UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Nov 2015, 6:10 pm   #21
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: How to attach legs to a plastic TV?

Angled screw fixing leg plates plus legs on Ebay right now....."screw in legs"

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321902799714

Lawrence.
Old 1st Nov 2015, 7:52 pm   #22
julie_m
Dekatron

Lengths of wooden broom handle could easily be given a taper using a pole lathe. Is there anybody local to you who is into woodturning?
Old 1st Nov 2015, 9:56 pm   #23

Having made a few snooker/pool cues in my time it is easier to taper a bit of wood using a plane along its length.

Old 2nd Nov 2015, 12:37 am   #24
ryanbrownin
Pentode

Thank you all for your responses.

I am going to go for the table top idea but change it slightly, because the feet on the bottom of the set stick out it will be difficult to make the table invisible. I will cut 2 wooden pieces about 3.5 inches wide and drill holes 2 holes in each so that the pieces can screw into the original 6mm holes under the set. I will then screw two brackets on both of the wooden pieces for the legs to screw into. Then I will attach the wooden pieces to the bottom of the set and screw in the legs.

I think this should work, what does everyone else think?
Old 2nd Nov 2015, 11:15 am   #25
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Sound good to to me. Painted same colour as base of set, wood if possible contoured similar to base.

John
Old 2nd Nov 2015, 1:42 pm   #26
peter_sol
Octode

Post No.8 is correct. The legs were called "Robin"
Old 2nd Nov 2015, 2:06 pm   #27
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Again going back some thirty years ago and the things we used to do then. Another approach to fitting stands to these plastic cabinet sets was on larger 24" models was to fit a colour TV style of stand.
The stands were the type with the familiar inverted T piece ends and the metal or wood crossbar.
The customers liked this because it gave the mono set the appearance of a colour TV.

DFWB.
Old 2nd Nov 2015, 7:47 pm   #28
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

These screw on legs were always a bit uncertain. Add dogs cats and children and the problem was amplified.
I had thoughts of drilling four holes in the top of the customers 'G' plan sideboard and bolting the TV to the top of it from beneath. Very sturdy and no fear of it toppling over.
The force that some customers applied to the push button tuners had to be seen to be believed.
Unfortunately my idea was not a popular one and the subject was soon changed when I suggested it.
Regards, John.
Old 2nd Nov 2015, 8:58 pm   #29
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

I'd suggest searching local charity shops, auctions, car boot sales etc. for furniture with suitable legs (there are a few items on eBay at the moment, so this stuff's around). Refinishing them in silver and fitting suitable threaded studs would be simple enough.
Old 2nd Nov 2015, 9:12 pm   #30
Karen O
Rest in Peace

I faced a similar issue some years ago. I used threaded rod down the middle of the wooden leg but didn't want to trust to glue, so I (well, HWMBO) drilled a radial hole big enough to get a nut in to thread onto the rod.
Closed Thread