UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Dec 2015, 8:38 pm   #1
avro
Heptode

Default UK B&W TV statistics

Not my type of collecting (although I am rather keen on B&W photography), but I came across this:

More than 9,000 UK households say they still watch black-and-white TV. I think that might be our Jeffrey cited in the article.

BVWS member
Old 29th Dec 2015, 8:46 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: UK B&W TV statistics

I suspect quite a few of those 9,000 are telling fibs.
Old 29th Dec 2015, 10:31 pm   #3
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Errm the highest number of (alleged) B&W viewers are in the Outer Hebrides. Why should we be surprised at that? It says it all really. Furthermore, the statement from the TV Licensing Authority is a logical fallacy in that it assumes that the number of B&W licenses equates to the number of B&W TV viewers.

That said, well done to Jeffrey Borinsky for his efforts in putting vintage TV restoration on the map.
Old 30th Dec 2015, 11:31 am   #4
pastyboy
Hexode

FYI another story bit more detailed relating to the South West
http://www.cornishguardian.co.uk/Bla...SJVF7Vv2Yil.01
Old 30th Dec 2015, 5:23 pm   #5
Junk Box Nick
Octode

I have heard of some public spirited people sans TV who buy a B&W licence as a contribution for the radio service they get. They invariably seem to be Radio 4 listeners.
Old 30th Dec 2015, 5:30 pm   #6
julie_m
Dekatron

If they were all that public-spirited, wouldn't they buy a full colour licence as an even bigger contribution just for the radio?
Old 30th Dec 2015, 6:41 pm   #7
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Total rubbish as there were no large screen 20/24" sets made after the early 70,s.If still working at 40 plus years old then they must be the best ever made!

Also you need of course a Freesat or Freeview box with RF output.

There claims to be 500 plus in Glasgow.
Old 30th Dec 2015, 7:16 pm   #8
Maclee62
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
there were no large screen 20/24" sets made after the early 70,s.
Not quite true.

I worked for an independent shop near Tunbridge Wells in the early 80s who, for a time, had a supply of NEW 24" Luxor B&W sets available. At first they were all brand new, then as supplies started to dry up they started being 'manufacturer refurbished', then the supply ceased altogether.

I think this all had something to do with Luxor relocating from its original UK base at Edenbridge to its later base in Slough.

While available though, they sold like hot cakes, much to everyone's surprise.
Old 30th Dec 2015, 9:11 pm   #9
line sync
Heptode

Thorn were also making the 1500 chassis with 20" & 24" crt`s in 1977.
Old 30th Dec 2015, 9:18 pm   #10
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Did not know about Luxor but the Thorns are getting on for 40 year old.Original crts I think not plus most engineers would not touch them (me excluded as I would).
Old 30th Dec 2015, 9:40 pm   #11
hamid_1
Heptode

The number of B&W TV licences comes up in the news every so often. Another article and interactive map here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...white-TVs.html

The article implies that some people are not telling the truth in order to avoid paying the full colour licence fee. While that may be the case, I'm sure there are some genuine black and white viewers too.

In fact I was a genuine B&W TV licence holder myself quite recently. in 2010 when there were around 25,000 B&W TV licences, I restored and used a 20 inch Pye monochrome set kindly donated to me by a fellow forum member. You can read the story here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=56349

That 20" set was made in 1984 (yes, they were still in production then, although they sold in small quantities and are now very rare.) It needed a replacement LOPT which was difficult to get. The part was eventually obtained from overseas after a 2-month wait. I appreciate most people wouldn't go to that much trouble to fix an old telly. But it served as my main TV for more than a year - and it still works.

I met another genuine black and white TV viewer. He had a 24" Pye TV of similar vintage (Philips E2 chassis made in 1981). He rarely watched TV and only used the set for a couple of hours a month. It had been working for about 30 years when he finally stopped using it due to the digital switchover, and in that time it had only been repaired once - a squirt of switch cleaner in the customer controls. So yes, it's possible that a few very old black and white televisions could still be working if they are not used much.

Of course, how many of those 9,000 viewers are genuine is open to question. But it's certainly possible that some of them are - I have proved it.
Old 31st Dec 2015, 2:35 am   #12
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
Total rubbish as there were no large screen 20/24" sets made after the early 70,s.If still working at 40 plus years old then they must be the best ever made!
Philips manufactured those in Portugal up to at least 1985 sporting the same L7 chassis as in hamid 1's set. Probably in Singapore and/or Taiwan as well. Also, up until the early 1990's several Eastern European manufacturers were still making them. Especially the East German ones were quite durable.
Old 31st Dec 2015, 1:45 pm   #13
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
Yes - I think Unitra were a make that appeared here in 20" and 24" guises. Although made around 1990 they owed more to late Seventies in design and appearance. The tubes had a very coarse phosphor and the picture was noticeably grainy.
Besides the Philips and Pyes mentioned above there was an Indesit solid state that sold fairly well.
However how many of these are working and require licences is anyone's guess.
There was a (fallacious) rumour about in the Eighties and Nineties that said that black and white pictures were better from cataract sufferers. For that reason I remember modifying a few colour sets to be mono only by shorting out the crystal. This was started I imagine by the more relaxing picture on a black and white CRT being better for eyes - a colour CRT would still be the same, colour or no colour.
Old 31st Dec 2015, 2:08 pm   #14

I guess a projection thingy would turn out black and white if the filter wheel was removed, then you could get a new BW telly (add a set top box) any size you like.

Old 31st Dec 2015, 5:26 pm   #15
vidjoman
Dekatron

I wonder how many B & W licence holders fall foul of this part of the regs -
"If you use TV equipment to record television programmes, you need a colour licence even if you only have a black and white television as TV equipment records TV in colour. A black and white licence is valid only if the digital box is not designed to record television programmes."

I expect many have digital boxes that can record even if they only have a B & W telly.
Old 1st Jan 2016, 1:17 am   #16
Paul_RK
Dekatron

That surprises me, as someone who may take out a monochrome licence at some stage if they're still around. Digital boxes capable of recording are something I've heard about, but never contemplated acquiring: do any even exist with the RF output that any standard black and white TV would require? (though of course a separate modulator might be employed).
Old 1st Jan 2016, 3:29 am   #17
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I suspect that non of this matters.They are unwilling to accept that some people might not have a Television at all and that's the regulatory default position ie you must be an evader!. If you've got some sort of license the fine detail will not matter [should they grasp it themselves].

As they don't really respond to the information they ask for, it keeps a system whereby the organisation spends a fortune pursuing a tiny amount of detractors in business! It should come out of general taxation-we pay anyway and it would remove the "why should I pay for something that I [think I] don't want to see argument at a stroke. Our National Broadcaster does not equate with Sky!

Personally I would find not having a TV at all a little strange but I don't consider it to be a crime. The subsequent level of harassment [well documented] probaly is though! Next it will be not joining Facebook or having a mobile phone.

I know it's New Year but no alcohol was abused in the creation of this post.

Dave W
Old 1st Jan 2016, 5:19 am   #18
AC/HL
Dekatron

Government policy is well outside the remit of this Forum, as is the morality of the General Public in evading it. We have quite a few members who openly subscribe to both the monochrome and the none at all television lifestyles, as is their prerogative. Whether either adds up to the numbers quoted in the article(s) is debatable.
Changes seem to be afoot, but as the saying goes, be careful what you wish for!
Closed Thread