UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Aug 2020, 5:34 pm   #81
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Which was the worst TV set / chassis you had to repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
The Sony was the 2090 / 2092 with the green spot you put on the back when you fitted the modified switch.
Spooky! There was another notorious 'green spot' modification involving a sticker 30 years earlier for the PYE V14. It was a line sync problem, that did not involve the fault possibly burning the house down. John.
Old 17th Aug 2020, 9:09 pm   #82
Joe_Lorenz
Hexode

Hello,

just another word to "ITT Schaub Lorenz". Yes, rather well known over here in Germany. But not for superior quality. Both makes "Schaub" and "Lorenz" were big names before WWII, "Schaub" made home radio receivers of rather solid quality and "Lorenz" was known for rather advanced high frequency commercial transmitters and receivers, later for state-of-the-art military stuff. Ok, after the war they regained some reputation for mid-class radios and nice valves, especially the portable "Touring" sets were quite popular. But the tv sets of the ITT era had a cheap appearance and did not live long, some folks called them "Schraub Lorenz!" which would mean "Screw Lorenz!". Not very nice.

Regards, Joe
Old 17th Aug 2020, 9:31 pm   #83
greg_simons
Octode

Quote:
The Sony was the 2090 / 2092 with the green spot you put on the back when you fitted the modified switch. Still got a small box of HMP solder which needed a Weller gun to melt and always looked dry. Good TVs otherwise.
I agree - never got an A823 to give a sparkling picture, especially the two-chip version, even with a new CRT. Apparently some beam limiter resistors could change value, but I didn't see any improvement.
The 9800 was clearly a 'what do we do with these panels while we wait for the TX9?' chassis.
Used to work with a guy who worked at an official sony repair facility, he told me one one of the tlo's walked in plonked a charred melted mess onto the bench with strict instructions no to breath a word about it outside of work, it was a 2090 series ctv, i have to say sony handled the situation very well, they got back almost all of the production run and modified them, any sets in for other faults were modified as required, the parts were supplied free and generous rates paid to fix them, sadly sony have fallen a long way since thse days.
Greg.
Old 17th Aug 2020, 9:41 pm   #84
Red to black
Nonode

Sony was also pretty bad in another way though, they went through a patch where they wouldn't supply us independents with the mod kits on these, considering the safety implications you would think they would, although we could eventually get them from SES a Sony (subsidiary I think) parts supplier for non-dealers up in Cumbernauld , later on the wholesalers CHS,WVE etc. also supplied them.
Old 18th Aug 2020, 7:43 pm   #85
its ur aerial
Hexode

I can sympathise with the Sharp CS postings, and the Amstrad double deck VCR, but what about and who remembers, the Derek Tyne TV`s sold by Tesco, around 1978/9 and I am not sure who else, they have to be the pits.
Ken, G6HZG VMARS
Old 18th Aug 2020, 8:12 pm   #86
MickMcmichael
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by its ur aerial View Post
I can sympathise with the Sharp CS postings, and the Amstrad double deck VCR, but what about and who remembers, the Derek Tyne TV`s sold by Tesco, around 1978/9 and I am not sure who else, they have to be the pits.
Ken, G6HZG VMARS
Crikey. Did Tesco sell TV's that far back?

I thought in those days they were just Mothers Pride and tinned pea merchants!
Old 18th Aug 2020, 8:32 pm   #87
its ur aerial
Hexode

All this comment about Sony switches, reminds me of a funny story.
A friend of mine worked for Servicescope, and they were given lots of Sony switch recalls to do, and would often call on the customer without warning.
So one day he called to a set owned by a Scientist who worked in a Animal testing Laboratory, his Wife let the Engineer in and he carried out the on off Switch mod.
That evening the Scientist comes home and he`s Wife informs him, that some one has called and fitted something in the Telly. (this was at a time when the Animal Liberation terrorists were active).
This caused considerable alarm to the Scientist, with thoughts of a possible bomb being planted inside the set, so he phones 999 and the Boys in Blue call out the Army Ordnance disposal to deal with it, apparently they just surrounded the TV set with sand bags and blew it up ! Causing considerable damage to the room.
Ken G6HZG.
Old 18th Aug 2020, 8:34 pm   #88
its ur aerial
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcmichael View Post
Quote:
Ken, G6HZG VMARS
Crikey. Did Tesco sell TV's that far back?

