UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jan 2017, 1:30 am   #21
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips VR-6541

Top? Tip, you mean, maybe?

But Sharp certainly weren't tat merchants. I gave my last VCR to my parents, when I got my first DVD recorder. It was a Sharp, bought in the late 1990s in the expectation that DVD recorders would be Coming Soon but not sure how soon Soon would be; so selected primarily for MTBF, lest it pack up before DVD affordable recorders were ready, but not doing too badly on features either, with six heads, NICAM stereo hi-fi sound, on-screen menus, two SCART connectors and front camcorder sockets. It's still doing occasional good service, for playback only now though since of course it has only an analogue tuner, but they have an extensive library of programmes on VHS cassettes.

I certainly wouldn't knock Sharp-built kit. It can be a little quirky (but then again, so can Philips-built kit) but it was always solidly built and reliable.
Old 29th Jan 2017, 1:44 am   #22
Clydeuk
Hexode

In my opinion, of all the Philips machines I came across, these Sharp based ones were better than anything Philips could come up with. We rented one (think it was 6542 or something like that) and it was very reliable and a good performer. I've had various others (Charlie deck, Turbo deck) and as well as being problematic, the mechanisms were always noisy and full of plastic.
Old 29th Jan 2017, 2:10 am   #23
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Yeah I meant the tip. Ok il certainly give it a go. Thanks
Old 29th Jan 2017, 8:32 pm   #24
ben
Dekatron

I also say go for it. It's not as if there are that many around now, and though basic spec (2 head mono) as has been said, they're well made.
Old 30th Jan 2017, 5:58 pm   #25
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Had a fiddle with this today, the motors are all fine. But there's no power getting to them.

When connected to the mains the clock comes on the display. Press the power button and it takes a few seconds to come on (see pic) channels can be changed, clock can be set. The tape side of things is unresponsive still.

Unlike the Panasonic psu I can't find a wiring diagram for this, and there is no system to the layout of the psu. Resistors are grouped together and caps together etc.

As electronics isn't my thing I'm gonna give up on this one. Will offer it in the for sale section f.o.c plus post if anyone has any interest.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8262.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	136703  

Last edited by Vauxfan2k; 30th Jan 2017 at 6:06 pm.
Old 30th Jan 2017, 10:51 pm   #26
ben
Dekatron

put a cassette in the unit as you bridge that leaf switch on the cassette carriage, very common for contacts to oxidise.Should spring to life.
Old 31st Jan 2017, 12:34 am   #27
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Ben, the tape carriage was wound back manually to get the tape out that got stuck laced up. I tried putting a tape back in and winding it back down manually but still the same.

Thanks though
Old 31st Jan 2017, 4:09 pm   #28
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Silly question but is the cassette lamp OK?
Old 31st Jan 2017, 4:19 pm   #29
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

I'm not sure, it's the diode type and I only have a bulb type spare.

The wires are soldered to a board at the back of the mechanism so whatever type I use will need to be soldered onto the machines own wires for the diode.

Can I use the bulb type?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8274.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	136743  
Old 31st Jan 2017, 5:53 pm   #30
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Changed it for an identical one from a working machine and it's still the same. So had to put it back. The one from this machine crumbled when I pulled it out the holder so that's it missing the lamp now. It's about to become a rarer machine now as it's going in the bin.
Old 1st Feb 2017, 1:07 pm   #31
Maarten
Dekatron

Why would you, for what is probably a simple defect?

You could always offer it FOC or for a nominal fee in the for sale section of the forum.
Old 1st Feb 2017, 2:43 pm   #32
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

I have done already but as yet no interest. The problem I have is there is no one around her that's remotely interested in looking at the machine in the flesh, I have a multimeter which isn't really enough to diagnose the psu and it's 20 connectors. I can't find a wiring diagram anywhere for this machine and now the cassette lamp is needing replaced. I'm no further forward than when I got the machine in august.

It really needs someone who knows about power supplies , diodes and capacitors.
Closed Thread