UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Feb 2016, 1:47 pm   #1
dragonser
Heptode

Default Thomson 408/TX91 portable question

Hi,
I've recently acquired a Thomson 408/TX91 10inch portable. It seems to work, but then sometimes cuts out...
But after finding there is an install menu it looks like it may be multistandard ? ( as in multistandard for the European channels).
Is this likely? The install menu seems to have options for English / German / French / French Swiss / Italian?
I need to get hold of a remote for it as well. Sorry if this is an obvious question!
regards Peter B
Old 11th Feb 2016, 3:38 pm   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Thomson 408/TX91 portable question

Impossible to say what standard it is from the model. In the tuning menu there may be a 'system' option, my late 90s-early noughties Sanyos have that but the TX91 is a fair bit older - circa 1991? The presence of multiple OSD languages is not in itself a sign of multistandard equipment!

If it is a European set, my guess is that, like contemporary offerings from Grundig and other Euro sets, it will handle Pal/Secam BG on VHF/UHF, plus hyperband/cable channels.

Take a look at the tuning menus and post back.
Remote likely this - rct3003 or similar, very common, but perhaps others can confirm.
Old 11th Feb 2016, 3:42 pm   #3
Red to black
Nonode

It might help if you can post the full model number and any suffix letters, on Thomson sets there is also sometimes a specific chassis variation, eg. TX91G or similar.

Better still, post a photo of the rating plate, as this will usually help greatly in identification.

There are pan European chassis in the Thomson stable, usually these have in the case of older sets two tuners VHF and UHF, and on more modern types like the TX91 etc. multi band types with extra pins for the selection, and also selectable sound carriers.

Nearly all of the later Thomson sets had multilingual menus, but this did not mean that they were necessarily pan Euro models.

I hope this helps.

Edit: beaten by ben
Old 11th Feb 2016, 4:36 pm   #4
dragonser
Heptode

HI,
I have posted some pictures, to help with id....
thanks for all the info.
regards Peter B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-02-06 15.32.57.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	119948   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-02-06 15.34.42.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	119949   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-02-06 15.40.40.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	119950  
Old 11th Feb 2016, 4:58 pm   #5
ben
Dekatron

Label says its TX91GB but the menu screenshot appears to indicate a choice of sound
When you get the remote you will be able to see what's on offer. I'd imagine it'll be 6.0Mhz or 5.5Mhz spacing for Pal I or B/G.
Old 11th Feb 2016, 6:26 pm   #6
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I remember we used to get these in with no sound - not the most difficult repair as can be guessed from photo 3!
I suspect these were popular with caravanners and truckers as they would work both in the UK and abroad.
Glyn
Old 12th Feb 2016, 4:34 am   #7
Maarten
Dekatron

The labeling is somewhat misleading; it presents the chassis as if it were the type. The full model number is 10MH73B, the B likely standing for the same as the GB in the chassis designation: Great Britain. However it is likely this is indeed a multi system set, with G/GB only indicating that it also sports system I.
Closed Thread