UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Aug 2015, 11:35 pm   #1
Hampus
Pentode

Default Swedish Luxor

Somewhere in Sweden is passed this abandoned house while on a car journey. As I have a fascination for ruins I made a stop. The house was almost invisible because of the vegetation and has obviously been abandoned for years. The door was wide open and all windows smashed so I stepped in to take a look. Part of the roof had collapsed and let water in which had rotted the upper floor.

My intention was to "look but not disturbe" but when I saw this Luxor TV standing just a metre from the hole in the floor waiting to fall to it's demise I could not help myself. Strictly speaking this was theft but I prefer to see it as a rescue mission. So in the car it went.

Arriving home I wondered why on earth did I bring this home? Anyway I removed the back cover and it was very dusty inside but luckily it don't seem to have suffer moisture damage.

I gave it a good vaccuuming, replaced the mains smoothing cap and plugged it into the mains in series with a light bulb. Faint glowing was seen in the valves. Suddenly a loud snap and smoke! The infamous RIFA suppression capacitor had cracked and was snipped out of circuit.

Successively fitting higher wattage bulbs the sound came to life and soon a faint raster was visible. Applying full mains power gave a bright nice raster although not filling the whole screen.

Now it will get a set of new capacitors before I try it any more. I did not expect it to work at all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150818_150551773_HDR.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	111937   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01385.JPG
Views:	663
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	111938   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01389.JPG
Views:	411
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	111939  
Old 20th Aug 2015, 12:02 am   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Swedish Luxor

Back in the day, I'd have changed the PCL805, then gone for the cathode decoupler. That would have cured most of these symptoms. Now it could be almost any of the FTB components, but there aren't that many of them.
Old 20th Aug 2015, 12:26 am   #3
MALC SCOTT
Octode

A picture of the chassis would help. Rediffusion had Luxor hybrid ctv sets when i worked for them. They were very reliable and produced very good sound and pictures, Malc.
Old 21st Aug 2015, 9:13 am   #4
Hampus
Pentode

I have not done any fault-finding yet, I would like to start with replacing at least a few capacitors before running it anymore. It has quite a few of the plastic-encapsulated rifa caps, they are all more or less cracked and the electrolytics are probably not too reliable either.

Anyway, the model is "Luxor Revy" type 20200. Valves are:

PCL86
DY802
PY88
PL500
PCF802
PCL85
PCH200
A50-120W

Quote:
Back in the day, I'd have changed the PCL805
Thanks for the tip, PCL805 seems to be an improved and substitutable version of the PCL85 fitted here. I will try replacing PCL85 if the new caps don't help.

I do not have much experiences with TVs although I have managed to fix a few over the years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01391.JPG
Views:	344
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	112001   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01392.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	112002   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01395.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	112003  
Old 21st Aug 2015, 9:26 am   #5
raditechman
Heptode

A lucky find, for you and the set, as you have saved it from a fall.
The CRT looks to be OK.
I also remember the Rediffusion Luxor's, they gave good picture and sound.
Depending on the model I may still have a circuit, as Malc Scott says a chassis photo would be useful.
John
Old 21st Aug 2015, 9:34 am   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Well done for saving that. A rare survivor, surely. And it seems to be in immaculate condition, amazingly. It would be fascinating to know when it was last used.

N.
Old 21st Aug 2015, 8:22 pm   #7
German Dalek
Hexode

Hi,

Please let me know if you like to have a schematic.
I may have it, I am collecting vintage swedish TV sets, just
brought a Radiola console (70°) 2 weeks ago home and have a couple
of schematics.
Great story, these sets have the biggest value in the eyes of
the new owner.

Best regards,
German Dalek

MARC BOLAN, he was/is the real king of Pop Music!
Old 21st Aug 2015, 9:27 pm   #8
Maarten
Dekatron

The picture tube seems to be from 1968 and made by Philips.
Old 21st Aug 2015, 10:33 pm   #9
hans
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampus View Post
It has quite a few of the plastic-encapsulated rifa caps, they are all more or less cracked ...
Since you took the set from a house with a leaking roof I would change the Rifas ASAP. They can't cope with moisture. I have an old Tandberg that has been in a damp garage for a couple of years. All the Rifas are bad.
Old 22nd Aug 2015, 2:00 pm   #10
raditechman
Heptode

Totally different to the Redifussion Luxor sets I worked on.
Although the front of the set looks similar.
John
Old 30th Oct 2015, 12:27 am   #11
Hampus
Pentode

Now two months later I felt for doing some work on this set. I removed all the innards from the cabinet to be able to inspect and clean it properly. It contained quite a lot of sawdust that used to be the house roof insulation and also some leaves and tree needles! Amazingly it is otherwise in good condition and shows no signs of moisture damage despite being in a abandoned leaky house A vaccuum cleaner in the same room was quite rusty but not this item. Anyway this of course pleases me.

All parts are connected with plugs so no soldering was needed to take it apart. The circuit boards was vaccuumed. The CRT got a shower in the bathtub and will soon be remounted. I will have to order some capacitors next week, hopefully there is no major problem with the set

German Dalek;

Thank you for asking, I don't know if I will need a schematic but if it's not too much problem I would appreciate a copy.
Closed Thread