UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th May 2016, 4:51 pm   #1
TheGMan
Retired Dormant Member

Default Sony SL-C7 Betamax VCR

Hi All,

A few years back I bought a job lot of about six old VCRS - three of which were Betamax. I was initially after a half decent Betamax and the lot contained 2 X SL-C7's. One's a C7 and the other is a C7UB.

The C7 worked (in a fashion - see below) The C7UB didn't but I figured I could use it as a donor machine as both machines look identical apart from one having UB on it!

Anyway, the C7 has been in the loft now for about 3 years and the C7UB in the shed (the rest I binned) and it would be nice to be able to restore the C7 to full working order.

I have a belt kit for it. The problem it had when I stuck it in the loft (besides having sluggish winding of the tape due to perished belts) was that the picture had a rolling noise bar on it that appeared every few seconds. As if the control track on the tape was damaged and the VCR can't read it and lock onto the control track. From what I remember, the tracking wheel does nothing.

The problem affects all tapes (even pre-recorded ones). I've read that these machines are prone to this fault due to dry caps on the servo board?

Has anybody restored one of these with similar symptoms and if so could you give me any pointers as to what you had to replace please?

TIA
Old 24th May 2016, 9:21 pm   #2
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Default Re: Sony SL-C7 Betamax VCR

Hi. The "UB" means it's a UK model. The other one could be a C7E, EC, EI etc. You can see the full model number in a sticker on the back of the VCR. First, check if the capstan motor speed is correct and steady. If not, you will hear wow and flutter in the audio and the tracking will be unstable. Repace the capstan belt (the flat one) then check the servo board for bad capacitors and clean all the heads, pinch roller, capstan shaft and the rest of the tape path. This model is very problematic and unreliable but it produces an excellent picture when it's working OK! Hope this helps you.

Fivos
Old 25th May 2016, 3:40 pm   #3
steptoesyard
No Longer a Member

+1 for the above post.

Just to help you a bit more, change the pale blue "Sanyo" electrolytic capacitors (typically small values such as 0.1uf, 0.47uf etc) in the two servo areas - these WILL be shot and will cause the problem you have. Change these before making any electrical adjustments, and you will find it will be pretty much spot on.

The sluggish rewind will be due to the idler being worn, roughing up and cleaning the rubber surface should make a big difference.

Keep us posted!
Old 25th May 2016, 8:00 pm   #4
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by steptoesyard View Post
in the two servo areas - these WILL be shot and will cause the problem you have. Change these before making any electrical adjustments, and you will find it will be pretty much spot on.
Where is the servo board on this model? It is at the bottom next to the video board?
Old 27th May 2016, 4:32 pm   #5
TheGMan
Retired Dormant Member

I believe (from what I've read) the servo section is labelled on the main board (should be a white line round it on the solder side and should say 'servo' inside) I know I had a Baird VHS VCR from the 80's which was the same (all bits were clearly sectioned off with white lines & labels)

Thanks guys, I'll try and have a look at it this weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to get it up and running properly. Would just be nice to be able to own a working Betamax I'll post my results here soon.
Old 29th May 2016, 9:48 am   #6
steptoesyard
No Longer a Member

Yes that`s it. It`s the drum and capstan servo sections you need to look for, they are clearly marked
Closed Thread