UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Feb 2016, 5:44 am   #1
suebutcher
Heptode

Default Southend: Anglia or London?

Between 1966 and 1969 my family lived in Rochford, three miles north of Southend-On-Sea. Would we have been watching ITV from London, or from Anglia? My guess is Anglia, but I'm not sure. Whatever the source, the ITV picture was often too snowy to watch.
Old 20th Feb 2016, 6:31 am   #2
marymillington
Diode

Default Re: Southend: Anglia or London?

Hiya, We lived in Southend in 1968 ish and although I was only 8 at the time I seem to remember seeing the Southern logo a lot. But that maybe just a memory of a particular programme.
Old 20th Feb 2016, 10:02 am   #3
vidjoman
Dekatron

The Southern logo would probably have been from Dover. The Anglia logo was a revolving Knight on a horse from what I remember.
Old 20th Feb 2016, 1:58 pm   #4

Quote:
The Anglia logo was a revolving Knight on a horse
Indeed it was, the original statue is about 18" tall (vague memory failure may apply), made of silver and was (I saw it in 1981) in the reception lobby of Anglia TV. More info here... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglia_knight

Old 20th Feb 2016, 4:06 pm   #5
Valvepower
Octode

Hello,

I lived in Rayleigh in the 1960’s, which like Rochford is only few miles from Southend and I remember ITV being London on Channel 13 ? But saying that, there were a few houses with two aerials - one for Anglia and the other for London.

Post 1969 with the introduction of BBC 1 & ITV on UHF and colour TV some parts of Rayleigh couldn’t get a good London signal so the aerial rigger went for the Anglia transmitter. I lived on the border of Rayleigh and Hockley and I remember a friend who lived a few doors down the road used to get Anglia because their London signal was fairly bad - this would have been in the late 1960's and throughout 1970's and 1980's.

Been thinking and from memory the ITV 405 signal was worse than the BBC 405 signal.

I now live in Southend just around the corner from the old Ekco factory!

Terry

Last edited by Valvepower; 20th Feb 2016 at 4:15 pm. Reason: Add text.
Old 20th Feb 2016, 4:37 pm   #6
ntscuser
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valvepower View Post
I lived in Rayleigh in the 1960’s, which like Rochford is only few miles from Southend and I remember ITV being London on Channel 13 ?
ITV Croydon was Channel 9 I believe?
Old 20th Feb 2016, 5:16 pm   #7
pichacker
Hexode

I live near Billericay and we could get good signals from

1=BBC
9=London (Thames Bridge Logo / LWT)
10=Southern (Sort of cross thingy)
11=Anglia (Posh Revolving Knight)

Our main stations were 1 & 9. Kind of ironic as Anglia used to carry the local news.
Old 20th Feb 2016, 5:40 pm   #8
vidjoman
Dekatron

I lived in Dartford and when I moved to the bottom of a hill it was easier to get Anglia from Sudbury and Southern from Dover than it was London from Crystal Palace even though C P was only about one third the distance.
Old 20th Feb 2016, 8:24 pm   #9
Valvepower
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntscuser View Post
ITV Croydon was Channel 9 I believe?
Ah, yes it was channel 9…
Oh well, it was a long time ago and the old grey cells have taken a battering in that time
Old 20th Feb 2016, 11:40 pm   #10
Gubbins
Retired Dormant Member

Hi.
Maybe some clever person moved the channel 9 'biscuits' to the channel 13 position, to save all that clicking about between channel 1 and channel 9
Old 21st Feb 2016, 1:17 am   #11
AC/HL
Dekatron

Some TVs had the channel pairs adjacent, ours had 2 and 10 next to each other for example, and all the others not fitted. No such tricks with the Fireball, though.
Old 21st Feb 2016, 11:14 am   #12
Focus Diode
Octode

Sounds like one of those overlap areas. In the mid '70s I remember a family in Harpenden viewing Anglia TV rather than the expected London ITV as an example.
Not uncommon to feature overlap news stories in such areas. HTV West and ATV's News programmes carried items from Swindon for example.
I seem to remember a couple of special 2 channel relays in the south of the YTV Belmont region opened to allow a choice of YTV and Anglia tv in those areas.
As we know Belmont was reallocated to YTV from Anglia in 1974.
Brian
Old 22nd Feb 2016, 2:27 am   #13
suebutcher
Heptode

Our aerial must have been aimed at London for ITV, if that was the problem signal. I've just remembered that the adverts used to have the big star flash between them. Would that be Rediffusion, or did the other ITV channels use it?
Old 22nd Feb 2016, 7:18 am   #14
Amraduk
Hexode

Yes, that would have been Rediffusion. As far as I know, it wasn't used by any other ITV companies.

Regards,

Dave.
Old 22nd Feb 2016, 10:27 am   #15
suebutcher
Heptode

That's it answered. We were on London, at least until Dad traded our Pye VT4 for an Alba, at which point there may have been aerial adjustments. We kids were always complaining that we couldn't see "Thunderbirds" properly, or at all on bad days!
Old 22nd Feb 2016, 10:55 am   #16
Nymrod121
Nonode

At our family home in central Essex (1966-70), we had the usual combined Band 1/3 aerial for Crystal Palace/Croydon.

The main family set was a Bush TV95 (perhaps TV97?) with push-button tuner. I got hold of a Ch 9 Band 3 six-element and adjusted element lengths/spacings so we could receive the Anglia service from Mendlesham on Ch 11.

I fitted a simple resistive star splitter in the downlead so my brothers and I could watch TV upstairs (I think it was an RGD table model 17" - can't recall the model number but I do remember fitting a re-gunned MW43-69 to it).

Obviously, the picture quality on both sets suffered due to splitter loss; I couldn't afford a masthead amplifier and at the time I didn't have the skills to build one. Even so, it was really nice to have the choice of watching more 'locally-flavoured' programmes.

Best wishes
Guy
Old 22nd Feb 2016, 8:04 pm   #17
AidanLunn
Heptode

In that area you could get:

On 405:
BBC1 from Crystal Palace (London & SE), Swingate (London & SE), Manningtree (East) and Tacolneston (East)
ITV from Croydon (London regions), Mendlesham (Anglia) and Dover (Southern/TVS).

On 625:
Crystal Palace (Thames/LWT/Carlton). Service date: November 1969
Bluebell Hill (Thames/LWT, then switched to TVS/Meridian in 1982). Service date: 1974
Dover (Southern/TVS/Meridian). Service date: December 1969
and Sudbury (Anglia). Service date: November 1970
Closed Thread