UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jan 2017, 6:54 pm   #1
ben
Dekatron

Default Panasonic NV-F55 poor chroma

Yet another Panasonic video thread!

Just got this unit out with a view to putting it to use while my NV-HD680 is on the bench (that's another story). I had put a sticker on it some years ago, with 'chroma' and sure enough, when tested with a tape there was patterning/moirée on the picture. A cap change on the PSU cured that (4x680uF, 1x56uF, 1x47 uF, all leaking!).
However, when I hooked it all up I found weak, blotchy playback chroma (same on record) though the E-E pic was okay.

A quick look at the service manual suggests the area around IC302 on the chrom/luma pack seems to be the place to look. Any further tips? I'm assuming capacitors again.

Last edited by ben; 22nd Jan 2017 at 6:55 pm. Reason: link added
Old 22nd Jan 2017, 7:10 pm   #2
Red to black
Nonode

Default Re: Panasonic NV-F55 poor chroma

There are two different chroma boards fitted to the NV-F55 that use different chroma ICs that are not interchangeable.

Apart from the usual G-deck problems caps in the PSU and the usual mechanics the only Chroma type faults I have had on this machine was caused by incorrect setting of the NTSC4.43 switch (it should normally be set to off).

I will have a look through my service notes later on to see if I have wrote down anything of note though.
Old 22nd Jan 2017, 7:42 pm   #3
ben
Dekatron

Yes, this unit handles PAL plus both NTSC and MESECAM so I was careful to check those settings.

I've found what would appear to be IC 302. Mounted on the Y-C sub PCB on a little sub-PCB of its own, surrounded by SMD caps. And here I was, hoping for a quick fixer-upper !

Still, the E-E pic via the composite in and outs is perfect, so I am hoping this can be narrowed down quite a lot. The schematic is fairly intricate, I'm still trying to pinpoint components through which the signal passes in both playback and record.
Old 22nd Jan 2017, 8:41 pm   #4
Red to black
Nonode

One fault report does list IC 302 as giving no Chroma in play/record but that is about it, as noted there are two different incompatible ICs used on this and some other models, which version is fitted depends on which chroma board is fitted, I think I might still have the technical bulletin somewhere,
Old 22nd Jan 2017, 9:02 pm   #5
ben
Dekatron

I think, since I don't have a scope to hand, that this one will have to go back on the pile for now. Plus the fact that access to that Y-C PCB is poor, requiring desoldering of about 15 pins on the main PCB then another 30 or so on the secondary sub-PCB, to get to IC302 and the SMDs and small electrolytics! Thanks for the information all the same
Old 23rd Jan 2017, 1:33 pm   #6
Grubhead
Heptode

Thanks for the link to the service manual Ben.
I had one of these, it had the best tracking that I ever had, but I lost it to an F09 fault. I didn't have the full service manual. So it's been stored away.
I put a partial manual and the user manual on part of my blog.
technical-help-tips.
It is part of a guide dealing with Headphone issues, Windows Media player album art display issues and some service manuals for things I own.
Old 23rd Jan 2017, 3:18 pm   #7
ben
Dekatron

found the TV mag piece whcih confirms my suspicions and the two different boards - will scan in due course.
Old 24th Jan 2017, 10:17 am   #8
ben
Dekatron

Attached scans. I vaguely recall having another F55 stored somewhere with a mech fault, so I suppose there's a slight possibility the paneles maye be interchangeable. Will update as and when I dig it out and see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	servicing panasonic nv-f55 1.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	136395   Click image for larger version

Name:	servicing panasonic nv-f55 2.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	136396   Click image for larger version

Name:	servicing panasonic nv-f55 Y_C.jpg
Views:	125