UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Dec 2015, 1:04 pm   #1
line sync
Heptode

Default Problem with Thorn 1500 chassis

Does anyone know how to cure caption buzz on the thorn 1500 mono chassis ?

Robin
Old 31st Dec 2015, 1:35 pm   #2
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: Problem with thorn 1500 chassis

Hmm...they don't do that!
Now if you'd said the 1400 that would have made sense. I'd make absolutely sure you're not overloading the tuner first - check various sources. The printed coils on the 1500 were a big improvement but there's not much to twiddle, so I'd look at attenuating the signal and see how you go from there.
Glyn
Old 31st Dec 2015, 7:02 pm   #3
jayceebee
Heptode

Possible causes are the small value electrolytic in the ratio detector circuit or the small preset pot. Sorry no circuit diagram any longer but I'm sure someone will be along with the circuit references soon, 4uF rings a bell for the capacitor.

John.
Old 31st Dec 2015, 9:45 pm   #4
line sync
Heptode

Thanks Glyn and John for your help.
I`ll try an attenuator tomorrow and if that doesn`t work I`ll look for the electrolytic.
Old 1st Jan 2016, 1:45 pm   #5
line sync
Heptode

Default Re: Problem with Thorn 1500 chassis

Had a go at the 1500 this morning.
I tried a few attenuators and they did not really solve the problem.
I fitted a new 4.7uf cap C65 which made no difference and tried adjusting pot R84 which didn`t improve things much.
I also tried a new PCL82 but again the problem is still there.

Robin
Old 1st Jan 2016, 3:34 pm   #6
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Though not as bad as the 1400's the 1500's were a bit prone to caption buzz. I seem to remember we use to tweek the 6Mhz inter carrier sound coil. I'll dig the manual out later and get back to you.
Old 2nd Jan 2016, 4:19 pm   #7
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

If you have an earlier version of the 1500 check resistor R31 in the collector circuit of VT8 it was changed on later production sets from 1.5K to 2.7K to improve inter sound carrier performance. Apart from that check C65 which is 4uF electrolytic cap in the FM ratio detector. It might just be a careful tweak of the 6Mhz intercarrier coils L14/L15 or the ratio detector balance control R84 that is required.
Just a word of caution which applies to all 1500's. To reduce dissipation in the width control circuit R130 was changed from 330K to 680K and the width preset was changed from 1M to 2.2M. I think most of the 1500's have these values fitted just some of the earliar models slipped through. This of course was a big safety issue on the 1400 chassis.
Old 2nd Jan 2016, 5:20 pm   #8
Focus Diode
Octode

Sound advice from Simon and others.
Bear in mind the Freeview etc box could be set to a low volume and DVDs are often very quiet even if the player's volume is set to maximum.
With the latter some DVDs are so quiet even the modern flat screen LED set struggles to cope with an audible buzz in the background.
Cheers
Brian
Old 3rd Jan 2016, 11:32 am   #9
line sync
Heptode

Thanks for all the advice guys.
Simon I adjusted the coil L14/15 and this made a big difference , there is still a little buzzing every now and again but it is now acceptable.
I do like these 1500`s as they are so easy to work on and I bet the rental boys liked them too.

Robin
Old 4th Jan 2016, 1:33 pm   #10
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Thats great news.
They never gave the best of pictures, or sound, but they were good enough. And yes the rental companies loved them because they were the easiest set to work on with its swing out chassis and component marking on both sides of the board.
As well as being very popular with the big rental chains they were in abundance across the board with the smaller companies putting many thousands out on rental as well.
Closed Thread