UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jan 2016, 5:53 pm   #1
Fudgemudge
Retired Dormant Member

Default Thorn VCRs

This is my first post, and I have two obscure questions I hope someone can answer.

My Thorn VR204NVA VCR recently stopped working (it’s a problem with the power supply, but I have no hope of fixing it as I’m far from technically proficient). Anyway, I’ve seen a VR204NV for sale on eBay, and I was wondering if anyone knows the difference between the two models? They’re virtually identical aesthetically, although mine is grey and the eBay one is black.

I know the Thorn range was made by another manufacturer on their behalf: I think it may have been Ferguson, but I always remember that Sanyo VCRs looked exactly the same; I mention this as it may be a clue to an answer.

I’m keen to acquire the correct model as I recorded a number of tapes at half-speed using the Thorn, and I don’t know if another VCR will be able to play them. Perhaps someone could enlighten me on this point also then: was the half-speed system the same across all manufacturers, or were there variations?

Thanks very much
Richard
Old 2nd Jan 2016, 6:15 pm   #2
John123
Heptode

Default Re: Thorn VCRs

I believe the half-speed system you're referring to is 'LP' or 'Long Play'. Yes, most VCR's will feature a Long Play mode. It's just a few older (80s) machines that didn't have the feature, or it was an audio only mode.
Old 2nd Jan 2016, 6:34 pm   #3
mark pirate
Dekatron

Thorn VCR's were manufactured by JVC and usually badged Ferguson Videostar.
Your LP tapes should play on any VCR with LP capability, most of the more modern machines had this as standard.
Hope this helps.

Mark
Old 2nd Jan 2016, 6:38 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark pirate View Post
Thorn VCR's were manufactured by JVC and usually badged Ferguson Videostar.
Mark, I think this is a much later machine, possibly mid-90s vintage, and could have come from one of several, low- to mid-range, Far Eastern manufacturers.
Old 2nd Jan 2016, 7:45 pm   #5
ben
Dekatron

The one listed certainly looks like a Sanyo, the remote is the giveaway really. It looks like a VR766 rebadged. The photo shows long play on the flap, so should play LP tapes.

The problem is, LP tapes usually only replay well on the deck used to tape them, a alignment is critical at that slow speed. You may need to realign the tape path to get it playing clearly. The problem is compounded as this model has hi fi audio tracks which will cut in and out on misaligned decks. So just by getting the same model you won`t necessarily get a solution to your needs - its pot luck, you may be Ok ...or not!

Also, these machines are twenty odd years old now and the belt may need replacing, and/or mode switch may need cleaning - all the sanyos of this era I have seen in the last 5 or so years needed this doing (loop of tape on eject).
I`d look for a working vcr locally that has LP speed, ideally you could try your tapes before buying.

Info: early Thorn/ferguson vcrs were JVC, them Thomson (r2000, r3000 mechs usually) as of circa 1989, then after about 1994 later....various OEMs, including this Sanyo (yours dates from circa 1997).
Old 2nd Jan 2016, 7:47 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
I`d look for a working vcr locally that has LP speed, ideally you could try your tapes before buying.
Yes, there are always decent (Sony, Panasonic), mint-looking VCRs in the charity shops around here for £5-£10 or so.

Go for something that seems to have done very little service as minimal wear on the heads and tape path is essential for good results on LP.

N.
Old 2nd Jan 2016, 8:11 pm   #7
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
Many early Thorn VCr's were indeed Ferguson/JVC clones but in the late 80's there was a trend towards using other manufacturers "cloned' machines. Many were made by Sanyo and I think that even a couple of Amstrad models were thrown in to the mix.

The last three characters of the model number usually indicated what features the machine possessed - NV would indicate Nicam and Videoplus, I can't for the life of me recall what A would be for though. If the machine on eBay looks similar to yours and only has one extra character in the model number it will more than likely be very similar if not identical.

I have just had a look on eBay and the Thorn machine in the picture is certainly a Sanyo clone.

Regards

Andrew
Old 2nd Jan 2016, 8:21 pm   #8
1955APREN
Hexode

Hi Richard
Thorn and Ferguson are the same firm these vcr where made by a joint venture with ferguson and toshiba. Some mod's where made in Hong Kong and others in Singapore I think that the A version was made in Singapore, but I might be wrong about this. As regarding your fault this most likely capacitors in the primary side of the power supply. I do not circuit diagram , but if you would like to take on this repair, others on the forum should be able to give you reference No's.
Regards Derrick
Old 2nd Jan 2016, 10:50 pm   #9
FERNSEH
Dekatron

I have here the provisional service information for the Ferguson FV11R.
This machine must be one of the last VCRs manufactured by J2T, the joint company set up by JVC, Telefunken and Thorn.
The two sheet manual was issued by Thorn EMI Ferguson Limited.
The circuit diagram of the VCR part is pure JVC. The frequency synthesis tuner PCB assembly was made by Ferguson at the Newhaven works. Uses the familiar SC4 tuner. The PC1656 infra red receiver was also made by Ferguson.

If the service manual is of any use to a Forum member it's offered for free.

DFWB.
Old 3rd Jan 2016, 2:21 am   #10
Maarten
Dekatron

Some confusion might be caused by the word 'clone' in one of the posts above. Most of those are just ODM/OEM machines (rebadged or custom models made by another manufacturer), not real clones (where a design was sold to and produced in a secundary factory).
Old 3rd Jan 2016, 1:34 pm   #11
Fudgemudge
Retired Dormant Member

Well I clearly came to the right place. A huge thank you to all that responded.

The following facts may be little more than academic, but I've just looked at the rear of the VCR and it states that it was made in Germany. I also remember buying it during the early 1990s (say 1993 or 1994), after seeing it garner some excellent reviews.

I note Ben's view about the use of the original machine to get the best from the tapes recorded on it (this makes a great deal of sense), but repairing it myself is not an option as I can barely change a fuse in a plug. Consequently I think the best option will be to follow Nick's advice and buy a cheap machine and hope for the best.

Thank you once again
Richard
Closed Thread