UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th May 2007, 9:02 am   #41
Aub
Nonode

Default Re: Pye CT205 - a partial success story!

Taz,
I don't know anything about restoring TV's. I'm extremley impresssed by the amount of work you have put in to get the best results possible, and also by the collective knowledge of other forum members being used to help you along the way.

Well done to you and all the guys who helped you.

Best regards

Aub
Old 24th May 2007, 11:49 am   #42
Focus Diode
Octode

Superb results indeed! Well done! Don't forget to check the mains filter capacitor at the on-off switch. This is usually rated at 600V and should be replaced by a 1000V rated one to prevent future failiure which can damage the LTB/PSU panel. Applicable in all sets of course. The set's mains fuse must not exceed 2.5A (Anti Surge). I've occasionally seen 3.15A ones in this posistion which is a definite no no!

Unfortunately it's common to find one or two of the push buttons broken. Thankfully this doesn't affect the remaining working ones unlike some set I could mention. If used via a Freeview box and modulator it will only be neccesarry to use one anyway of course.

It's great to see another of these sets working so well! Anymore anyone?!

Cheers,
Brian
Old 24th May 2007, 1:48 pm   #43
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
Just adding my congratulations...
There's something about the colour on a 205 that's subtly different...perhaps the greens? Like the G6 - the reds on that seemed one of a kind - both sets give very distinctive (and very different!) pictures. Not wrong, by any means - just distinctive.
Now just pop the set into your local superstore and get them to show you an LCD that gives as good a picture...you'll be waiting a long time!

Of course it's all down to the superb tripler.....

Glyn
Old 24th May 2007, 3:17 pm   #44
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Excellent results, Tas!
I'd be wary of moving the preset on the FTB too far to extremes with it running. The output stage is not quite what it may seem to be - the "lower" transistor is a Class-A amplifier and the "upper" one is its collector load - a bit like a current source.

I will be archiving this thread sometime soon, so I will change its title then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak
Of course it's all down to the superb tripler.....
You cannot beat a living and breathing raster, Glyn. PD500 gang, B&O and BRC2000, eat your hearts out!
Old 24th May 2007, 4:20 pm   #45
Mikey405
Octode

Hi Taz.

Wow. What a difference to when you collected it. It's like a completely different set altogether. Can I have it back now please? (Joke.) That's a top job. I'm itching to get my other '205 going now. It'd better be as good as yours or there'll be big trouble.

I'm not sure if I have a push button unit, but I am down in Devon at the moment and I've grabbed the remote control for your Dynatron.

Bye Taz.

From Mike.
Old 24th May 2007, 7:52 pm   #46
Tazman1966
Nonode

Once again thanks for all your kind words of encouragement.

Aub: In the fairly short while that I've been a member of this forum I've found everyone to be a friendly helpful bunch.

Brian: Good advice about the mains filter cap. I looked at it and it did look original. Best change it eh? I did change the pesky "Callins" electrolytics on the CDA panel and on the Frame panel too.

Glyn: You're absolutely right about the colour on these. It has a character all of its own and I really like it. The only other sets that had colour of exactly the same character were the Rediffusion/Luxor hybrid sets from the early 70s. By the way the tripler is great - EHT still breathes though!!!! (I know it's supposed to

Mike P: Thanks for the tip about the fragile frame output. It's not as if BD124's are easy to get now.

Mikey B: As per the PM thanks very much for the challenge and the gauntlet's down now for you to get yours done too.

All the best and I'm off to the pub now
Old 21st Oct 2015, 3:13 pm   #47
Tazman1966
Nonode

Default Re: Pye CT205 various faults - a success story!

One of the things that keeps this hobby interesting especially as we use my vintage colour sets on a regular basis are the ongoing repairs that are required from time to time.

It was this Pye's turn to be used for a few weeks in the dining room but one day into its position on the sideboard I got a call from my wife exclaiming that the picture had gone all dark. Sure enough, she was right and the width was in and a nasty hum bar was present. This was just before dinner was to be dished up so I hastily dug out an easy to get to (and lift!) replacement set so that Sara wouldn't miss her Emmerdale!

Fast forward a few days and the Pye was lumbered onto the workbench and the symptoms looked at again. There certainly was hum on the HT line and I suspected the min HT smoothing block (C306/C315). This was the case proven by my clipping a 175uF replacment across the offending section.

Here are a couple of pics of the lash up.

Now here's the rub! Has anyone got the correct replacement can? It's 400uF + 400uF at 350V? All costs covered of course.

Kind regards,

Tas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA212749.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	114548   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA212750.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	114549   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA212751.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	114550  
Old 21st Oct 2015, 4:40 pm   #48
MALC SCOTT
Octode

Hi Tas, i have nos 400mfd/400mfd/100mfd (Rediffusion Mk1). Will need re-forming, Malc.
Old 25th Oct 2015, 6:46 pm   #49
Tazman1966
Nonode

Hi Malc.

Thanks for the kind offer but before I took you up on it I had another really good look in my stores too and found a used but good "Lorin" branded one.

I duly fitted the replacement noting that the unbranded blue coloured one I removed was not original and of the incorrect values being 200uF + 300uF.

With a tickle to the grey scale and some squirty(!) on the scratchy volume control, we were now in business again so it'll be back in the dining room tonight as the buzzing mains choke on the otherwise mint G11 that quickly replaced it the other day is driving my missus up the wall!!! Another job to attend to

In the meanwhile, here are some photos I just took of the set in the workshop. Interestingly, whenever I take pics of this set, there always seems to be sport on - this time the Rugby World cup!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA252768.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	114713   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA252770.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	114714   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA252773.jpg
Views:	130