AGC line, once inside the VHF tuner, was not changing, even though there was a swing of about 60V outside the tuner. On opening the tuner up and replacing the usual Hunts capacitor and another 470K resistor, we discovered that a 3.3M resistor had changed in value to 15 Ohms. An almost unbelievable change in value, but attached are the photos to prove it!

Anyway, we now have a lot more output from the I.F. stages and even a reasonably clear (but very soft) picture through the aerial socket. It does look as though the I.F. may have perhaps been twiddled though because the fault we have now looks quite I.F.-ish and one or two of the coils look like they've been "got at" although nothing is actually broken. The video cuts off at about 3.5-4MHz and there is virtually no chroma getting to the decoder on an aerial signal. Perhaps somebody has tried to cure the V.H.F. tuner fault by twiddling the I.F. - but that's for another day - maybe even tomorrow.

So, can anyone beat the 3.3M down to 15Ohm resistor for a more wildly out of tolerance component?

Thanks all, and thank you all for your previous kind (but mostly undeserved) comments.

Kind regards.

From Mike.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	33M-15R.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	52647