I thought in those days they were just Mothers Pride and tinned pea merchants!
Yes their really big stores did, I think they also had Home and Wear Stores as well.
Old 18th Aug 2020, 10:11 pm   #89
slidertogrid
Octode

Quote:
Ken, G6HZG VMARS
The Tyne sets I saw were earlier than that, they were fitted with delta gun tubes. They were made to help satisfy demand in the early 1970's when manufactures couldn't keep up with demand. ISTR the cabinets were a bit home made looking as I mentioned earlier but I don't think they were too badly made or unreliable, in fact I think the PCBs were fibreglass which was better that the usual panels. I only saw a few though and it was donkey's years ago.
I think I have an audio amp board for one in the shed I will have a look.

One thing I have always found odd is why Decca supplied the chassis from the 10 and 30 "Bradford" chassis to Keracolor when they could sell every set they made as a Decca...
My parents rented a Decca 30 for a year from Granada but had to wait a couple of weeks for a set to be available.

I have a Keracolour in my collection but back in the day I hated them, so difficult to work on and they seemed to go wrong more often than the average conventional Decca did. A local used car lot owner had one and it went wrong fairly often It was getting on in years towards the end and I suggested he bought a new set. His reply was that it had cost a Bl@@dy fortune "it cum from 'Arrods that did!"
The one that I have went off bang a while back and promptly went dead . I know it's probably only the mains filter cap but so far I haven't delved into it...

Rich
Old 19th Aug 2020, 10:26 pm   #90
Maarten
Dekatron

Keracolor might have bought complete sets or sets with cosmetic defects maybe?
Old 19th Aug 2020, 11:05 pm   #91
Richard_FM
Nonode

By comparison the the Aphelion sets mostly used the Telefunken 712 chassis, which seems to have been fairly reliable and easy to work on. The egg shaped case allowed for a lot of interior space for air to circulate & for engineers to get into the tight spaces.

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/1977-telefunken-palcolor/
Old 20th Aug 2020, 10:14 am   #92
Peter.N.
Dekatron

The pre war 15" Cossor, the presence of that huge long crt neck was terrifying when you were working on it.

Peter
Old 20th Aug 2020, 3:03 pm   #93
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Argghhh the 65K. I think this tube had a linen skirt cemented over the massive bulb supposedly to prevent flying glass when it went pop! John.
Old 20th Aug 2020, 6:18 pm   #94
hans
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_FM View Post
By comparison the the Aphelion sets mostly used the Telefunken 712 chassis, which seems to have been fairly reliable and easy to work on. The egg shaped case allowed for a lot of interior space for air to circulate & for engineers to get into the tight spaces.

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/1977-telefunken-palcolor/
This was the only good chassis they made, but the tubes were garbage after some use. The Telefunken A66 500X, as was in the set in the link, were never good after 8 years. I used to replace these tubes with Philips tubes from Philps and Grundig sets with case damage.

The earlier TFK sets, 711 and the hybrids were more or less unrepairable after 8+ years. The print got fragile due to heat. Accessability was bad. (High component density) And of course the tubes were bad.
Old 20th Aug 2020, 8:29 pm   #95
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Strangely, the Telefunken 711s we saw had heat damaged chassis but good tubes.
Only saw a couple of the hybrids, though I'm sure they did have poor tubes.
We saw a lot of the Grundig 5011 series with (I think) Philips tubes which were excellent. Always nice to fix a fault without worrying that the CRT will be poor after your work.
Back to the Keracolor. The one I've got (or what's left of it) used the Decca 100 chassis.
Old 20th Aug 2020, 8:59 pm   #96
Joe_Lorenz
Hexode

Hello,

when it comes to bad tubes I always remember Telefunken AW 53-80 and AW 59-90 with forever poooor emission - used throughout half of Germany's industry and later Sylvania A66-100X or maybe A67-120X in otherwise fine SABA chassis. I still have the Mueter BMR 3 and BMR 7 rejuvenator machines where I had to make adaptor sockets for some tubes.

