UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Nov 2015, 12:37 pm   #1
steviewilson
Retired Dormant Member

Default Losing audio on a Sanyo 5150.

Hi folks. Got my Sanyo 5150 out the garage the other day, powered up last night, cleaned the heads BINGO I have a working machine. Played a few old tapes though and cradually the picture goes, and I have to clean the heads again. Fair enough, these tapes haven't seen a video head in over 25 years. But even though I can get the picture crystal clear I'm losing audio regularly. Cleaning the audio head brings it back but a few minutes later and it's gone again. Is this a sign of worn audio head or just dirty old tapes? As I say the picture is perfect on most of the tapes I'm loading.
Old 15th Nov 2015, 10:06 pm   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Losing audio on a Sanyo 5150.

Might be backtension or a tape guide problem - have you run it with the top off to see if there's any tape creep? Ideally you need a known good tape to try. Check also if the audio drops out only at the start or also towards the end of the tape.

There may also be dead capacitors in the audio stage, but I'd expect it to be mute if that were the case.

I have had a few Scotch Beta tapes shed oxide - never any trouble with Sony, TDK or Kodak ones though. What make are yours?
Closed Thread