UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th May 2016, 3:45 pm   #1
SteveCG
Nonode

Default 405 line era TV aerials - a trap for the unwary aerial spotter

Yesterday I was given a rather bent Band I, later style, Antiference 'H' aerial whose mounting pole chinmey lashings had finally succumbed to corrosion. I'd seen the aerial in situ sometime before and it was mounted horizontally. I'd also thought that it seemed to be the wrong size for the TV relay (Hereford, channel B2, horiz, opened in the mid 60s), rather it fitted the size expected for the only possible main transmitter (Sutton Coldfield, B4, vert, opened 1949) for that locality.

On getting the tape measure out my suspicions were proved true. However the top of the mounting pole had a little suprise. It was a special bracket to hold an aerial boom used by Telerection in their late 40s early 50s designs.

Curiously, although there were also UHF aerials on the same pole pointing to Ridge Hill, there was no sign of any Band III aerial, either for Ridge Hill (in its channel B6 relay days) or for the earlier main Lichfield B8 Tx.

A final thought - I wonder if the B4 'H' was what was in 'the back of the van' when somebody wanted to use the new Hereford relay's signals - instead of the correct B2 design?

So when we look at the 405 line aerial (now very sparse) skyline in some areas of the country, we need to be careful in interpreting what we see...
Old 27th May 2016, 11:07 am   #2
SteveCG
Nonode

Default Re: 405 line era TV aerials - a trap for the unwary aerial spotter

Further info:

The Antiference aerial was a Reflector - Plain Dipole design

Reflector: tip-to-tip, 8ft 6 in
Dipole: tip-to-tip, 7ft 10 in
Reflector-dipole separation: centre-to-centre, 2ft 1/4 in

Reflector & dipole element diameter 1/2 in
Boom diameter 1 in

Junction box: lozenge shaped black material with the junction box cover a push-on black polythene cap. The Junction box was attached with two U bolts.

All bolts 2 BA type
Closed Thread