UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th May 2016, 1:04 am   #1
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Question Panasonic NV-FS200 wow/flutter

Hi. I have this Panasonic S-VHS VCR and I have a little issue with it. It records and plays perfect. But, when I record a 1 KHz test tone with it, the mono sound is a bit fluttery. I can hear the effect of unstable pitch in the sound. Does this mean the tape path or the audio/control head is out of alignment? I adjusted the audio head azimuth for the maximum high frequency response using a good tape and I am not sure if this caused the wow/flutter problem with the monaural track playback. Thanks in advance.

Fivos
Old 26th May 2016, 10:19 am   #2
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Default Re: Panasonic NV-FS200 wow/flutter

VHS does seem susceptible to this, however I suggest looking that the following:

Capstan - if the friction pad underneath is sticky/shiny it will cause this - take off the under panel and replace the arm/pad if worn. It rubs on the flywheel all the time.
Pinch roller - worth replacing even if looks mint - they get hard over time
Lower drum worn. I am seeing this quite a bit - they get shiny and instead of the tape gliding over them, the tape drags across, like a finger over shiny metal. This makes flutter - look at the tension arm - if it is continually moving, that may be a sign of wear.
Clean the tape path as well.
Old 2nd Jun 2016, 2:16 pm   #3
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Thanks for the advice. The upper drum is a little worn due to the auto head cleaner wheel. I removed this once I got the unit two years ago. The audio/control head needs a slight adjustment because the bottom edge of the tape slighly touches the P4 guide and the tape becomes creased.

Fivos
Old 2nd Jun 2016, 2:47 pm   #4
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Tape pushing downwards is often a pinch roller issue. I am only now realizing how critical this is on Panasonic decks - even using a new one with the wrong profile (pattern part) is often not enough. The symptoms are the tape is in the right place for the first few seconds, then slides down and creases. It stays down, and can even cut a slot in the guide over time. Unless head height has been twiddled, the head should never need aligning - apart from azimuth perhaps.

Upper drum wear is not so critical for tape transport, but the lower drum is, and wear is not always detectable by eye - only the poor tape travel shows that there is a problem.
Closed Thread