UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Dec 2015, 9:27 pm   #1
TV_Madness
Pentode

Default A double whammy!

Hi all

As the post title suggests, this is a bit of a "two birds with one stone" type situation, where two sets have been given a new lease of life at once.

My Baird M702 has always had a dodgy old A63-200X which has been living on borrowed time now for a long while. Back in May of this year, Mikey405 was kind enough to give me an original Mullard A63-11X (Which I believe had come out of his Philips G6). Whilst we were rooting around in his loft, we came across a spare power supply panel for my old Decca Bradford (Model CS2213).

Things have been a bit on their head recently following a house move, however I managed to set about swapping the CRT in the Baird, although their is some work still to be done on geometry and convergence (I set it up in a bit of a rush so that I could see what the tube was like, rather than take my time with it). Really, as soon as I get my workshop back up and running again, I need to sit down and do a proper "Tas" job on this .

Whilst pondering over my next move with the G22K550, I set about swapping the power supply board in the Decca. Again, Mike swapped this set for my old Baird M718 (which now belongs to Tas) many, many moons ago. The PSU panel in the Decca has always had a great big crack across it where it has become brittle with the heat emitted from the Audio O/P valve. The replacement panel has the OP valve stood off from the board. Previously, I'd get loss of audio or HT where the tracks went open circuit as it warmed up. The set had been in continuous use in the living room of our old place for almost 4 years straight with very few issues, so it has done incredibly well. As soon as the old panel was removed, it just fell apart in my hand, so it really was hanging on!

I have set the board up as per the old one, however again, I will need to go over the setting up again I think to get spot-on results. Frame shift is a little bit off, so will look to do a nice job of getting this setup properly this coming weekend.

Huge thanks to Mike for his help here. Both of these sets are real crackers and are well on the way now. I just need to affect some sort of repair to the tube surround on the Baird (which had been broken thanks to the forcing of the A63-200X through the front of the set when this was installed). The old CRT now makes a lovely "safe", high vacuum door stop! ;-)

Pics of the Baird with its new CRT and the Decca attached.

Happy new year to you all.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Baird.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	117546   Click image for larger version

Name:	Decca PSU.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	117547   Click image for larger version

Name:	Decca.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	117548  
Old 29th Dec 2015, 10:12 pm   #2
TV_Madness
Pentode

Default Re: A double whammy!

Edit: My apologies. This isn't an M702 at all, it just has an M702 back cover!

It's actually an M701T. Not sure what happened here. I suspect that maybe the back had been replaced at some point in its life with that from a spare / scrap set. I doubt that the receiver would have left the factory with the wrong back on it. The 701T is also described as having silver trim and knobs, however mines has gold knobs for some reason. Odd.