UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Nov 2015, 1:31 pm   #1
Rossc1985
Retired Dormant Member

Default Sony Trinitron Wega problem

Hi all, the problem we are having with the Sony TV is you turn it on and sometimes you get sound and no picture. I have checked the scart leads. This is not all the time, and if you turn it off and leave it a while its then fine. We use old TVs as that's the way we roll. I've never had a new TV, this one came from freecycle about 3 weeks ago. The picture is fine. I haven't had this fault before any ideas please, thank you .
Old 18th Nov 2015, 1:52 pm   #2
MALC SCOTT
Octode

Default Re: Sony Trinitron Wega problem

Could be low emission crt. Adjust A1 volts when no pic is there, Malc.
Old 18th Nov 2015, 4:22 pm   #3
toshiba tony
Heptode

Some of these sets used auto grey scale correction and this could cause problems. As was mentioned in the post before mine though a tired thermionic device is favourite. Or to give it it's friendly name, the tube.
Old 18th Nov 2015, 4:28 pm   #4
Rossc1985
Retired Dormant Member

hi thanks for replys the picture is great when working is this a expensive item and easy to fit ?
Old 18th Nov 2015, 7:10 pm   #5
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi there.
First things first - is there anything on the screen when there's no picture such as a menu? If there is then there's a fault with the connections or early in the signal stages. If not then the above is likely. Unfortunately I suspect you may not have too much experience of TVs - no offence intended! It could just be the A1 voltage needs adjusting. You'll need to give us the model number of the TV and we can point you in the direction of the control you need to adjust.
Usual disclaimers - there are lots of volts in there so be careful!
Glyn
Old 19th Nov 2015, 2:58 am   #6
ben
Dekatron

Cracked solder joints are extremely common in Sony gear. But check the other things mentioned first.
Old 19th Nov 2015, 1:20 pm   #7
Rossc1985
Retired Dormant Member

Hi thanks for all your replys their is nothing on the screen a very tiny line across top of the screen the set says trinetron 100hz and wega.i no that tvs hold their charge so usely leave them turned off for 24hours correct I do no have a a great nolage of tvs just had lots of cheapies freebies over the years sort of get to no common faults and that noboby wanted to help repair them usely just used them till they totally died before sourceing another .the picture is great when it works also the power light goses red green red geen not all the time we haven't had set very long at all thank you all so much for your help with this and my video is a great site thanks Ross
Old 19th Nov 2015, 3:35 pm   #8
Clydeuk
Hexode

From your description of the problem I would say the tube seems most likely. I got out of TV repair around the time these made an appearance, but have encountered a few since.

The auto grey scale circuit I believe samples the 3 guns at switch on, which is what the thin line you see at the top of the screen is, it attempts to get the right balance and compensates for differing gun emission between the 3 guns. Until it achieves good balance the picture remains cut off, and if it fails within a time limit the front panel LED's will flash the fault code, I think the flashing LED's on the front are giving you the fault code for this failure mode.

Auto grey scale is very good at hiding failing emission in a CRT, but once it gets to a certain point (like yours) it can't achieve a satisfactory balance any more. The fact that you can get a good picture just means it's probably borderline and occasionally it is managing to get satisfactory balance.

I found on a few sets that if you touch the probe of a test meter on any of the CRT cathode connections the picture will appear.

The only place you are likely to get another CRT is from a scrapper, and chances are that will have the same problem, I believe it is very common on these sets.
Old 19th Nov 2015, 5:44 pm   #9
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
That's quite likely - though do check the transistors on the CRT base for dry-joints. I remember a dodge was to fit resistors to the collectors of the RGB transistors and return them to a common point to fool the auto greyscale.
Otherwise it's back to Freecycle!
Old 20th Nov 2015, 11:26 am   #10
Rossc1985
Retired Dormant Member

ok thank you all for all your help Ross
Old 22nd Nov 2015, 6:30 pm   #11
Maarten
Dekatron

Keep in mind that Sony used the Wega trademark on many different sets which may or may not exhibit different stock faults and symptoms. Please always give a full model number (KV-xxxx found on the back) for the best and most detailed advice.

Anyway, try adjusting the A1 (G2) tension up a little bit, if it is indeed an emission problem this might help. If there is no difference, look for dry joints especially on hte CRT board.
Closed Thread