UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jan 2017, 6:26 pm   #1
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default White Ibbotson

A research on the web seems to suggest that White Ibbotson only ever made projection sets.

However, I have this memory (false or otherwise) of seeing a White Ibbotson set with a conventional direct view CRT. It was a large screen set (for the time) possibly 21" and it had at least one unusual feature (spot wobble possibly).

Is this my memory playing tricks or did White Ibbotson make any non-projection sets?
Old 24th Jan 2017, 6:48 pm   #2
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: White Ibbotson

Interesting one. I have never seen a White Ibbotson direct view receiver.
Ekco were the only company to exploit 'spot wobble' on some chassis from 1951-54. I think they gave up the idea as the general public simply could not see the advantage and the oscillator caused problems with patterning especially with Band 3 on the horizon.

I believe some projection receivers such as the 'NERA' did use spot wobble so it may have been a projection model.

I would be intrigued to know weather any other manufacturer used it with a conventional large CRT. Regards, John.
Old 25th Jan 2017, 10:57 am   #3
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Re: White Ibbotson

Thanks for the reply John.

On the balance of probabilities I suspect that my memory is in error and it was either a White Ibbotson projection set or a direct view CRT set of another make.

On the subject of spot wobble there is a US patent here.
Closed Thread