UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Feb 2016, 11:32 pm   #1
rbm1973
Pentode

Default ASA colour TV

Does anyone here know or heard of the ASA hybrid colour TV.
I only ever saw 2 of them, are there any more still around. If so I would love to find one.
I'm not sure of the model number, but as far as I know they were of French origin.
Old 2nd Feb 2016, 12:49 am   #2
michamoo
Hexode

Default Re: ASA colour tv ?

When I was new to the trade (1982) I remember getting called to an ASA hybrid set. I guess it must have been around 10 years old by that point. Remember being impressed with the attention given to sound quality with having more than one loudspeaker and of a decent size!
Old 2nd Feb 2016, 1:44 am   #3
Maarten
Dekatron

ASA became part of Finlux at some point in time. Your set may have been made by Finlux.
Old 2nd Feb 2016, 2:16 am   #4
rbm1973
Pentode

I would love to see another one or own one i have searched for images cant find any would love reminding of what they looked like inside and out
Old 2nd Feb 2016, 3:38 pm   #5
gec2110
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: ASA colour TV

There was an article on ASA hybrids in television magazine in the early 80s.
They were very well built the sound quality was very superior for a set with mono sound
Old 2nd Feb 2016, 7:53 pm   #6
hamid_1
Heptode

I only ever saw one ASA hybrid colour TV. That was in the early 1980s. It had been smashed and dumped in a field - I salvaged a few components from it. Construction was fairly typical of early colour TVs - several printed circuit boards with ceramic valve holders inside a wooden cabinet. I recall that it was made in Finland by ASA Radio OY .

A few years later I was talking to another TV engineer who happened to mention the ASA colour TV, adding that it was difficult to repair. I guess, being an uncommon model in the UK, few engineers had much experience or even service manuals for those sets. Perhaps the one I found was dumped after no-one wanted to repair it.

I believe ASA Radio OY later became part of Finlux, who are now owned by the Turkish TV manufacturer, Vestel.
Old 2nd Feb 2016, 11:48 pm   #7
Maarten
Dekatron

Finlux was owned last by the Norwegian company Otrum and then liquidated. Vestel only bought rights to the brand name.

In some European countries, the rights to the brand name remained with local importers after an earlier bankrupcy so in for example the Netherlands a random Finlux set bought between ~2000 and 2005 might have been a real one from parallell import or made by Profilo Telra on behalf of a former official importer. Not so good for their reputation!
Old 3rd Feb 2016, 3:29 am   #8
hans
Heptode

Finlux took control control over ASA in 1979. The only "real" ASA set I worked on must have been their last model. It was a good and well built set with IR-remote. The later ASA sets were Finlux sets. I think that there was no sale of ASA sets in Norway before the Finlux takeover. In the 80's ASA branded sets were fairly common, but in the 90's the brand was gone.
Old 5th Feb 2016, 1:53 pm   #9
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
The first post suggests the set was French - possibly you are getting the Scandinavian ASA confused with the French EMO / Eurovox which had the unusual EL/EY line output valves and a huge inflammable mains autotransformer in the bottom of the cabinet.
To add to the confusion there was an Autovox sold by Comet which was an Italian set.
There was a shortage of British TVs in the 'colour boom' of 1973-4 so that led to all sorts of (to us) unusual names appearing, such as Skantic, Luxor, Finlux, Seleco, Nordmende, Kuba as well as the continental Philips K70 and K80 and the more familiar Grundig and Telefunken. Embarrassingly, many of these were far superior in picture quality and reliability than our home-grown products.
Glyn
Old 5th Feb 2016, 8:03 pm   #10
German Dalek
Hexode

I have schematics of ASA sets, incl. colour sets.
I never saw in real a set you want, I have some 50s ASA
TVs, incl. a console in my collection.
I own them because I bought them in Finland.
However finding them was finding a needle in the haystack!
Sets under the name ASA where never sold in Germany,
under Finlux well and maybe under any re-seller names for warehouses.
But only colour TVs, full transistor, were sold.

Here is the ASA museum, a nice guy runs it:

http://www.asaradiomuseo.fi/
http://www.asaradiomuseo.fi/www_2012.htm

History of ASA
The company started in the early days, but was bombed like the hole
city by the russian attack at the beginning of WW-2.
https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asa_radio

As far as I know he owns only radios, no TVs!
Hope this helps a little bit.

German Dalek

MARC BOLAN, he was/is the real king of Pop Music!
Old 5th Feb 2016, 11:41 pm   #11
hans
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Hi
The first post suggests the set was French - possibly you are getting the Scandinavian ASA confused with the French EMO / Eurovox which had the unusual EL/EY line output valves and a huge inflammable mains autotransformer in the bottom of the cabinet.
To add to the confusion there was an Autovox sold by Comet which was an Italian set.
There was a shortage of British TVs in the 'colour boom' of 1973-4 so that led to all sorts of (to us) unusual names appearing, such as Skantic, Luxor, Finlux, Seleco, Nordmende, Kuba as well as the continental Philips K70 and K80 and the more familiar Grundig and Telefunken. Embarrassingly, many of these were far superior in picture quality and reliability than our home-grown products.
Glyn
Am I right if I remember a Normende set having EL 509 and EY 500 valves? I remember managing to rip of a top cap and couldn't get a replacement valve. I'm fairly sure that was a Normende.

(Philips K70 and K80 were from Sweden, K7 and K8 were continentals)

When it comes to ASA their CTV range was discontinued. Only from looking at the build quality/style it was clear that their sets were more expensive to build than the Finlux range. The whole bulid quality of the Finlux chassis was clearly cheaper. The cabinets too. But the Finlux sets (and ASA branded sets produced by Finlux) were not bad at all. The picture in most models were ok and reliability not bad. Easy to fix and a sellable design made them one of my favorite brand.
Old 6th Feb 2016, 12:52 am   #12
murphymad
Heptode

Many years ago, I had a customer with a large ASA colour TV of the hybrid type.
It was a very slim affair with a huge cover protruding from the back of the set over the neck of the CRT. It was also well build and heavy.
The interesting thing was it kept the heaters powered up all of the time (full mains switch on the back of the set) and so when you switched on at the front, it came on very quickly.
This was the only set I ever had in my workshop with this feature.
It gave a splendid picture for some years before the owner decided on a new set with remote control.

Mike...
Old 6th Feb 2016, 1:01 am   #13
German Dalek
Hexode

Exactly, Hans you are right!
Nordmende had that chassis using E-types valves/not Jaguars .
ECL 805 and the ones you`ve named.

German Dalek

MARC BOLAN, he was/is the real king of Pop Music!
Old 6th Feb 2016, 1:08 pm   #14
enquirium
Triode

Hi

I had the model after the Hybrid. Around 1975 or 1976. I think it was called CT6000A, 26" set fitted with a 110 degree Delta gun tube. Very Scandinavian in appearance. Excellent build quality but very complicated with both a Thyristor power supply and line output stage. No expense spared.

However they had a serious weakness in that they had provision to leave the CRT heaters on in standby. This together with the notoriously short life of the 110 degree Delta gun tubes fitted, ensured that they disappeared out of service very quickly. I only got a few years out of mine. A shame .

There was a servicing article on them in Television magazine in the late 70's. I may still have the servicing info somewhere, provided by the official UK importers which were in Bristol I believe.

Regards.

Closed Thread