UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jan 2017, 11:16 am   #1
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Default Unusual Pye Lynx (Tele-Tutor)

It's actually branded as a Pye Tele-Tutor but it's obviously a Lynx of some sorts. It looks like it was used as some sort of studio camera instead of it's usual role as a CCTV camera. Does anybody know anything about it?

The model number is TVC/1 which I believe means it should have a modulator, however the RF socket is missing. What I'd like to know is whether it's just the socket missing or the modulator parts as well?

I've compared it's internals with a TVC/1A (the model without a modulator) and it does has a different Video Assy board, with code AG58314 stamped an it.

Thanks
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070135.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	136461   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070137.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	136462   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070142.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	136463   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070144.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	136464  
Old 25th Jan 2017, 6:36 pm   #2
Colourstar
Octode

Default Re: Unusual Pye Lynx (Tele-Tutor)

Hi David

It looks like the slot on the side of the case would take a numeral plate to indicate Camera '1' or '2' etc.

I can't help with your technical query but have vivid memories of these cameras as they were on the surplus market in the late 80s/early 90s. With the Pye set to 405 lines and pointed at a small monitor or portable tv set you had a reasonable optical standards converter. For us 405-line enthusiasts they were one of the few options we had for displaying pictures on our old sets, when teamed with a modulator converted from a Rediffusion 'telebox', as per Jeffrey Borin's design in Television mag. Happy days- or at least they would have been had the Pyes, which were long in the tooth even then, been more reliable. Often you'd have a great picture one evening, then the next time you switched on there would be nothing but a pulsing grey raster. We'd have killed for an Aurora back then!

Steve
Old 25th Jan 2017, 8:38 pm   #3
Freya
Octode

I found this on a previous post "Only the early models had the modulator: the later ones had an AGC system to set the target bias and hence sensitivity automatically; I presume they omitted the modulator because there wasn't room on the pcb for both."

It may explain the lack of modulator on yours.
Old 25th Jan 2017, 9:17 pm   #4
Radio_Dave
Nonode

But as far as I know this is the early version.

Regards
David
Old 26th Jan 2017, 7:59 pm   #5
wd40addict
Octode

This is the standard TVC/1 PCB. Note the 'OSC Trimmer' near the sensitivity control.

Pye weren't adverse to mods. Mine has factory fitted 405 timebase components, but the label still says '625'

I've not yet managed to make it run at 405 because the horizontal core is cracked ;-( However it does work at 625 (with the 405 components still fitted!).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PCB.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	136536  
Old 26th Jan 2017, 8:52 pm   #6
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Thanks for the picture. I guess it proves it's neither a real TVC/1 nor a TVC/1A then.

Regards
David
Old 29th Jan 2017, 10:38 am   #7
Barry Lloyd
Retired Dormant Member

The AG58314 video board is from the "FET Lynx", model TVC/1AF. This has an FET as the first video amplifier stage and happily does not use the infamous AF117 transistors. As far as I remember the ACC circuitry was the same as on the TVC/1A.
I have worked on several Lynx cameras and found lots of really interesting faults to trace!
Barry
Closed Thread