UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jan 2016, 8:30 am   #1
toshiba tony
Heptode

Default 6336 Loewe VCR

I have read with great interest the post re: cheap heads, but which deck does my machine have?
It's not charly, it's an m wrap, and its not the cheap nasty one that takes the tape in when you press play, the idler doesn't just pull back, it rises as well.
It's not a G deck so what is it. I remember them well but the name escapes me. Sorry, it definitely is Philips!
But which one? Anyone got one who knows.
Thanks.
Tony Walker
Old 26th Jan 2016, 9:03 am   #2
toshiba tony
Heptode

Default Re: 6336 loewe vcr

Or alternatively a Philips similar 6 head machine, thanks.
Old 26th Jan 2016, 9:15 am   #3
Red to black
Nonode

I take it this is of fairly recent manufacture (2000-ish ) then ? virtue of it being six head.

Around this time Philips were using the Turbodeck or a version of a JVC mech, other than the cheap and nasty Funai mechanism.

These 3 decks were all M-Wrap.
Old 26th Jan 2016, 9:27 am   #4
vidjoman
Dekatron

A photo might help others identify.
Old 26th Jan 2016, 12:10 pm   #5
toshiba tony
Heptode

Default Re: 6336 Loewe VCR

Turbo, thanks , that's the one with the small cog on the end of the loading mech, thanks. Anyone know a philips set that uses it. 6 head, ta.
Old 26th Jan 2016, 12:53 pm   #6
Red to black
Nonode

The Turbodeck as far as I am aware used original Philips only heads, these were complete with the rotary transformer, pretty much as the previous "Echo" and "Charlie" mechs did with attendant shims etal, except you needed the proper extraction tool to undo three sided circlip affair as well.

Phillips always were a bit "odd ball" in the head department from the N1500/1700 then the V2000 series machines, to the "Echo" deck first VHS machines followed by the long running "Charlie" deck in it's various forms, with odd models using a Sharp mech and the Panasonic D and G mechanisms for some models in the interim, lastly using the Turbodeck and also briefly using JVC for some models before finally bowing out of making their own mechanisms and machines altogether and using OEM Funai machines for their very last VCRs.

I never saw any 6 headed "echo" deck machines, there were some "Charlie" machines with 6 heads as well as "G" deck and JVC, and of course the Turbodeck with such multi-headed upper drums.

The Turbodeck much like the Charlie series before it, there were such huge subtle differences and some not so minor differences between variations and evolutions/modifications throughout the production runs as well as even within the same nominal model number, the only way to get the correct parts was to find the actual part number of the original part and cross reference for the replacement you intended to fit to make sure it would actually fit or be compatible.
This is likely so much more difficult these days, it could be tricky even while the machines were still in production.

Good luck, is really all I can say.

Last edited by Red to black; 26th Jan 2016 at 1:01 pm. Reason: addition
Old 26th Jan 2016, 1:14 pm   #7
toshiba tony
Heptode

Thanks for the last long post on my Loewe, you have talked me out of it, its ok on SP and just about ok on LP. I'm an obstinate sod, took months to sort out my Sony sta7b, (which I eventually did) but the vcr isn't as compelling. But thanks.
Tony Walker
Old 26th Jan 2016, 1:22 pm   #8
Red to black
Nonode

I wasn't intending to put you off Tony

Just making you aware of Philips being.... well Philips
Old 26th Jan 2016, 1:31 pm   #9
toshiba tony
Heptode

No, thanks, you have done me a favour, I spend too much time on jobs that have no value. I'm the same at work, but the Sony, you should see it, that was worth every minute. The Loewe is\was flashy but redundant anyway. Thanks again.
PS. only stopped using it last year, still use crt at home and only got a pvr last year. Hate moving forward.
Closed Thread