UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Apr 2015, 11:55 pm   #1
dragonser
Heptode

Default Hitachi CW230 NTSC Television

Hi,
while going through some items, I have realised that one of the televisions has both a vhf and uhf tuner ....
this puzzled me no end until
turns out it is an ntsc usa version.
now I'm certainly jumping the gun here, but if I wanted a signal to try it out with, I have dragonsat modulator that seems to be switchable to 4.5 mhz sound IF and vhf / uhf channels.
Sorry if this is an obvious question, but how would I get an ntsc signal ? to feed into the modulator ?
if i got a ntsc dvd would that give an ntsc output on a standard pal dvd ?
sorry if I'm missing anything I should know !
Of course the set is probably going to need a lot of work to get it going before I get to this point
regardsPeter B
Old 28th Apr 2015, 12:15 am   #2
emeritus
Dekatron

Default Re: Hitachi CW230 ntsc tv

The modulator output signal options of my Icecrypt T5000 digibox include NTSC, as well as UK PAL and European B/G PAL. The Icecrypt's multi-standard functionality is not mentioned in the instruction manual, but the standards options appear on the setup menu. While it searches Band III for digital signals as well as UHF, its modulator only outputs UHF. I have established that the European PAL option works using a multi-standard Schneider TV inherited from my late brother-in-law in France, but I do not have any NTSC equipment to try it with.
Old 28th Apr 2015, 7:48 am   #3
KeithsTV
Nonode

Default Re: Hitachi CW230 NTSC Television

Do you have a digital camera with a video output? These can be set to PAL or NTSC and could be used to feed the modulator to try out the TV.

Keith
Old 28th Apr 2015, 8:41 am   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I've noticed that the cheap Roku & NowTV boxes seem to output an NTSC signal via their CVBS phono socket, amazingly.
Old 28th Apr 2015, 9:47 am   #5
Nicklyons2
Octode

Some of the cheap DVD players will play out any disc, whatever region, in PAL or NTSC; just look in the setup menu. I've got one which does PAL SECAM NTSC and PAL 'N' and has CVBS and S outputs - it cost £50 and will play anything. Strange isn't it if I'd paid £250 I would have got a machine which would only output PAL and would only play region 2 discs - mind you it would have a prestigious name.

By the way there are one or two Freeview boxes which will output in SECAM and NTSC; I'm sorry I've forgotten which, but again it's in the setup menu.

Finally, don't forget the mains input - it's most likely 110/120 only
Old 28th Apr 2015, 11:47 am   #6
dragonser
Heptode

Hi,
thanks for all the good suggestions !
I will take some pictures of the set and post them. It may not be an unsual set in the USA, but I think it certainly is in Europe.
Yes the mains input is 120v ac ....
I can see I have got a lot to learn ! ( which is not necessarily a bad thing ).
regards Peter B
Old 18th May 2015, 10:49 pm   #7
dragonser
Heptode

Hi,
well I have been going through some old items and found that a supervision 2550 DVD player does have an option for NTSC output. After trying with a Philips Portable using the scart socket seems to play back OK. I didn't know that the Philips set, a 14PT2666/05 would work with NTSC. there is a selection in the menu for UK / East Europe / West Europe options.
thanks again for all the suggestions, regards Peter B
Old 19th May 2015, 11:24 am   #8
colourking
Pentode

Many cheap satellite (non-Freesat) boxes can be set to output NTSC. The older boxes I tried from the German discounters (Aldi , Lidl) could do so (I haven't tried the more recent ones)

On some boxes you change the HDMI output to 480i (or 60Hz 720 or 1080) will also change the SCART output to NTSC

I was going to ask out of curiosity if the TV could lock to a 625 line picture from a modulator (would be without colour of course) but re-reading the first post the TV is not currently working (hopefully not damaged in the past from someone trying it on our mains voltage!)

Discovered a picture of this model TV online, mechanical tuning
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1151_zps04a72228.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	108478   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1153_zps577c0afc.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	108479  

Last edited by colourking; 19th May 2015 at 11:41 am.
Old 19th May 2015, 10:30 pm   #9
ben
Dekatron

On this note, I have what may be an Argentinian or Mexican Toshiba set somewhere. Picked it up off the street ages ago, and only when I tried to use it did I notice the aerial socket was actually a threaded/screw on F connector!

In the menu I think it can use Pal N, Pal M or NTSC. Must dig it out again.

Onto the question here, I am sure I have a VHS deck (Hitachi) that is multi system and has a modulated NTSC output. Might be worth checking ebay for one, I know Samsung made an all -singing, all- dancing one.
Closed Thread