UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Aug 2014, 12:16 am   #1
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Default Panasonic K deck VCR makes tape loops

I have been resuscitating a nice Panasonic VCR - an NV-HD660. It was ready to be junked but was almost unused (what a waste).

I have been over it and done:

New drive motor collar (the original fault)
Stripped and lubricated capstan motor (precaution)
Lubed pinch roller shaft (precaution)
Cleaned the whole tape path (was dirty)

Trying it out it worked very nicely and smoothly giving a crisp picture. However (here it comes) it makes tape loops when using visual search rewind only. It does frame by frame backwards fine but when going quicker it works for about half a second and then the take up spool stops. Prior to the stop I hear a small click like the idler disengaging. I then have to go forwards to gather the tape loop. Rewind without visual search is perfect.

Before I start pulling it apart, has anyone come across this before? Is there something that should engage for this mode that I can check.

Also when ejecting it thinks about making a loop but just about gathers it up so is OK.

As this fault is repeatable and exactly the same each time with the same click I feel that something mechanical is at fault - but what?

Thanks for any help, Ian
Old 25th Aug 2014, 5:10 pm   #2
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Default Re: Panasonic K deck VCR makes tape loops

I've just had the mechanism completely apart and the problem seems to be the idler not clamping together securely. When it pops apart just a tiny bit the friction on the felt pad is massively diminished thus tape loops. It's only held together by friction fit plastic clips. Now to source a new one.
Closed Thread