UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jan 2016, 4:59 pm   #1
Rick62008
Retired Dormant Member

Default Again, CRT out of focus on the edges!

I'm sorry for this age old question, but my googling skills are failling me today and i would like to know the awnser for CRT out of focus on the edges.

What causes this? An aging CRT gun, or some other component like simply capacitors? Or even a unaligned deflection coil (abit too far of too close from the the CRT gun)?
Take note i'm not talking about convergence at all, it's really blurry as out of focus.

Messing around with the focus pot works for most part of the screen but the corners.

Thank you in advance.
Old 26th Jan 2016, 5:12 pm   #2
toshiba tony
Heptode

Default Re: Again, CRT out of focus on the edges!

This rings a bell with me, some of our tv's had dynamic focussing, one for the edges and corners and one for the centre, or is yours before this time of dual focussing?
Old 26th Jan 2016, 5:35 pm   #3
Rick62008
Retired Dormant Member

I forgot to mention this in my original post, but the device in question is not actually a tv, but rather an "old" CRT computer monitor from around January 2002, so most likely is after that.
I'm sorry if by it being a computer monitor makes it somewhat off topic but since it's still crt technology i believe the fix could be similar.
Old 26th Jan 2016, 5:53 pm   #4
Nuvistor
Dekatron

It could be CRT but try and get a circuit, monitors very often used dynamic focus and it may be faulty.

Monitors required much better display circuits and CRT's than TV's of that time, very wide band video stages perhaps 12Mhz and precise focus and good voltage stability.
Old 27th Jan 2016, 10:36 pm   #5
Lodgesound
Retired Dormant Member

Measure the EHT if you can - low EHT will cause this.

In the 20 inch Sony grade 1 monitors I own the EHT is 32 thousand volts and the focus across the whole CRT face completely uniform.
Old 28th Jan 2016, 2:51 pm   #6
Rick62008
Retired Dormant Member

I should definitely get a schematic to make things easier, but i guess low EHT voltage could be probably it, unfourtanely i have to way to measure it at the moment.

One thing i noticed, after 1 or 2 hours the crt corners get less and less blurry, never quite perfect but a lot better than before.
Old 28th Jan 2016, 8:37 pm   #7
Sideband
Dekatron

It's called astigmatism. You'll probably find you can focus the edges and leave the centre blurred or you focus the centre and leave the edges blurred. It could be the sign of a soft (gassy) CRT. Very often in the TV world, an ageing CRT could act like this. Some CRT's were like it from new and focus had to be set to a compromise.

Good quality monitors had, as mentioned a few posts back, two focus controls for 'general' focus and 'dynamic' focus. There was usually a set-up procedure using a test pattern so the focus could be adjusted accurately.

It could also be caused by low EHT.
Old 31st Jan 2016, 12:43 am   #8
Maarten
Dekatron

Dynamic focus circuits might use a high voltage coupling capacitor. If it goes open, it will give this symptom.
Old 2nd Feb 2016, 12:35 pm   #9
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

We found the worst offender for corner de focusing was the 1500 chassis fitted with the standard 24" mono tube, the effect was noticeable even with good tubes. The same 24" tube fitted in other mono sets such as the Decca 2401, 2420, ITT VC200, RBM A640 did not suffer this effect as much or if at all.
Closed Thread