UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jan 2016, 12:08 pm   #1
Rossc1985
Retired Dormant Member

Default Ferguson 3V22 information

Hi. I have decided to have a go at getting the 3V22, which was my spares machine, working. It appears the rubber wheel on one of the spools is slipping, does any one know where I can get a kit of these. Also the piano buttons lock solid, you have to push down a catch at the end. I have a 3292 that will now be used for parts. I even took it to a repair place, who didn't fix it, or seem that bothered but never mind. Also how much the 3V22 was and when was it launched. Thanks, Ross.
Old 27th Jan 2016, 10:57 pm   #2
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Default Re: Ferguson 3V22 information

The 3V22 is the equivalent to the JVC HR-3320 from 1979-80. A quick google search tells me that it cost £600 when it was new.

Fivos
Old 28th Jan 2016, 1:14 pm   #3
Rossc1985
Retired Dormant Member

Hello thank you for your help Ross.
Old 28th Jan 2016, 2:15 pm   #4
Mikey405
Octode

Hi Ross.

I'm not sure about the jamming buttons but you can often get a new lease of life out of the rubber rollers and rubber tyres (which go very smooth) by giving the surfaces a good going over with cellulose thinners. As far as I can tell, this seems to strip off a very thin layer of rubber to reveal a layer of fresh rubber underneath. This can take 5 or 10 minutes of brisk rubbing but you'll feel when it is getting "stickier". Obviously you'll need to wash it off afterwards and try not to get any on the plastic. (You could also try turning the rubber tyres inside-out but I think this is considered a bit "bodgy" - although I've used this method a few times.)

This won't really work with the belts of course as they just stretch, but boiling these apparently can give them a bit of extra life, although I've tried this a few times and it's never worked for me. Perhaps I'm not boiling them for long enough.

As for a mechanical service "kit", I suppose it would be best just to keep an eye out on eBay as they do turn up from time to time. Most of the deck parts were the same between the 3V00, 3V16, 3V22 (Ferguson numbers) etc. although you may find the odd different part here or there.

Thanks Ross.

Kind regards.

From Mike.

PS. Try here for belts etc.
http://www.signalsuk.com/Shop/Belts/...-Belt-Kit.html

Last edited by Mikey405; 28th Jan 2016 at 2:21 pm.
Old 28th Jan 2016, 2:38 pm   #5
toshiba tony
Heptode

Come on, youre not all that squeaky clean, who confesses to turning idlers etc inside out, I do, but nobody knows me in person on here, but i never shorted a cassette lamp out, HONEST.
Sorry Mike, didn't full read your post.

Last edited by toshiba tony; 28th Jan 2016 at 2:45 pm.
Old 28th Jan 2016, 6:29 pm   #6
Rossc1985
Retired Dormant Member

Hi thank you I did try turning the rubber wheel round with no joy it was the rubber wheels I think need replaceing I bought a set of belts off signals recently for the 3292 that I couldn't fix or get fixed eather so have already fittrd belts to the 3v22 thanks Ross
Old 28th Jan 2016, 10:15 pm   #7
greg_simons
Octode

Default Re: Sony says goodbye to Betamax tapes.

Just as an aside, when vhs machines were well established and newer models like the ferguon 3v32 etc were coming out, the older mechanical 3v22 etc were getting a bit long in the tooth we found some customers woukd still spend good money ontheir repair and maintenance, it took me some time to figure out why, the answer as many of you know is that the video agc system in the older models would ignore the anti copy macrovision signals on commercial pre recorded tapes.
Old 29th Jan 2016, 7:54 pm   #8
Rossc1985
Retired Dormant Member

hi fixed the button prob just the rubber wheel problem now thank you.
Old 29th Jan 2016, 10:22 pm   #9
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Which rubber tire is worn? The rewind or the fast forward?
Old 29th Jan 2016, 10:24 pm   #10
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey405 View Post
Most of the deck parts were the same between the 3V00, 3V16, 3V22 (Ferguson numbers) etc. although you may find the odd different part here or there.

PS. Try here for belts etc.
http://www.signalsuk.com/Shop/Belts/...-Belt-Kit.html
The mechanisms of these early JVC machines vary from model to model. My 3V00 uses an extra idler underneath to drive the reels while the 3V16 uses a large square belt.

Fivos
Old 1st Feb 2016, 5:27 pm   #11
Rossc1985
Retired Dormant Member

Hello its the ff / play that seems to be affected I changed it for the 3292 and that tyre is worse have tried turning them round an inside out with no improvement at all ? thanks Ross
Old 1st Feb 2016, 6:24 pm   #12
Nicklyons2
Octode

Let me have a look I may still have a few bits. The very early machines (usually had 3 switches on RHS lower front) had a different idler system with 1 big belt; later ones used more 'relay pulleys' and smaller belts. You could convert 1 to another as, in my experience the decks were always stamped out for both. However yours will be the later relay pulley type - if I can recognise the bits in my tyres/iders/rubber bands box I'll let you know.
Old 1st Feb 2016, 8:57 pm   #13
Rossc1985
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you all for your help Ross
Closed Thread