UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jan 2017, 5:12 pm   #1
yampy187
Hexode

Default Hitachi CEP-180R Information?

Hi all.

I have found one of the above sets in a ditch at the side of the road. In pretty good condition except for the volume knob missing. It uses an 18" delta gun tube and is working fairly well as hitachi sets tended too. Although, the focus is a little soft.

After having the back off and removing 6" of dust off the chassis. i cannot for the life of me find a focus control?? So my question is.. Do they have one?

Any help would be much appreciated

Jan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170124_160948.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	136418  
Old 24th Jan 2017, 6:20 pm   #2
steve1010uk
Pentode

Default Re: Hitachi CEP-180R Information?

Amazing what you find in ditches !
These used "low focus" tubes, they looked a bit soft from day one, the focus anode only works at something like 500 v, i think there is an adjustment but probably just a small preset or even a multi position flying link, follow the focus anode back from the tube and check any high value resistors on the way,

These were very reliable sets, if there is a 4.7 mfd (or thereabouts) cap on the convergence board it's worth checking if convergence is out.

Steve
Old 24th Jan 2017, 6:25 pm   #3
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Bet you switched that on from a distance with a long plank of wood while standing on a rubber mat? Lol. I'm assuming it was recently put there for you to take the chance on it. Given the cold snap of weather.

Decent looking set, hope you get it going and find a knob for it.
Old 24th Jan 2017, 6:58 pm   #4
yampy187
Hexode

Hello and thanks for the info.

I can't seem to find any pots or flying links anywhere near the focus lead. It's a bit of a rats nest inside.

The set was actually bone dry when I got it. I don't think it was there very long. Knowing the reputation hitachi sets have I just gave it full mains and it came up straight away.

Many thanks. Jan
Old 24th Jan 2017, 7:19 pm   #5
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

You found that in a ditch?!

I have a similar aged Hitachi which I've yet to find the focus control on!

Regards,
Lloyd.
Old 24th Jan 2017, 9:30 pm   #6
Electrical
Hexode

Hello Jan
I am not sure of the significance of the ‘R’ in the model number, but the service information for the CEP 180 is in the 1973-74 volume of Radio and Television Servicing, page 77. The focus for this type of tube is obtained from the 560 volt first anode supply via a potential divider formed by R809 (820k) and R810 (560k) and a spark gap giving a focus voltage to the second anode of 380 volts. Also this set has the tube heater powered via 6.3 volt winding on the mains transformer and the feed to the heater is via a 1.3R resistor even with the set switched off, a so called pre heat.
Please find attached a circuit diagram of the CEP180 in PDF form from R&TV servicing. I hope this is correct and the ‘R’ is for the remote version of the set.
Regards Stan.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hitachi CEP 160-180.pdf (263.3 KB, 140 views)