Regards, Joe
Old 20th Aug 2020, 10:56 pm   #97
slidertogrid
Octode

Quote:
Strangely, the Telefunken 711s we saw had heat damaged chassis but good tubes.
Only saw a couple of the hybrids, though I'm sure they did have poor tubes.
Back to the Keracolor. The one I've got (or what's left of it) used the Decca 100 chassis.
The few 711 sets I saw didn't last long enough to wear out their tubes ! I wrote a couple off when they were about 5 years old because the line driver transformer had burnt up, damaged the panel and other components around it The panel was very crowded in that area like a Japanese transistor radio!
I think the transformers were not available a year or two later not to a small independent dealer anyway. Luckily I didn't see many.
I took a hybrid in part exchange (for not a lot luckily) it had a couple of intermittent faults, by the time I got it home it had developed a few more! I got it working long enough to get rid in a local house clearance auction. I took my cheque and ran!
I think the last Keracolor sets were fitted with the 100 chassis . I big round white ball telly must have started to look a bit yesterday's fashion by then...
I saw a recent programme about Cilla Black showing some of her private home movies. She had a Keracolor, she called it her "Dalek".
Old 21st Aug 2020, 6:32 am   #98
its ur aerial
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
Quote:
Ken, G6HZG VMARS
The Tyne sets I saw were earlier than that, they were fitted with delta gun tubes. They were made to help satisfy demand in the early 1970's when manufactures couldn't keep up with demand. ISTR the cabinets were a bit home made looking as I mentioned earlier but I don't think they were too badly made or unreliable, in fact I think the PCBs were fibreglass which was better that the usual panels. I only saw a few though and it was donkey's years ago.
I think I have an audio amp board for one in the shed I will have a look.

One thing I have always found odd is why Decca supplied the chassis from the 10 and 30 "Bradford" chassis to Keracolor when they could sell every set they made as a Decca...
My parents rented a Decca 30 for a year from Granada but had to wait a couple of weeks for a set to be available.

I have a Keracolour in my collection but back in the day I hated them, so difficult to work on and they seemed to go wrong more often than the average conventional Decca did. A local used car lot owner had one and it went wrong fairly often It was getting on in years towards the end and I suggested he bought a new set. His reply was that it had cost a Bl@@dy fortune "it cum from 'Arrods that did!"
The one that I have went off bang a while back and promptly went dead . I know it's probably only the mains filter cap but so far I haven't delved into it...

Rich
This must be the same Derek Tyne set I worked on, may be I got the dates wrong, the Cabinets literally looked like 4 bits of wood nailed together, and fibreglass PCB`s, but I forgot the Audio O/P was of good quality.
I have read a post on here, some years old that Roger Moore of all people was a investor in Derek Tyne TV production, that raises a few eyebrows...
Ken G6HZG
Old 21st Aug 2020, 10:41 am   #99
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

...or perhaps just one.
I know some people liked the 711 chassis, but it wasn't my favourite by any means. Besides the driver transformer (I'd forgotten about that) there was the crowded PSU with the odd round heatsink, the E/W circuits that put an ICC5 to shame, the frame stage that needed all the transistors replacing before it blew up again and the print that fell off. A small dealer sold a load of these in our area. My then girlfriend's father owned a white one and didn't like me at all, so I set out to impress him with my skills. I failed. He still reminded me of it me till he died thirty years later!
Old 21st Aug 2020, 11:25 am   #100
slidertogrid
Octode

A picture of the Tyne sets can be found here https://vintage-radio.com.au/default.asp?f=1&th=836

I didn't know they made a 26". The only ones I saw were 22". I can't say I recognise the set in the picture so there may have been more than one model? But it was a long time ago...
It also seems I got it wrong about the PCBs being fibreglass, I will have to see if I can find the one I have.

I would like to see some of the "Colour Boon" or "Goldrush" sets as they say in the thread. I remember most of the models and I do have a Decca 30 in my collection. The ones I would like to see again are the more obscure ones like the Finlux Peacock which I can remember was only available as a 26" and suffered lots of decoder problems. The Korting Transmare (Discount overseas?) and the Kuba.
These were being disposed of on sight in the late 1970's by most of the dealers around here. I bought a fair few Kortings and hybrid Sabas for next to nothing but I avoided the less common makes for fear of lack of spares. I think Pinnicle did supply valves for the Teleton sets but other parts could be hard to find unless you robbed another set.

One of the best sets of the era was the National Panasonic 85G. They knocked spots off everything else for picture quality and most ran until the tube wore out without a repair. In fact the 10mfd electrolytic which caused shading was the only common fault I can remember and that was when the sets were getting old.

They had "green line tuning" the switch was on the front and very easy to catch so I had a few calls for green picture in the middle of the screen! When you showed the customer the switch they usually blamed it on the Grandchildren. Eventually the receptionist got the message and asked if the set was a NAT-Pan and was then able to tell the customer how to "fix it " themselves.
Something that was repeated in the 1980s/90s with the Philips/Pye speaker switch. You would explain to the usually elderly customer where the switch was, they would toddle off to try it, you would then be deafened by the sound. eg: "THIS IS BBC1" They would then come back to the 'phone " yes it's OK now" and blame the grandchildren...

Rich
Closed Thread