UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Aug 2014, 6:36 pm   #1
yesnaby
Octode

Default VCR audio output very low

Hello,

I have a Panasonic NV-HS930 S-VHS VCR which has a very low audio output (video is fine). It sounds OK if I wind up the volume on the TV though. Two other Panasonic VCRs I have give a normal audio output. Is this going to be easy to fix?

Michael
Old 8th Aug 2014, 6:54 pm   #2
Mooly
Octode

Default Re: VCR audio output very low

First thought. Is it using the hi-fi audio track (the FM depth modulated carrier) or just the standard linear audio track recorded on the tape edge. Easy way to check, just "buzz" the stationery audio head in playback with your finger. You should hear nothing. If you can then its not using the hi-fi track most probably because of head or lower drum issues (wear). That said the stationery head (if it is using that) should be of correct level. If its not then that is usually down to alignment or edge damage of the tape.

Easy repair... hmmm... well probably not a cost effective repair I would hazard a guess.
Old 8th Aug 2014, 6:58 pm   #3
paulsherwin

If the stationary head is being used, a good clean may help. They can get absolutely filthy after a while, and owners don't notice because they're amost always using the hifi sound.
Old 8th Aug 2014, 8:48 pm   #4
yesnaby
Octode

Hello,

Thank you.

I think this VCR uses hi-fi audio heads (though I haven't opened it up to check).

But I found that by connecting the TV to SCART 2 instead of SCART 1 (as recommended in the manual), the sound is then normal!

Michael
Old 20th Aug 2014, 9:29 pm   #5
yesnaby
Octode

Hello,

I think therefore that SCART 1 must be faulty, but since SCART 2 works OK it is probably not worth bothering to fix it (even if I knew how!).

Michael
Old 20th Aug 2014, 11:16 pm   #6
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Unusual fault. I have a couple of those exact machines and neither display that trait - it may be an internal service setting that was not set right in the factory. If you haven't already done so it's worth removing the auto head cleaning roller - they do more harm than good and heads are no longer available.
Closed Thread