UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Feb 2016, 10:20 pm   #1
rbm1973
Pentode

Default Philips VR2023

just bought a Philips Vr2023, bought as untested.
It arrived today and all top covers off damaged in transit

having never had any dealings with V2000 machines have come stuck
i only ever worked on N15/1700 Beta and Vhs machines

anyhow powered up removed broken cassette that was stuck in there and cleaned drum up as parts of tape stuck to it

so after cleaning up i powered up again but it just clicks 3 times or so the stop light comes on you can eject the cassette but no functions if you try anything including tuning tape transport or even resetting the tapa counter the machine freezes wont do anything unless you unplug it or leave it for 20 minutes or so and it goes back to standby then you can power on again and the cycle repeats

Any ideas folks ?

or does anyone have a service manual

thanks in advance Simon

BVWS MEMBER

Last edited by Brian R Pateman; 11th Feb 2016 at 10:32 pm. Reason: Forum rules Section C.
Old 11th Feb 2016, 10:56 pm   #2
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Default Re: Philips vr2023

Hello. Check for bad capacitors in the power supply. Here's the service manual:
http://freeservicemanuals.info/en/se...SETTERECORDER/

Fivos
Old 11th Feb 2016, 10:59 pm   #3
Sideband
Dekatron

Need more info...

Tape in... does it thread up? Does the head rotate?

If it's had a bang during transit, it could be anything. Suggest remove casing and examine all plug-in modules, plugs and sockets. The main 'motherboard' that everything plugs in to was prone to damage if the machine was dropped or damaged in transit. The power supply used to suffer from dry joints.
Old 11th Feb 2016, 11:36 pm   #4
julie_m
Dekatron

What Sideband said. Get a powerful magnifying glass and search for cracked solder joints and PCB traces. Start with connectors, relays, power resistors and big electrolytic capaciiors, then look at the smaller, lighhter compoments. Meter from pin to ostensibly-connected pin, if you have to. Vibration could have disturbed a marginal connection somewhere.
Old 12th Feb 2016, 5:18 am   #5
rbm1973
Pentode

Default Re: Philips VR2023

well got it running of sorts it had a crack in print on psu which took out the 12v protection thyristor 7004 TAG661-100X and blew the fuse 1006 4A i repaired the tracks 3 of them and seeing that the thyristor is used as a crowbar circuit across the supply to the 12v rail as i could find no other faults i replaced the fuse and powered up with thyristor 7004 out of circuit the machine only clicked once at switch on tried a tape but nothing so applied pressure to the daughter boards on power up and noticed the head drum spin but still no functions
so turned my attention to the underside and found in the corner 2 broken tracks due to small crack in pcb repaired these and finally it plays
but it looks like the heads may be defective just a picture full of snow as if one head tip is damaged or broken the picture comes and goes is always snowy but sometimes better than others but i am convinced that the heads are indeed faulty!

so where can i find another set of heads for it not sure if anyone has either a faulty scrap machine with good heads or a set of heads as i would like to restore this machine

right not the end of the story yet i have an rf modulator wg=hich is adjustable with video and scart in i connected this to the input of the vcr set it to ch51 and tuned to this channel it tuned and locked on but looks as though of tune and has no sound ??

also any attempt to record and the cassette just ejects no matter what position the record protect tab is in

any advice welcome

BVWS MEMBER
Old 12th Feb 2016, 11:08 am   #6
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Default Re: Philips VR2023

The following from memory so may not be accurate....?
but here are some titbits.

On top of the head drum are some spring electronic contacts which at this age may now be gunked up ?
I think these were to do with the piezo system which electrically flexed the heads to keep them tracked ?...hence the V2000 system could freeze frame or play tapes at any speed without noise bars.
The V2000 head drum is pretty easy to remove and underneath you will find the main contact disc for the heads' electrical connections this should obviously be cleaned now as well as it's companion mating surface on the drum.
When you have finished the head drum goes straight back on, no alignment worries as that was (as said before) all done electronically...but you have to be just that little bit careful with the contacts on top of the head and how they greet the stationary pick up post.

Well ...something like that anyway, a long time ago now. Even if it's not accurate hope it inspires something?
Closed Thread