UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jan 2017, 8:14 pm   #1
yampy187
Hexode

Default Sanyo Betacord VTC 9300 Strange fault?

Hello Everyone.

I have recently got my hands on a Sanyo VTC9300. In pretty good order and was pretty much working when i got it.

I treated it to a new belt kit and cleaned up the rubber idler tires so the machine is running mechanically sound and was playing fine. However a fault appears to have appeared. There is a hum bar rolling down the screen constantly and a buzz/hum on the sound regardless weather a tape is in playback or not. it shows up best on the machine's own test pattern.

I have had a look over the power supply and have changed a few crusty looking capacitors to no avail.

I have downloaded the service manual however i have never worked on a Beta machine before and have limited knowledge about them.

Would anyone happen to have a common fault guide of any description?

Regards,

Jan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170126_140020.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	136539  
Old 26th Jan 2017, 8:45 pm   #2
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Default Re: Sanyo Betacord VTC 9300 Strange fault?

I think the only person on here that has one of these is Fivos. if it's doing it whilst not playing a tape and on the test screen then I'd look at the video pcb. Did you move or disconnect anything on it while you were working on the machine? Could be a dry solder joint that's been disturbed while moving the machine about.

It's all vhs stuff that I'm used to, the oldest being the 3v23 jvc clone that I have. I have a vtc-5000 but haven't looked at it yet as I have no tapes.

Hope you get it sorted.

Steve
Old 26th Jan 2017, 9:31 pm   #3
Sanbeta
Hexode

Jan

The last and only time I ever saw that was on a Sanyo VTC 5000 that had obviously been plugged in most of it's life. It was the biggest capacitor in the PSU. Cannot remember the value at present.
Maybe the mains transformer is suffering?

......Kevin
Old 26th Jan 2017, 11:40 pm   #4
jayceebee
Heptode

I've never worked on one of these but I do recall stories about problems in the 12v supply, check the emitter volts of Q702 on the regulator board.
The hum appears to be at 100Hz so unlikely to be a bridge rectifier problem. Also, if the 12v at Q702 is high don't run the set for too long as it could lead to other damage.

John.

Last edited by jayceebee; 27th Jan 2017 at 12:00 am. Reason: more info
Old 27th Jan 2017, 3:08 pm   #5
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Easy fix. Turn off the Test Signal. Btw, I have two VTC 9350's, which is the Middle Eastern version of that.

Fivos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sanyo vtc-9300p totaal07.jpg
Views:	6597
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	136570  
Old 27th Jan 2017, 3:51 pm   #6
Mooly
Octode

The 12 volt (was it 12 ? its a long time ago...) supply was troublesome. Replacing the series pass device with either a TIP41 or TIP 42 (can't remember if the original was NPN or PNP now) was always a quick fix. Its on the big heatsink.
Old 27th Jan 2017, 8:05 pm   #7
yampy187
Hexode

Hi everyone!

Thanks for the suggestions. I shall have a look this evening and report back.

Kind regards.

Jan
Closed Thread