UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Aug 2014, 6:40 pm   #21
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Unknown Pye TV.

PYE 19D radio,still wonder if the whole thing is original.The chain was certainly fitted much later.Certainly very rare if it is original.
Old 7th Aug 2014, 8:21 pm   #22
Cobaltblue

I still can't find all my PYE radiogram stuff but I did find these two:

Both look very similar and it looks as if the TV being added where the record changer was normally fitted is likely to be right but the question is by whom

Cheers

Mike T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PYERGs102_zps1380b251.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	95917   Click image for larger version

Name:	PYERGs103_zpsa81013ae.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	95918  

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 7th Aug 2014 at 8:43 pm. Reason: added Pics via URL
Old 7th Aug 2014, 8:53 pm   #23
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

The pictures by Mike are similar age .But it is not the same cabinet .
It would be good to have some clearer pictures of the rear of the TV section including inside. The back panel certainly fits width wise
Old 7th Aug 2014, 9:00 pm   #24
Freya
Octode

Its plain to see the TV back panel has just been fixed by running screws into the cabinet edge, the original ones that are larger are unused.
Old 7th Aug 2014, 9:43 pm   #25
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

This does not appear to be an original Pye model but everything is the correct date for the B18T. These odd receivers tended to survive due to the radio and record player sections working long after the television became obsolete.
My guess is that it was probably a custom built job back in 1949/50 for a customer that was willing to pay the price for something that nobody else owned! It has certainly ended up in a far away place in the World and how that tube neck has survived is but a miracle. Regards, John.
Old 7th Aug 2014, 10:24 pm   #26
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I agree with John .Its likely original but not a factory model but possibly an adaption for a customer with too much money ..How did it get to Spain ?
Old 8th Aug 2014, 7:54 am   #27
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Back in the 40's there were many companies and individuals that had the skills to hand craft a cabinet of any style to the customers requirements. Of course there are still today many who could do this [David Boynes for one] but nothing like the numbers back then. Carpentry was part of the senior school curriculum together with metal work in my secondary school days. [How useful that grounding proved to be in later life.]
It may have been removed abroad when a family were relocated after the war, maybe Foreign Office or large company and used as a radiogram until this too became obsolete.
We still had most of the Empire in the 40's/50's and had representatives in most parts of the World connected with trade etc.
A very interesting combination that has survived well over 60 years!
Regards, John.
Old 8th Aug 2014, 8:41 am   #28
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

It would be interesting to find out what model radiogram its based on , bearing in mind it has the similar speaker fret of the 12 inch combo tv gram .In the 12 incher the speaker fret is on both sides .On this one it is on the left only . Maybe it was removed from the right or is it another model ??Which is probable as the fretwork is the other way round.
Old 8th Aug 2014, 8:51 am   #29
mark pirate
Dekatron

The photos do help, I also noticed that the original TV back fixing points are not used. It does look like it has been custom made for a customer, rather than a factory built model.

I think this set has been like this from new, the TV is from the same year as the radio. I would guess that it was done in the UK, and was taken to Spain by it's original owner.
It certainly is a one off conversion, and should be an easy restoration project.

Quote:
how that tube neck has survived is but a miracle.
Both my LV20's came to me like this, it seems the bowler hat material just disintegrates with age, luckily both my sets have good undamaged tubes, I replaced one bowler hat and fitted a temporary cottage cheese container to the other

Mark
Closed Thread