UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jan 2016, 9:17 pm   #21
gogetter
Triode

Default Re: The Pye washing board VT4 TV receiver

I have tonight removed the underside cover from this receiver and can see no sign of any recent work carried out.

The components and other parts are very clean perhaps someone previously has Hoovered it. I was surprised that the 3 screws holding the bottom cover were not slot screws but old crosshead one's!.

I can see some of the capacitors that are talked about so often, especially that large smoothing electrolytic shown in the photograph that has a small amount of white deposit on a terminal.

Tom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pye components.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	119068   Click image for larger version

Name:	pye large electrolytic.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	119069   Click image for larger version

Name:	pye underside.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	119070   Click image for larger version

Name:	pye bottom.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	119071  
Old 27th Jan 2016, 9:24 pm   #22
mark pirate
Dekatron

It certainly looks original to me, the only obvious replacement is that big red cap.
I would say that the main smoothing can is shot, it will definitely have to be replaced along with all those wax caps.

Mark
Old 27th Jan 2016, 9:25 pm   #23
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.N. View Post
A lot of the sets I had worked on previously didn't have AGC of any sort, the contrast/gain control was actually a variable resistor in the cathode of one of the RF valves - oh how simple things were in those days.
With the arrival of multi-channel TV [OK, mere 2-channel BBC/ITV unless you were lucky enough to live in one of the overlap areas where you could get both Granada and ATV] and people changing channels several times during an evening's viewing a fixed contrast/gain setting just didn't cut it any more.

Sets without AGC would have been a hard-sell once ITV arrived on the scene.
Old 31st Jan 2016, 9:02 pm   #24
gogetter
Triode

Sadly I have decided against trying to restore this receiver. I have no experience of restoring a 405 line TV and fear I will eventually, due to other more pressing commitments, cause more problems than might already exist.

Besides removing the rear & base cover I have left it as it was... albeit early this morning I thought the 850mA fuse looked blackened. Rather than fetching my meter I decided to pull it out with my fingers, the result being an end cap came off the glass tube along with the now stretched wire still intact!.

My thoughts then were solder a 20mm fuse holder across the original and use an 800mA fuse. I imagine this event helped a little to add to my decision to give up this impulse buy.

I would like to thank the people who kindly responded to me on this thread. What is certain! I know a lot more with respect to this PYE VT4 but not nearly enough!

Regards
Tom.

Last edited by gogetter; 31st Jan 2016 at 9:08 pm.
Old 1st Feb 2016, 2:35 am   #25
AC/HL
Dekatron

If you do decide to have a go, this thread can be reopened. PM one of the Moderators.
Closed Thread