UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Feb 2016, 6:47 pm   #1
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Decca 666.

My curiosity got the better of me and so I bought this near mint service manual of the Decca 666.
The TV circuit resembles the Decca DM35 with FM radio. The 666 has two PCL82 triode-pentode audio amplifiers for the reproduction of stereo records. On FM radio the intermediate frequency is the correct 10.7mc/s. The designer hasn't tried to get away with using the 38.15mc/s TV sound IF. So far, so good. However, what is not so good is the fact the set employs the usual live chassis technique which is not so nice for the record player. Hum problems as well as the safety aspect.
Much better if an isolation transformer had been added to the specification.

It's the sort of set if one came along would you consider it for your collection.?

I remember the 555 well, that one used the old horizontal TV chassis from the DM4C.
Was there ever a model 777?

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0666.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	119579  
Old 5th Feb 2016, 7:02 pm   #2
Restoration73
Nonode

Default Re: Decca 666.

The TV/FM DM45 is the TV chassis, I've got one here not yet restored, as I need to
make a back, and the tripod legs also missing. This TV has twin speakers, one each side.
It has a swing up chassis, a bit like the 17TG100U in that respect.
This type of combo set is often smaller than a standard radio gram.
The Pye one using the 11U also looks good.
Old 5th Feb 2016, 7:03 pm   #3
Jac
Heptode

There seems to have been a Decca 777 David:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371272313859

Jac
Old 5th Feb 2016, 7:11 pm   #4
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hello Jac,
It would appear the 777 was a radiogram only, possible the full designation was SRG777. The 666 must have been the last of the three digit designation TV-radiogram combis which started with the 333 in 1953. There might have been a 222, not sure about that one.

DFWB.
Old 5th Feb 2016, 9:47 pm   #5
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restoration73 View Post
The TV/FM DM45 is the TV chassis,
The Pye one using the 11U also looks good.
That's right, the DM35 is the TV only model. Curiously the DM45 servicing data appears in the 1959/60 R & T servicing book and the DM35 appears in the 1960/61 book. I'm sure both sets were introduced in 1959.

Earlier models: there was a 222, similar to the 333 except for some minor differences in the separate radio receiver. The TV chassis was made by Plessey.

The 444 TV/radiogram combi employed the first Decca made TV chassis as used in models DM1 and DM17. The radio receiver is similar to the RG100 radiogram chassis.

Not absolutely sure about the 555 but I believe this set used a TV/FM chassis similar to the DM4C. No separate radio chassis?

The model 11 combi: the Pye Trio?

DFWB.
Old 6th Feb 2016, 4:19 pm   #6
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

There certainly was a SRGTV777 TV/Radiogram David and I had one in my mum's house between 1967 and 1969. It was a very large bit of kit in a rosewood cabinet with three doors, two covering the 23" TV screen and the other the stereo radio record player.
Two completely independent units comprising the DR122 series dual standard chassis.The Stereo radiogram chassis was a transistor unit, the record changer a Garrard AT6 fitted with Decca DERAM cartridge. It rocked the house and the bass was incredible. With the coming of colour it was replaced with the Murphy CTV174D 22" receiver.
I must admit I thought most of the combinations were a bit of a let down especially radio wise but they appeared to sell in surprisingly large numbers. John.
Closed Thread