UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Nov 2015, 12:35 pm   #1
PaulE27
Pentode

Default Sony KV-16WT1U - access to Service Menu?

I have this Sony 16" widescreen CRT set, connected to a Humax PVR via the aerial input.

A couple of weeks ago I switched it on and it made a horrible screeching noise. I switched it off and then on again and this time it was almost OK - but it was no longer tuned to the Humax and the picture was now tinted red and the height was insufficient.

I was able to retune it in the normal way, and it retains the tuning in memory, but I need to access the service menu so I can access the picture settings.

Could anyone advise me please how to access the service menu on this model please? Failing that, does anyone know what chassis it uses?

Many thanks

Paul
Old 4th Nov 2015, 9:35 pm   #2
John123
Heptode

Default Re: Sony KV-16WT1U - access to Service Menu?

Wonder if the tube flashed over corrupting some settings? Anyway, not sure if this is the BE-5 chassis, but try the following procedure: From StandBy, press the following sequence (on the remote):

OSD, 5, Vol+, TV

The TV will switch on with 'TT' displayed. Press the Menu button to get to the adjustments.
Old 4th Nov 2015, 11:12 pm   #3
1955APREN
Hexode

Hi Paul
I have just located this sony service inf hope it what you require .
My scanner is not working so I have taken photo with camera and uploaded to computer hope you can read it John 123 bet me to it while I was looking for inf
Regards Derrick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0583.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	115219  
Old 5th Nov 2015, 12:35 am   #4
John123
Heptode

That's the one, Derrick! Does that manual list the TT code for factory reset? That might solve the issue here.
Old 5th Nov 2015, 11:32 am   #5
PaulE27
Pentode

Thanks guys.

I have now located a complete service manual for the BE5 chassis on the web.

Would factory reset take it back to the state it was before it was corrupted (which is what I would like) or back to the state it was before any adjustments were made at the factory (which I would not want).

Paul
Old 5th Nov 2015, 12:05 pm   #6
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

You might get it back to original if it has not corrupted any eproms etc.
If you are able try checking the chassis for any dry joints using an head magnifier.
Old 5th Nov 2015, 9:11 pm   #7
John123
Heptode

I believe factory reset would take it back to 'shipping condition' ie. as it was when it left the factory.

Agree with going on a hunt for dry joints. Paying particular attention to the power and deflection stages (as well as the CRT neck board).
Old 5th Nov 2015, 11:35 pm   #8
1955APREN
Hexode

hi paul asnd john
sorry I do have more inf on this set the inf that i sent was taken from a booklet that was supplied to field eng's. If a reset to factory conditions is done this will take it back to the shipping conditions ie the set will require retuning but heigh,frame lin and width should be ok thats if the eproms have not been damaged . hope this might help
regards Derrick
Old 6th Nov 2015, 12:52 am   #9
MALC SCOTT
Octode

A factory reset returns the set to a "virgin mode" as it left the factory, Malc.
Old 6th Nov 2015, 12:56 pm   #10
PaulE27
Pentode

Thank you all for your help.

I have now managed to access the service menu (which tells me the set has a BE4A* chassis), and have adjusted the red gain and the height, and the picture is now much improved.

However, I am sure everything else has been "randomised", for example the first thing I noticed when I entered the service menu was that the receiver now defaulted to System B/G!

I would really like to do a factory reset, but my service manual tells me I need to enter Test Mode 2 by pressing the Test button twice. But there isn't a Test button, not on screen, not on the remote nor on the front of the set. I tried the Text button, but that had no effect.

However, in Test Mode 2 you enter numeric codes and I have found that you can also enter these codes when you first access the service menu. For example, 17 enables or disables the sharpness control as it is supposed to do. 08 is supposed to reset the set to the shipping condition, but when I tried it all it did was change the contrast and volume to some default settings - nothing else seemed to change, and I didn't even need to retune.

You guys seem to be very knowledgeable about these Sony sets, so I would be very grateful if you could give me any further insights.

Many thanks

Paul
Old 6th Nov 2015, 1:14 pm   #11
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE27 View Post
I would really like to do a factory reset, but my service manual tells me I need to enter Test Mode 2 by pressing the Test button twice. But there isn't a Test button, not on screen, not on the remote nor on the front of the set. I tried the Text button, but that had no effect.
I think you need a special remote.

PS I have a nice (and fairly compact) 24" Panasonic widescreen set going free if you can't fix your Panasonic, and are ever in the Oxford area.
Old 6th Nov 2015, 2:29 pm   #12
Maarten
Dekatron

I think this is what a factory reset is supposed to do. You need to do a full EEPROM initialisation to fix this, but I'm not sure what the proper Sony name for that is.
Closed Thread