UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Oct 2015, 1:22 pm   #1
snookey-dog
Retired Dormant Member

Default EKCO TMB-272 Mains lead help!

Hi,

I've just found a EKCO TMB-272 tv/vhf radio packed away in my garage. I remember the last time I switched it on (five years ago) it actually did come on and the radio worked fine. Problem is I've lost the mains lead. It looks like it's some sort of 18 pin adapter arrangement on the back...

I'd like to know what the lead would be called etc so I can source one somehow. I've put a link below to one sold on ebay recently that has a shot of the back of the tv/radio.

Picture of the back of the radio/tv attached.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ekco-radio.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	113721  
Old 2nd Oct 2015, 1:29 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: EKCO TMB-272 Mains lead help!

That's a McMurdo connector. 18 pin I think. You're unlikely to find a mains lead, but if you can locate a connector you could make one up.

Be aware that McMurdo connectors have different numbers of pins and pin orientations.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 4th Oct 2015, 8:02 pm   #3
Chrisw
Triode

Hi. I have made a drawing of the rear view of the connector I use on my TMB272 which I have attached if it's any help at all.
Pin 13 if I recall is for the Earth which I don't use on my receiver.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ekco TMB272 Data.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	113849  

Last edited by Chrisw; 4th Oct 2015 at 8:03 pm. Reason: added information
Old 5th Oct 2015, 3:19 pm   #4
Techman
Dekatron

These plugs are like gold dust and often sell for more than the complete set itself. You’re very unlikely to find one and even if you do it will be very expensive, so my best advice would be to have a good search round in your house/garage and see if you can locate the original, and when you’ve found it, make sure it stays connected to the set. There are a lot of these sets without connecting plug leads and a lot of people already on the lookout for them on line!

It goes without saying that even if the radio works, the set shouldn’t be left running for any length of time if it’s in un-restored/repaired condition, as there will be components that will be leaking electrically and will very quickly cause the burn out of parts that can’t be replaced, thus destroying the set.
Old 6th Oct 2015, 11:03 pm   #5
high_vacuum_house
Octode

I was lucky enough to get a TMB 272 quite some time ago which came with both the mains lead and its original (and heavy gauge) 12V battery lead. When I get some time I shall take some pictures of the plug so you can see what you are looking for.

The TMB272 power supply mains/battery circuitry is quite a complicated affair as battery mode couples all the valve heaters in series/parallel across the 12V supply and uses a vibrator for HT, whilst the mains option uses the mains transformer for HT which also supply the valve heaters. This is why it uses a peculiar multi pin plug.

It could be possible to remove the McMurdo plug from the chassis and hardwire it for mains use only and fit a blanking plate over the hole with a 3 pin Bulgin or IEC socket though at the expense of the originality of the set.

Christopher Capener
Old 14th Oct 2015, 4:18 pm   #6
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: EKCO TMB-272 Mains lead help!

After a busy few days I managed to find the TMB272 lead and upload some photos of it.
mine also had a small metal cable clamp fitted about 12" from the plug which must have screwed into the back panel somewhere to act as a strain relief and to stop the lead disappearing!!
The one pictured below is the mains lead. the battery lead plug is identical externally though the rear cover of the connector is silver in colour.
Please see the pictures below.
Christopher Capener
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0882.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	114281   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0884.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	114282   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0885.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	114283   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0886.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	114284  
Old 11th Feb 2016, 9:22 am   #7
mark pirate
Dekatron

I have a TMB 272 minus it's mains lead, can anyone confirm the connections in post #3 are correct?
Also has anyone got the connection info for 12v operation?

Mark
Old 11th Feb 2016, 10:16 am   #8
Freya
Octode

The previous info is correct, the info for the 12 volt is Negative on pins 14 & 15.
Positive on pins 1 & 2.
Mine is made up from 4 core cable 2 core per polarity like this one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	360_eac499bfe9a0d46921c0efda1c366ecc.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	119934  
Old 11th Feb 2016, 12:01 pm   #9
mark pirate
Dekatron

Thanks Stephen, I guess the strapping links need to be connected, as these were presumably in the original plug?

I need to come up with a safe connection solution when the set is restored, the chance of finding the original McMurdo plug is pretty slim

I would like to get it running on 12v as well as mains, I have some 2.5mm cable that should easily cope with the 10 amps the set requires.

Mark
Old 11th Feb 2016, 2:15 pm   #10
wd40addict
Octode

Note the strapping is completely different for 12v operation. But the connections are shown in all 3 circuit sources (Ekco, RTSV, ERT). When I did it I was so nervous I cross checked them all as the TV was working fine on mains and I didn't want to blow anything up!

Good luck!

Paul
Closed Thread