UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jul 2014, 1:28 pm   #41
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Vintage TV washed up on beach!

It might have fallen from a container on consignment and taken all this time to bob around from Taiwan.

Taken as just a TV of that model, it's not worth much effort, but as a set with a bit of unknown history befind it, it's worth a bit of fun. The local paper might be interested on a quiet day... They'll get 50% of the facts in the article wrong though.

David
Old 2nd Jul 2014, 2:07 pm   #42
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I'm sure they will be! They are always looking for local stories of interest especially if they are a bit bizarre..J.
Old 2nd Jul 2014, 2:46 pm   #43
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

With everything this set has been through all ready surely it deserves a bit of TLC and an attempt to get it going again, even if its just for the challenge.
I hope you have washed off all the salt residue if so you will have improved your chances of success.
Years ago a friend bought me his BRC 1590 portable TV which got caught in an incoming tide. Unfortunately the front tuner mountings had been smashed in and as the TV had been left in the boot of his car for many weeks it was to far gone to be rescued. The main PCB was just a corroded rusted mess.
Old 9th Jul 2014, 11:42 pm   #44
jay_oldstuff
Octode

This is killing me any more news?
As an aside I did pull an 80's Tv, Radio, Tape ghetto blaster out of the canal a few months back. I didn't relay want it but nearly hit it with my boat so dragged it out. I left it on the radiator in my workshop until dry then powered it up. The tape deck is dead but the tv runs and the radio works, its now been pressed into service as my building site radio, it even has a line in so i can plug my iPhone into it.

Jay
Old 10th Jul 2014, 7:28 am   #45
dryad1313
Tetrode

I once rescued a B&W portable that had been dumped in some woodland. It had been there a few weeks by the looks of it, with a good layer of autumn leaves around it. After a good dryout and a purge of insect nests all it had wrong with it was a cracked PCB, probably from being dropped. I got a good five years' of use out of it before the LOPT went. I can't remember what make, but it looked early to mid-70s and had a rotary tuning knob and a loop aerial.
Old 12th Jul 2014, 8:44 am   #46
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
This is killing me any more news?
Hi Jay, I have been away for a few days, so no more progress yet.
I will get back to it in the next few days and report back

Mark
Old 2nd Aug 2014, 11:15 am   #47
mark pirate
Dekatron

As the weather has been so hot, the workshop has been a no go area with over 35 degrees on the thermometer!
Now it is more comfortable, I have had another go at this set.
I tacked in some caps, but still got no sign of EHT, so sadly it is to be used for parts
Just for the hell of it, I have taken out some of the poly caps and tested them.
I was amazed that they are still perfectly fine, unlike the electrolitics which are mostly shot. The CRT was hooked up to my B&K and tests good, shame that the screen is scratched, but may come in handy.
The mains transformer is also fine, and will be kept, as will the tuner LED's and the internal wiring, as I am always running short!
I will remove and test the transistors as well. Then dispose of the set correctly, not chuck it back in the sea
So maybe the set was thrown overboard due to a fault after all?

Mark
Old 2nd Aug 2014, 10:29 pm   #48
stevehertz
Dekatron

I appreciate that you probably don't want to get it wet again, but really all that salt should be rinsed off with clean water to stop future corrosion - that's if the longevity of the TV is of concern to you?! You never know, if you get it working you might fall in love with it...
Old 5th Aug 2014, 4:33 pm   #49
colourking
Pentode

The thread title brought to mind what's seen in the first few seconds of the music video of a song - 'Together in Electric Dreams '- by Philip Oakey & Giorgio Moroder (1984)-

often pops up on the Vintage TV channel and on Youtube at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE1lzqJCeJ0

Last edited by colourking; 5th Aug 2014 at 4:56 pm.
Closed Thread